NEWS

Neo-Tokyo FAQ Discussion

• 90 Replies

WarriorBorn83

• Newb
« Reply #75 on: <05-11-18/0554:25> »
Second post with the remainder of my questions for the FAQ. Some of these are questions my local group came up with.

When selling back non-cultured bioware and cyberware you get 30% of the value. Is this just for upgrading your personal cyberware or bioware, or does this also count for any cyberware or bioware you take off an enemy in a mission?

When using a contact to buy new gear, if you do know the contact’s skills and attributes can you use them when trying to find an item, or must you still use Loyalty + Connection x 2 for the availability test?

Are all previous contacts from seasons 5 – 8 allowed in season 9, or are there going to be a new list of contacts?

In Chrome Flesh, striking callouses increase damage when used in pairs, and bio-weapon claws grant a reach of +1 when used in pairs. Current FAQ says that when using a pair of cyber-weapons they gain a bonus of +1 reach as per bio-weapon claws.
Does this bonus also apply to striking callouses?
Does the bonus from striking callouses also carry over to cyber-weapons?
If so, does this mean that if I use two cyber-weapons my character will get a +1 to damage and +1 to reach? And, if I use four cyber-weapons will my character receive a bonus of +2 to damage and reach?

This next set of questions are not for rules clarification, but rather for the mindset of the next seasons in Neo-Tokyo.

What is the justification for changing what missions Prime Runners can play in? In Chicago, Prime Runners can play in SRMs, CMPs, and PMs. Why go back to say that Prime Runners can only play in PMs?

What is the justification for changing Working for the Man/People for seasons 9-12? The process now seems to be more of a hindrance to do rather than a way of tailoring a character’s advancement, which I took it to be from the book.

Bushido 2.0 is not allowed in missions. But given that this is Neo-Tokyo I think a modified version of Bushido, called Ronin 2.0 or something similar, would be justified for this setting. Can we expect to see a modified Bushido 2.0/Ronin quality for Missions play from the FAQ given how Japanese centric the next few seasons of missions are going to be?

As before, thanks for any help and information anyone can give.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #76 on: <05-11-18/0631:37> »
Well those are about as real as you can ask for. lol

When selling back non-cultured bioware and cyberware you get 30% of the value. Is this just for upgrading your personal cyberware or bioware, or does this also count for any cyberware or bioware you take off an enemy in a mission?

This is a serious issue question, it means some folk are not getting what cyber snatching is, and why it is a no go activity.
Sorry got that out of order but it's the one that most red flagged to me, but it needs to be addressed very specifically.
Read up on cybersnatching it's very bad. Don't do it.

Hey guys. First post here so I figured I'd jump in on the FAQ discussion. I have a few... okay a lot of questions. But I'll try and break them up into a few posts. Sorry if I ask questions that have already been answered. I read through and I think I got all the duplicates.

“In Japanese business dealings, it is expected that the best deal possible is offered upfront. Directly negotiating with your Tanaka-san is an affront to their Honor. When working with your Tanaka-san, a gentle reminder of the difficulties and the professionalism with which the task will be done may place them in a frame of mind to consider a generous bonus.” This sounds like it's still a negotiation test during the mission. Did I miss something, or will there be specific rules for how payment is being made in the future seasons?

Welcome to the forums!
This is already covered in this thread, the short answer is, there is a roll, and it expect your face will conduct themselves correctly the likely out come is, the players won't know what effect of the roll is until the end.

When concealing illegal items, what is the difficulty threshold of the palming test? Are the difficulties different for different security levels of Neo-Tokyo? If so, what are the different areas and their security levels? Or is there a book that maps out Neo-Tokyo and its neighborhoods and security levels?

It's in the core, not as far anyone has said thus far. If there are then they would be addressed in each missions, as they come up. But I'm reasonably sure it won't be an issue.

What are the actions that are considered “potential criminal activity”? I can safely assume any non-HTR violence, non-violent magic in the street, getting caught decking in public, failing a palming test to hide an illegal item, or openly flaunting restricted/illegal gear are safe bets. Are there any others?

