NEWS

Adepts & Initiation

• 2 Replies

j2klbs

• Newb
« on: <11-01-20/1251:10> »
The rules for Initiating (p. 167) states that the awakened character must make a ...

[highest Magic skill] + Magic (desired Initiate grade) extended test

My understanding is that the Magic skills are -->

Conjuring
     Enchanting
     Sorcery

My understanding is that an adept cannot use any of these skills (he could acquire them, but no ability to use them).

Now, getting the lower levels of Intiate is not hard.  But when the Adept wants to get higher levels, he will have to learn one of these skills even though there is no benefit to him.  I'm okay if this is just intended to be a "tax" to the adept, but it seems like a waste to dump karma into a skill that a character will never be able to use.

Is this intended?  Am I overlooking anything?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <11-01-20/1400:29> »
The rules for Initiating (p. 167) states that the awakened character must make a ...

[highest Magic skill] + Magic (desired Initiate grade) extended test

My understanding is that the Magic skills are -->

Conjuring
     Enchanting
     Sorcery

My understanding is that an adept cannot use any of these skills (he could acquire them, but no ability to use them).

Now, getting the lower levels of Intiate is not hard.  But when the Adept wants to get higher levels, he will have to learn one of these skills even though there is no benefit to him.  I'm okay if this is just intended to be a "tax" to the adept, but it seems like a waste to dump karma into a skill that a character will never be able to use.

Is this intended?  Am I overlooking anything?

My view is "any skill that you roll while using one of your Adept Powers".

I interpret this passage based on interpreting the requirement that the skill be used while performing magic rather than the skill needing to be rolled in conjunction with Magic attribute when not initiating.

So for an adept who goes the ninja route, Athletics and Stealth would both be appropriate initiation skills.  A social adept would initiate with Con or Influence.  A kensai would initiate with Close Combat. 
« Last Edit: <11-01-20/1412:05> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

j2klbs

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <11-01-20/1530:29> »
Thanks Stainless!  :D