NEWS

Have Skimmers in both feet, -2 or -4 Physical limit ?

• 12 Replies

Jimmy_Pvish

• Newb
« on: <12-10-15/0551:51> »
the skimmers allow the user to
move at double their normal walking or running speed
when engaged. The fragile balance required to maneuver
them reduces the user’s Physical limit by 2. Note
that these are completely useless unless taken in pairs,
and they’re unusable if the user attempts to carry any
significant extra weight.

Skimmers is useless unless taken in pair and when engaged reduces the user’s Physical limit by 2.
So, the penalty is -2 when use or accumulate to -4?

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <12-10-15/0555:40> »
Otherwise it should have been spelled out.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <12-10-15/1138:32> »
Otherwise it should have been spelled out.

They don't spell out a lot of other things, however, they're useless except taken as a pair, so I concur with Jack_Spade.
"Speech" Thought >>Matrix<< Astral

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <12-10-15/1525:34> »
-4. You'll see a LOT of things in Chrome Flesh that you should take in pairs, but that the costs are always given individually to make math easy ... especially since some can be taken four or more times.

A pair of these give you -4 (-2 each), while a set of four (hi, Pockets!) is -*8*.

You ain't sneakin' on jet feet. :)

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <12-10-15/1632:58> »
Or sprinting!
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Unahim

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <12-10-15/1728:06> »
It says "to maneuver THEM", which is plural. Seems to me the intent is that you take a -2 when using any number of them. I mean, the benefit doesn't go up for using more, so why would the penalty? Don't be silly guys.

"Are you using your Skimmers?"
"Yes, I'm using them."
"The fragile balance required to maneuver them gives you a -2 to your physical limit."
"Ok, cool."

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <12-10-15/1731:30> »
-4 is a bit much especially since the one thing that should mitigate it is high AGI which isn't used to calculate physical limit.

So an 6 AG! 3 STR human will end up with a worse physical limit because of these things than a 3 AGI 6STR human...  sorry all you gold medalist skaters, this was actually built for Arnold Schwarzenegger

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <12-10-15/1733:36> »
It says "to maneuver THEM", which is plural. Seems to me the intent is that you take a -2 when using any number of them. I mean, the benefit doesn't go up for using more, so why would the penalty? Don't be silly guys.

"Are you using your Skimmers?"
"Yes, I'm using them."
"The fragile balance required to maneuver them gives you a -2 to your physical limit."
"Ok, cool."

Wakshanni was one of the authors of the cyber section of chrome flesh...so while it may not read as such, I'm pretty sure he knows what was intended.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <12-10-15/2126:28> »
-4 is a bit much especially since the one thing that should mitigate it is high AGI which isn't used to calculate physical limit.

So an 6 AG! 3 STR human will end up with a worse physical limit because of these things than a 3 AGI 6STR human...  sorry all you gold medalist skaters, this was actually built for Arnold Schwarzenegger

That's still a goblin for me. High strength people running quickly and being more agile is just *weird*. Mark Henry should not be outrunning a pre-knee-injuries Rey Mysterio Junior is all I'm saying. :)

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <12-11-15/1123:13> »
Limits only come into play when skills become involved.  A 6AGI, 3STR character with skimmers has a base run movement of 48 while a 3AGI, 6STR character with skimmers has a base run movement of 24.  No amount of running skill is going to make much of a difference and I'll take the former over the latter every day of the week and twice on Sundays.  Also, the effect strength has on this makes total sense to me.  If you have skated, skied or boarded you have to know that strength is as important or more so in keeping your feet underneath you when they want to flying off somewhere without you.  That's my two cents.

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #10 on: <12-11-15/1246:43> »
Limits only come into play when skills become involved.

Physical Limit is used for knockdown, which is why there's a penalty here. With a -4 on your Physical Limit, almost any damage you take will put you on your ass, IIRC.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <12-11-15/1316:15> »
Limits only come into play when skills become involved.

Physical Limit is used for knockdown, which is why there's a penalty here. With a -4 on your Physical Limit, almost any damage you take will put you on your ass, IIRC.

And since you are running around with a pair of hoverboards strapped to your feet I'm ok with that.  Go to a roller rink, have someone push you then put on some skates and repeat the experiment.  You are going to be a lot easier to knock over.  If you are running around on skimmers you should be doing your best to avoid getting hit in the first place.  Just sayin.

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <12-11-15/1623:38> »
Physical limit also affects unarmed...
So charging unarmed AGI guys get there first but probably doesn't hit anything.
Charging unarmed STR guy gets there later but has a better chance of hitting.
Moral of the story, use a weapon with skates.