GM desecration. Are your players being overtly suspicious well then it's probably PCA.

What are the response times for the two man NTMP patrols? Or are we just supposed to have them show up whenever runners do anything pink mohawk?

What are the stat blocks for the NTMP patrols?
What are the stat blocks and tactics for the HTR Drones for NTMP?
What are the stat blocks and tactics for the HTR Teams for NTMP?
What are the stat blocks for the local Yakuza members?
Or can I just hold my horses and all of the above stat blocks will be in the primer of each mission?

The response time i believe are in the doc, the stat line stuff is easy to adapt from the core, but I'm sure relevant stat blocks will show up in missions as needed. As to the pink mohawk question no. If you get into a fight keep it quick, like you were going to anyways and get the heck out there before the cops show. "But my general advice remains leave gun take the katana."

Under the Prime Runner section, what is a SMH?

Someone else will have to take this one, i don't know.

Most the rest of that stuff should taken up to the rules question section.

As to the Prime runner stuff that beyond my need to know, I think that question my have been answer already though, not sure.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #77 on: <05-11-18/0646:18> »
I can't answer everything, but I can help with at least a few things:

“In Japanese business dealings, it is expected that the best deal possible is offered upfront. Directly negotiating with your Tanaka-san is an affront to their Honor. When working with your Tanaka-san, a gentle reminder of the difficulties and the professionalism with which the task will be done may place them in a frame of mind to consider a generous bonus.” This sounds like it's still a negotiation test during the mission. Did I miss something, or will there be specific rules for how payment is being made in the future seasons?

Yes, it is still a negotiation, mechanically it hasn't changed. This aspect of the cultural difference is specifically being pointed out so that players don't get upset or confused when things are handled differently at their meeting with a Tanaka-san. The Tanaka-san will give you their offer, which is what they feel is a good offer. If the players act in the typical western shadowrunner style and demand more money before they accept the job, then it will be met with poor reactions. This is essentially a warning not to do that, and reassurance that making the negotiation test will still matter.

When concealing illegal items, what is the difficulty threshold of the palming test? Are the difficulties different for different security levels of Neo-Tokyo? If so, what are the different areas and their security levels? Or is there a book that maps out Neo-Tokyo and its neighborhoods and security levels?

Presumably the palming test is opposed by the perception test of the security.

Under the Prime Runner section, what is a SMH?
Shadowrun Missions Holiday. These are usually April Fool's Day missions.

The automatic 30% is just when upgrading your installed 'ware. Trying to sell stuff off at other times would fall under normal fencing gear (Loyalty of contact * 5%). Also: selling implants you've taken off of other people is gross and at least somewhat disturbing.

When using a contact to buy new gear, if you do know the contact’s skills and attributes can you use them when trying to find an item, or must you still use Loyalty + Connection x 2 for the availability test?
So that it is fair for everyone, all contacts use the Loy + Con*2 dice pool.

Are all previous contacts from seasons 5 – 8 allowed in season 9, or are there going to be a new list of contacts?

You could still take one of the Chicago contacts, but their use in Neo-Tokyo would be quite limited.

In Chrome Flesh, striking callouses increase damage when used in pairs, and bio-weapon claws grant a reach of +1 when used in pairs. Current FAQ says that when using a pair of cyber-weapons they gain a bonus of +1 reach as per bio-weapon claws.
Does this bonus also apply to striking callouses?
Does the bonus from striking callouses also carry over to cyber-weapons?
If so, does this mean that if I use two cyber-weapons my character will get a +1 to damage and +1 to reach? And, if I use four cyber-weapons will my character receive a bonus of +2 to damage and reach?
The FAQ says that the bonus for pairing cyber-weapons is +1 reach, nothing more. (It even specifically says that it does not increase damage). And this extra bonus only applies to cyber melee weapons (Core Rulebook), because they don't have any listed bonus for being used in pairs. Implant weapons that already list a bonus for being used in pairs likely don't get more additional bonuses.

