NEWS

Neo-Tokyo FAQ Discussion

• 90 Replies

Tsuzua

• Omae
« Reply #45 on: <03-27-18/1432:48> »
I have some questions about police checks.

Do the police have to do followup rolls to locate firearms? If I’m carrying a light pistol and lose to the location perception roll, do the police know where my light pistol is when they confront me, or am I just a “person possibly carrying a pistol, flagged for followup” and have to search me? If it’s the first, is there really any way to save the pistol other than using a contact (or battle)?

Does the location perception check look for non-firearm restricted items? I know it spots obvious stuff like hellhounds and security armor, but what about the novacoke in my pocket or someone’s ware? What about the smartlink on my taser?

What are the stats of the various drones the NTMP uses? PCs are going to want to spot, hide from, and otherwise interact with them. Spoofing, editing feeds, or otherwise hacking them is going to be on the mind of every hacker. I’m also not sure if the HTR drone is suppose to fight or just observe.

Helzmasher

• Newb
« Reply #46 on: <03-28-18/0119:51> »
Is this FAQ already in play??

Should I use it even if I am still playing in Chicago??

Is The Seattle Gambit legal then??
« Last Edit: <03-28-18/0124:15> by Helzmasher »

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #47 on: <03-28-18/1233:39> »
I don't think the SRM teams means for this FAQ to go live prior to the beginning of season 9.  But I could obviously be wrong.

I'd also appreciate hearing a clarification as to whether games taking place between now and then use these or the SRM Chicago FAQ rules for Working for the Man/People.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #48 on: <03-28-18/1804:27> »
To my understanding It's specific to Season 9 as far as I know there are not yet any season 9 mods so I don't think it's live. I think you could call this review time or something like that, so we can an FAQ together before or at least a thread on it.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #49 on: <03-29-18/1630:45> »
Yeah, my understanding is that this is a preview for Season 9 and doesn't apply until that goes Live, mainly to showcase the changes that are upcoming so that players can prepare, to give an idea of the "look an d feel" of the new campaign so that players can start thinking of appropriate characters, and to build excitement and awareness of the new campaign starting up.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #50 on: <03-30-18/2128:45> »
It was asked upthread and I know the common rulings for Adepts and Astral Signatures but if the missions team has time it would be nice to have it spelled out. 

p. 312 says a Signature lasts one hour per Force.  Adept powers don't have a force per say.  I could see an argument for Magic Rating, I can see an argument for Ranks in the power.  Also, which powers?  Ones that cause Drain like the assorted Boosts?  Ones that take an Action like Rapid Draw and Wall Running?  All Powers like Mystic Armor or Increased Reflexes? 

I can honestly see an argument for a lot of variations, if the team has time to come to agreement :)   any direction to the GMs would be handy.  For more than just Tokyo.

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
« Reply #51 on: <04-02-18/2015:27> »
Hallo!  I didn't want to write this post yesterday because... well...  SR is known for running with April Fools...

In any case:

Quote from: Separate FAQs
The intent is to continue the FAQ as a single document.  I suppose having it titled 'Neo Tokyo' FAQ becomes sort of a misnomer, in that case.  We'll look at the format and see about making a single document that is easily referenced regardless of which Seasons you are running.  If the rules diverge, it should say so, specifically (such as the rules surround Cash for Karma).  Chicago players can use Street Legal and refer to the section in the NT FAQ and we'll clarify on next release.

Quote from: Tsuzua, I see your questions!
  I must refer you to the last paragraph of section 2, 'In Gamemaster We Trust'.  The intent with the police rules isn't to screw folks over or make it impossible to move through Neo-Tokyo with your pistol (or indeed, even your light machinegun... necessity is the mother of invention and I assure you, runners will find a way!).  The Gamemasters know this.

If it were MY table: The patrol that gets tipped off to our firearms does not automagically know where it is.  If you've got some exceptional Palming skills and some exceptional Con with some buddies who are doing it well... hey, maybe you got inappropriately flagged.  Since your SIN checks out, have a good day, Citizen.

Novacoke in your pocket won't get spotted.  I'll never check to see if it gets spotted unless your tell me that you are making a purposeful show of waving it about.  Probably won't be going after the External Smartlink on your Taser unless it was part of a bigger picture, like two or three things that might not gain attention on their own, but all together they have ramped up suspicion.

As for ware, if you got some wackadoo add-ons that stick out or if you took Distinctive Style 'Funky Ware', you might become quite a curiosity for the local patrols.  But under normal circumstances, nah.

As for drones, no, that won't be in the FAQ.  You want to know what they're running take some appropriate knowledge skills and see what you come up with on a few successful rolls.  That 1 hit on a perception check will tell you if it has a gun on it, though.  If it's got a gun on it, it'll probably shoot at you...

Quote from: Astral Signatures
We are adding in clarification for Astral Signatures.  The Adepts and Foci question is one we'll have to take a look at.
That's just like... your opinion, man.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #52 on: <04-03-18/1100:36> »
Thank you!

tequila

• Chummer
« Reply #53 on: <04-04-18/1556:03> »
I see in the Run & Gun section the entry for hiring someone to modify your weapon, but what about for modifying armor? I was going to use this entry, but didn't know what the thresholds and interval should be.
#thistasergoesto11

Quote from: Tarislar
ArmTech MGL-12: Nothing says love like a 3 round burst of HE Grenade to hit something for 32P
Nuff said.  :-X

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #54 on: <04-04-18/1640:55> »
I see in the Run & Gun section the entry for hiring someone to modify your weapon, but what about for modifying armor? I was going to use this entry, but didn't know what the thresholds and interval should be.

Can you be more specific with the term modify? Do you meaning adding things too said armor? Or Something else?
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

tequila

• Chummer
« Reply #55 on: <04-04-18/1725:47> »
Sorry about that.  By modifying I meant adding armor customizations and options (Insulation, Fresnel Fabric, biomonitor, etc.).
#thistasergoesto11

Quote from: Tarislar
ArmTech MGL-12: Nothing says love like a 3 round burst of HE Grenade to hit something for 32P
Nuff said.  :-X

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #56 on: <04-04-18/1903:17> »
Related questions:

Are any additional Missions going to be released for the Chicago Season?

When does Neo-Tokyo debut?
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #57 on: <04-04-18/2147:05> »
All of the Season 8 missions are in the Agent Drop box, for whatever that's worth.  May or may not be more CMPs for Chicago in the pipeline, couldn't say.

Neo-Tokyo is out at GenCon in August I think. 

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #58 on: <04-05-18/0907:21> »
Right, but we are both missing a few (for example, PRM 3 is unplayable/unrunnable due to being so incomplete), and I also don't know if anything more was planned for release this year for Chicago. Just seeking clarification basically.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #59 on: <04-05-18/1042:54> »
Right, but we are both missing a few (for example, PRM 3 is unplayable/unrunnable due to being so incomplete), and I also don't know if anything more was planned for release this year for Chicago. Just seeking clarification basically.

My understand is that SRM 08-06 is the final Chicago Missions Adventure and ends the campaign. 

Neo Tokyo will kick off at Origins in June, and the first of the 2018 CMPs will be run there as well, and are presumably a part of NeoT as well since it would be silly to expect players to have 2 separate characters for the core campaign at the convention (if any Prime Missions are being run, they'd be an exception, of course).

As for publicly released adventures, the last SRM to go up was SRM 08-02, so there are still four more of those to go out for sale.