NEWS

[5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapters II and III

• 2014 Replies

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #660 on: <01-01-15/1642:12> »
@Tec - How are you handling spell range? Is there a range penalty for spells, or is it "if you can see it, you can hit it"? The binoculars will give me better visual acuity, but I'm assuming that sniping with Fireball from over a mile away is too cheesy. Or sniping with Control Thoughts. Granted, it's not too OP as they will likely have mages enough to counterspell anyway, but if we do come up against an entirely mundane group of opponents, I just want to know what the limits are for ranged casting.

Line of sight means if you can see it you can hit it. However, per p. 281, "Spellcasting by visual targeting is subject to normal visibility modifiers." From the Environmental Modifiers table on p. 175, that's the Visibility column (rain/fog/smoke) and the Light/Glare column. Sniping from a mile away a legitimate tactic, but good luck with sight lines like that in the mountains in the winter.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #661 on: <01-01-15/1658:42> »
Also, when the conversation turns to smooth-talking your way into the neighbor's home, Ace remembers that he's a pretty good BS artist himself. Ace has Con 4.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #662 on: <01-01-15/1715:52> »
Also, when the conversation turns to smooth-talking your way into the neighbor's home, Ace remembers that he's a pretty good BS artist himself. Ace has Con 4.

Realizing that, it might be better if Ace went solo.  One strange man is less threatening than two.  If so, and it seems that Tecumseh and I are both on now, we might be able to deal with that bit of business very quickly.  Thoughts?
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #663 on: <01-01-15/1731:42> »
I'd have to retcon my last post, but I'm fine with that too.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #664 on: <01-01-15/1732:57> »
I am signing off soon to head to the gym. I will be online a bit tonight and most of the day tomorrow.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #665 on: <01-01-15/1735:57> »
I'd have to retcon my last post, but I'm fine with that too.

nah, let's just run with it.  It's probably the smarter play anyway, on the off chance this is a magically active old couple that's going to summon spirits to defend them, if I frag up an attack roll. 

In other news, do we know the name of the guy whose house we've been squatting in?
« Last Edit: <01-01-15/1737:36> by rednblack »
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #666 on: <01-01-15/1845:01> »
Holding off on next IC for Tec to handle the old couple and give us a name for our generous host. Having Doc find the couple's names would also be a bonus.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #667 on: <01-01-15/1848:49> »
@Tec - you beat me to it, but I was about to post here that I updated my latest IC post to reflect a call to Doc for the names of the couple.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #668 on: <01-01-15/1853:12> »
You don't have the names of the neighbors.

The owner of the cabin you're staying in is Joseph Moran. There was some IC description here and here:
http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=18749.msg333768;topicseen#msg333768
http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=18749.msg334806;topicseen#msg334806

Go ahead and do Etiquette rolls, plus Con if you're going to be spinning tall tales. Make any other rolls you feel are relevant (e.g. Perception or Assensing if you're looking for something).

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #669 on: <01-01-15/1916:54> »
On my phone right now. Will matrix search their names when I get home. @tec can I just buy hits on that?
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #670 on: <01-01-15/1940:39> »
Nope.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #671 on: <01-01-15/2000:32> »
Agent; Encryption; Toolbox; Baby Monitor
A:4 S:5  D:6(7) F:7(8 )
Matrix Search on Neighbors Names Computer(5) + Intuition(4) + Ganglia (1) + VR(2) - Wounds(1)= 11: 11d6t5 4 (limit 7)

I've no idea what the difficulty is, if these folks are not publicized then this will take some time as its 3 hits to find them and 1 to drop it to 15 min.  If they are "normal" and it's 1 hit to find that gives me 3 to reduce the time down to 7.5 seconds.  If they are actively hiding then we are buggered :P
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #672 on: <01-01-15/2035:16> »
I'm letting Ace start the conversation so I can peek at their auras and look for potential astral protection and avoid the -2 penalty to my other rolls.

I don't know that I can add the specifically looking (though I am mostly looking to see if they are awakened, wary, and if there are spirits nearby on guard):
Assensing the couple and their surroundings [Intuition 4 + Assensing 4 - Wounds 1]: 7d6t5 2

Etiquette (when it comes up):
Etiquette [Charisma 6 + Etiquette 6 - Wounds 1]: 11d6t5 6
I've charmed their socks off.

And Con:
Con [Charisma 6 + Con 5 - Wounds 1]: 10d6t5 6
Holy cow, I conned their socks off, too.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #673 on: <01-01-15/2044:50> »
At this point, I'm waiting on Ace to post the introductions and cover story, then I can take over with the request for suggestions on spending our time in Aspen. I'm also still waiting on the results of my test with the alcohol and my Assensing of the couple and their house.

A roll for the alcohol observation if needed. I'm using the specifically looking modifier but you can drop dice if you feel it's not appropriate:
Assensing the result of alcohol on the infection [Intuition 4 + Assensing 4 + Specifically looking 3 - Wounds 1]: 10d6t5 3

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #674 on: <01-02-15/1318:44> »
Another quick question on rules - the illusion spell is obvious in the Astral, but does it still obfuscate or cover objects within/behind it (similar to  a mana barrier or any other Astral object) or is it completely pierced with no ill effect for the observer?