What is the justification for changing what missions Prime Runners can play in? In Chicago, Prime Runners can play in SRMs, CMPs, and PMs. Why go back to say that Prime Runners can only play in PMs?

Limiting the scope of the power-level of runners you will see on the normal missions. If a character qualifies for being a Prime Runner, they are (presumably) beyond the scope of the normal missions.

What is the justification for changing Working for the Man/People for seasons 9-12? The process now seems to be more of a hindrance to do rather than a way of tailoring a character’s advancement, which I took it to be from the book.

Preventing abuse of the system. The Core Rulebook never presents the concept of trading in karma for nuyen and vice-versa as anything past character creation. The baseline rules don't offer this system as a way to "tailor character advancement," it just isn't there. I've run for enough characters that are heavily abusing this system to feel that this change is warranted. A change to essentially doubling the cost is pretty nice when you compare it to having the offer removed entirely.

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #78 on: <05-13-18/1258:47> »
For the FAQ, could we get a entry on this https://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=27359.0 topic for the sake of consistency at tables? This is the rules debate on Cyberlimbs, Customization, Enhancements to Cyberlimbs, and Redliner vrs. the Augmentation Max.

By the way, to those in charge of SRM play, I know it is probably a thankless job, but I would like to say that from what I have seen so far all of you are doing a great job.

Thanks
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

Thinking
com
speaking

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #79 on: <05-13-18/1418:55> »
On another Question, I have been given the addiction: Skill wires negative quality. When looking at buying this off since I paid no karma for it do I need to spend Karma to buy it off? I know that I would need to risk withdrawal to do so but I think I would like to take the risk.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

Thinking
com
speaking

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #80 on: <05-13-18/1439:46> »
On another Question, I have been given the addiction: Skill wires negative quality. When looking at buying this off since I paid no karma for it do I need to spend Karma to buy it off? I know that I would need to risk withdrawal to do so but I think I would like to take the risk.

That's actually a pretty normal rules question. (Doesn't need Missions-specific response)

Yes, it still costs karma to buy off a negative quality that was given to you through play.

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #81 on: <05-13-18/1513:50> »
This is why I truly think the rules for addiction in Missions should be looked at especially Hot-SIM, Normal SIM, and Skill Wires. Every time one of these characters uses they have to make a roll and if the accidentally flub the roll they have to purposeful not use to get a withdrawal roll, if they fail they suffer a penalty on the next run of a minimum of -2, if they pass they spend 8 Karma the Karma they just earned the last run to start the whole insanity again.

Anyone that uses skill wires or goes VR, cold or hot has to make this check every run. I am looking at you deckers and riggers, every run. That doesn't sound right to me.

normal addiction rules give you time to reset these thresholds by just not using for a week while healing or looking for gear or some such. Now I understand that abusing the addiction rules for drugs and not being able to have accountability.

Hot-SIM, Legal-Strength SIM, and skill wires should be listed as out of the scope of missions for the purpose of addiction tests or lumped in with the things that are not worth having a negative quality for.

Red

Thinking
com
speaking

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #82 on: <05-13-18/1613:44> »
IIRC, they did change addiction rules for missions, I think the mission rules say something along the lines of if you use you test. Which is very different from the core rules on the subject. The core rules you can setup fairly elaborate drug taking schedule, be pretty much all the time, and never roll an addiction test.
Thinking
com
speaking

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #83 on: <05-13-18/1700:13> »
Yes in mission they did change it. It is the change that I am lobbying to get changed or modified.

If you VR or Skill wires during a module you have to test. normal rules you could spend one week out of VR or 2 Weeks with no wire use and be fine or spend 1 week downtime without wire use and have a threshold 1 test instead of 2. Street Sams don't usually have a high logic + Will.

