NEWS

Suggestion: remove "Shooting people in the face"

• 21 Replies

DoubleDome

• Newb
« on: <08-13-16/1855:46> »
"... is a given".  This is rather off-putting, especially for casual gamers new to Shadowrun, but is almost the first sentence.  Please correct the tone.

White hat campaigns are a good match for these rules, as are games with younger players.  As written, I would hesitate to hand the rules to a teen-age player's mom...

GreatPoogie

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <09-07-16/1453:30> »
This is a horrible way for me to start off my first post, but... the tone? How do you think the rest of the conversation will go?
Mom: "So what kind of game is this?"
Player: "Well, a futuristic storytelling game where you play criminals without IDs, sometimes selling their souls and chopping their limbs off for some sweet cyberware, taking jobs from anonymous people that want you to do morally dubious jobs in a world that regularly touches on Snuff-BTL and Bunraku slavery."
Mom: "..."

Any way you slice it, that's gonna be an awkward conversation, chummer.

Raiderjoseph

• Omae
  • When in doubt, blame the dragons.
« Reply #2 on: <09-07-16/1637:09> »
Younger players?... Kids play shadowrun? Are their PCs all "Nothing personal kid." Ninjas? I would love to see someone GM that campaign.
From To<<Matrix message>>
Thoughts
Mentor
"As a Mage I have no issue with 'shoot the face first'. He deserves it and it's about time they stopped targeting me right from the go." -The Tekwych

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <09-07-16/2207:22> »
"It's cyberpunk Ocean's Eleven with elves and magic!"

... Sometimes, you guys get way too hung up on the unimportant details.

Raiderjoseph

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <09-07-16/2214:00> »
"It's cyberpunk Ocean's Eleven with elves and magic!"

... Sometimes, you guys get way too hung up on the unimportant details.

I call infinite dibs on being Brad Pitt's Rusty Ryan.
Thoughts
Mentor
"As a Mage I have no issue with 'shoot the face first'. He deserves it and it's about time they stopped targeting me right from the go." -The Tekwych

GreatPoogie

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <09-08-16/0122:20> »
Well in that case I'm Saul... with Clooneys looks, though.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <09-08-16/0851:36> »
To be fair, I've been playing SR on and off since I was six. In fact, my very first character was a Harlequin lookalike. Because, and I quote, "He's pretty."

I was an odd child.
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #7 on: <09-08-16/1002:57> »
It's like "The A-Team," but Mr. T is a bionic troll and Hannibal knows magic.
« Last Edit: <09-08-16/1005:09> by Sphinx »

Raiderjoseph

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <09-08-16/1053:35> »
It's like "The A-Team," but Mr. T is a bionic troll and Hannibal knows magic.

One might argue that you have pretty much described the actual A-Team.
Thoughts
Mentor

GreatPoogie

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <09-08-16/1328:15> »
In all honesty, though... Shadowrun does it kinda perfectly in accordance to the American lifestyle: Maximum violence, minimum sexuality, where the latter is always hinted at to be a thing with "once it meant something" (I swear I just read that somewhere... Maybe the 6th World Almanac or the Core Rulebook), but is rarely mentioned in the descriptive foreground. No offense intended for any y'all Americans, it's just weird because the discussion usually starts the other way around, something being too sexual.

I don't see an issue with "shooting people in the face" as a game description, but then again maybe I'm in the minority. That's usually what I thought while playing my Assault Rifle Deckers and Shamans in the Returns trilogy, and what I see myself doing once I got into my first actual SR5 game :P

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <09-08-16/1338:26> »
In all honesty, though... Shadowrun does it kinda perfectly in accordance to the American lifestyle: Maximum violence, minimum sexuality, where the latter is always hinted at to be a thing with "once it meant something" (I swear I just read that somewhere... Maybe the 6th World Almanac or the Core Rulebook), but is rarely mentioned in the descriptive foreground. No offense intended for any y'all Americans, it's just weird because the discussion usually starts the other way around, something being too sexual.

I don't see an issue with "shooting people in the face" as a game description, but then again maybe I'm in the minority. That's usually what I thought while playing my Assault Rifle Deckers and Shamans in the Returns trilogy, and what I see myself doing once I got into my first actual SR5 game :P

No offense taken.  ;D

Sex is mentioned in Street Grimoire under the Geas section, and you can hire a prostitute under "services".
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

The Tekwych

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <09-08-16/1350:57> »
As a Mage I have no issue with 'shoot the face first'. He deserves it and it's about time they stopped targeting me right from the go.

GreatPoogie

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <09-08-16/1428:15> »
As a Mage I have no issue with 'shoot the face first'. He deserves it and it's about time they stopped targeting me right from the go.

This... deserves some sort of award for the wittiest remark of the thread or something :D

Raiderjoseph

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <09-08-16/1640:08> »

This... deserves some sort of award for the wittiest remark of the thread or something :D
Gotcha covered.
Thoughts
Mentor

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #14 on: <09-09-16/0331:38> »

As an other mage,

I approve this message!!!!
(Pass it on to all your gun toting troll friends!)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.