NEWS

2 questions (Mage/Face)

• 24 Replies

Lucek

• Newb
« on: <05-09-12/0325:26> »
I've got a game this coming Thursday and I'm making a Mage/face (first time I've played either). I'm trying to pick my spell load out and contacts. So. . .

I'm looking at 2 spells for quickly incompatibility a group. Orgy and stunball. I'm only going to pick 1 so any advice.

2nt this is the list of contacts I've chosen so far.

Decker[L:3 C:2]
Johnson[L:3 C:3]
Mike(safe house general thuggery)[L:4 C:1]
Mob(from made man)[L:4 C:8]

I was thinking of a contact in lonestar and or possibly in local government.

I've got 11BP left to spend.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <05-09-12/0348:10> »
I've got a game this coming Thursday and I'm making a Mage/face (first time I've played either). I'm trying to pick my spell load out and contacts. So. . .

I'm looking at 2 spells for quickly incompatibility a group. Orgy and stunball. I'm only going to pick 1 so any advice.

2nt this is the list of contacts I've chosen so far.

Decker[L:3 C:2]
Johnson[L:3 C:3]
Mike(safe house general thuggery)[L:4 C:1]
Mob(from made man)[L:4 C:8]

I was thinking of a contact in lonestar and or possibly in local government.

I've got 11BP left to spend.

I prefer Stunball myself. its instant so there is nothing to sustain, and the effects last minutes, as opposed to ending when the target is no longer in sight (or moves out  of AOE)

I wouldn't take Mike as a 'safe house' contact. The idea of a safe house is no one knows where you are! He would make a great bartender, or waiter/server (two people who hear alot of gossip/info)
KE/LS is a good idea especially in the magical departments

Change  the "Johnson" to a 'Fixer'.... Fixers can find you items, hook you up with johnsons (and thus jobs), you can sell loot to them, etc. Johnsons usually just provide jobs, and usually don't have much other then 1 or 2 things that need doing.... if they have more then they are Fixers anyway.

A talismonger is an other good contact for a magical character.. that way you can get Foci (or sell them!) and have an ear to the magical community as well 
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Lucek

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <05-09-12/0410:50> »
Made man gives a group contact that can be used as a fence and a source of goods.

TheNarrator

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <05-09-12/0615:39> »
I can say from experience that Stunball is probably the best combat spell in the game. Low Drain, resisted only by Willpower, Area Effect, non-lethal, Mana spell. Works against any living target, in the meat or in astral. Doesn't make a mess, so you need not hesitate to use it in situations where killing would be detrimental. If cast at a decent Force (which you can do because the Drain is low), it has a good chance of knocking out most adversaries. One quick cast and boom, the targets are out cold for the better part of an hour. The only thing it isn't good against is drones and vehicles and other non-living objects.

By contrast, Orgy would only inconvenience the enemy temporary. Once you got out of sight and could no longer sustain it, they would recover entirely and probably be pissed off. After all, you essentially just violated them.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #4 on: <05-09-12/0726:18> »
By contrast, Orgy would only inconvenience the enemy temporary. Once you got out of sight and could no longer sustain it, they would recover entirely and probably be pissed off. After all, you essentially just violated them.

Apples to Oranges, Narrator.

Orgy isn't there for combat incapacitation; it's there for those situations when you need to distract someone without leaving an unconscious body laying around or causing the kind of disruption that KTFOing them would create. Not to mention the danger of the Stun Damage overflowing to Physical and the possibility of sending the target into a fatal Gran Mal seizure.

Plus, lets not forget that an orgasm is a far, far cry from a hangover-inducing blackout or being magically tortured. Orgy creates creates a very pleasurable experience unlike, for example, the mechanically-identical Inflict Pain. You aren't, strictly speaking, causing any sort of actual harm when you cast the spell. That means that Orgy and Orgasm would likely be used for... recreational... purposes quite a bit.

A mage casting a "party drug" spell like Orgy in a rave club, which just happens to distract the security long enough for someone to slip into the offices and do their job, is going to be viewed far differently than slinging combat spells.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Lucek

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <05-09-12/1504:32> »
Maybe I should keep both then? I do have a few build points to spend still and I've not hit my spell cap.

ChromeZephyr

• Newb
  • Listen much, talk little
« Reply #6 on: <05-10-12/1058:34> »
A mage casting a "party drug" spell like Orgy in a rave club, which just happens to distract the security long enough for someone to slip into the offices and do their job, is going to be viewed far differently than slinging combat spells.

Agreed completely, with emphasis mine.  Just like sometimes you negotiate with the Predator in your hand, sometimes you do it with a wine glass.  OP: I'd keep them both, so long as you can keep them at decent Force.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #7 on: <05-10-12/1416:25> »
"You can get further with a kind word and a gun, than you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone (Attributed)
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Morg

« Reply #8 on: <05-10-12/1508:42> »
You may want to consider taking a Virtual group contact like Shadowsea

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #9 on: <05-10-12/1805:58> »
Ssustaining spells does not require maintaining line of sight. You can keep an Orgy spell going for hours. Man, that can really piss people off. Truly exhausting.

Morg

« Reply #10 on: <05-10-12/1824:09> »
I wonder if it can do psychological damage if sustained long enough

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <05-10-12/2042:56> »
I wonder if it can do psychological damage if sustained long enough

Rules are kinda sketchy on things like this..... But you could end up with a sex junkie on your hands... Or maybe a groupie :p

which, when you think about it, COULD be really unpleasant if you used the spell to escape a group of hopped up, cyber packing, agreesive trolls. ("come here magic-boy! Make me tingle again or I'm gonna make myself tingle... WITH you!")

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Morg

« Reply #12 on: <05-10-12/2054:32> »
Rules are kinda sketchy on things like this..... But you could end up with a sex junkie on your hands... Or maybe a groupie :p

which, when you think about it, COULD be really unpleasant if you used the spell to escape a group of hopped up, cyber packing, agreesive trolls. ("come here magic-boy! Make me tingle again or I'm gonna make myself tingle... WITH you!")

I knew i shouldn't have thrown that at force 8

Lucek

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <05-10-12/2336:59> »
If Orgy spell lasts longer then 4 hours call a doctor.

Orgy has some benefits over stunball. For example if you don't incapacitate the target with one hit stunnball gives a -1 penalty for every 3 net hits, Orgy gives a -1 for every net hit.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <05-11-12/0006:40> »
If Orgy spell lasts longer then 4 hours call a doctor.

Orgy has some benefits over stunball. For example if you don't incapacitate the target with one hit stunnball gives a -1 penalty for every 3 net hits, Orgy gives a -1 for every net hit.

True. But only while sustained :(. But the negative pool modifier helps alot to make sure you can get away!