In the short I thin they where trying to add addiction tests to the game by shortening the test to to every game since the core rules would be hard to enforce, but this means that basic characters are now potentially at risk when they were not abusing the systems in the first place. Not saying drug users where.

I have a problem having characters penalized for fulfilling their archetype. So the rigger at one of my tables accidentally rolled 0 success on 6 dice and now has to pay 8 karma to remove the flaw simple because he went VR. The decker or Technomancer should get upset because they have to make addiction tests every game. In my opinion Skill wire based Street Sams are very inefficient and since having Skillwires at a table is typically nice, since they fill in holes in random tables, rather than game breaking. I don't see why any of these characters should randomly lose Karma due to a single botched roll they have to make every game.

Red

Thinking
com
speaking

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #84 on: <05-13-18/1830:43> »
Addictions in SRM has been an issue for a while, near as I can tell.  I asked earlier with no joy about whether Hot Sim is illegal for the Addiction Negative Quality, given examples such as cigarettes and sex are banned as eligible addictions in SRM.

Hopefully the team gives a good firm guideline about what's a legal addiction and what isn't in the upcoming FAQ.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #85 on: <05-13-18/2355:43> »
Addictions in SRM has been an issue for a while, near as I can tell.  I asked earlier with no joy about whether Hot Sim is illegal for the Addiction Negative Quality, given examples such as cigarettes and sex are banned as eligible addictions in SRM.

Hopefully the team gives a good firm guideline about what's a legal addiction and what isn't in the upcoming FAQ.

Agreed, especially since legal-strength SIM is in there as well, which would include cold SIM. I just bought drug tolerant for my Skillwire guy to help keep me from getting further addicted so all in all it will cost me 20 Karma to hopefully undue a single flubbed roll and to help with further rolls I will have to always hold an edge back to make sure I don't accidentally get more addictions in the future.

Red

Thinking
com
speaking

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #86 on: <05-14-18/1614:58> »
Eh I think your getting lost in the details if you don't think it should be a test then don't make it a test. Your table, your call.
I wouldn't have made folks roll on skill wire that's for sure, or make the test vs alcohol for having a beer or caffeine drinking coffee. 
« Last Edit: <05-14-18/1625:42> by Marcus »
Thinking
com
speaking

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #87 on: <05-14-18/1704:07> »
Just to re-up the question regarding starting-play contacts.  Are there going to be specific NPCs native to NeoTokyo that drive the plot in the same fashion Becky 88, Martin Tate, et al did in Chicago or should we just create unique contacts for our characters based on role?  Heading to Origins soon and want some friends for my character.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #88 on: <05-15-18/1212:15> »
Just to re-up the question regarding starting-play contacts.  Are there going to be specific NPCs native to NeoTokyo that drive the plot in the same fashion Becky 88, Martin Tate, et al did in Chicago or should we just create unique contacts for our characters based on role?  Heading to Origins soon and want some friends for my character.

There has been for every other season so it's a safe assumption.  I'd simply use some generic "Street Doc", "Fixer", "Talismonger", "Yakuza Boss" and ask the GM if they've got a list of contacts and fill in the names at the table.  Or fake it and use the respec option after the first game to tweak a character's list of contacts.  I can't imagine a GM caring if change the names of your contacts since you didn't have a list of Mission Contacts to start with.

Odds are a list of Mission contacts will be along though.  Probably waiting on Artwork  :  )

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #89 on: <05-15-18/1238:57> »
Eh I think your getting lost in the details if you don't think it should be a test then don't make it a test. Your table, your call.
I wouldn't have made folks roll on skill wire that's for sure, or make the test vs alcohol for having a beer or caffeine drinking coffee.

Qualities that are banned in SRM can't fall under the "your table, your call" aegis.  Sex Addiction and Cigarette Addiction are banned.  So while you could or could not decide to make a character roll to see if they get addicted, it's pointless because even if they fail they may not gain the Negative Quality for that addiction.  Aside from the examples given, it's less clear whether other/similar low/no cost addictions are also banned for SRM play.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.