NEWS

[5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapters II and III

• 2014 Replies

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #570 on: <12-24-14/0030:49> »
What me to roll for stealing the RV here or do you want to do that through pm also?
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #571 on: <12-24-14/0037:10> »
Tecumseh, I would highly recommend you house rule the way Movement works in regards to vehicles, if the group ends up attempting such a thing. By rules as written, you take the hits (not net hits), multiply them by the vehicle's Acceleration, and add the result to the Speed. I haven't seen the Buffalo in 5th edition, but even if it has Speed 1 Acceleration 1, a successful use of Movement (8 hits) will at a minimum bring it up to Speed 9. That's 1,908 mph running speed, which is in excess of Mach 2.

The problem with Movement is that they copy/pasted it from an earlier edition, back when Speed was an actual measurement of meters per turn. Now it's a flat number, which increases exponentially. According to the table on page 202, each rating of Speed is double the rating below it. Speed 5 is twice as fast as Speed 4, which is twice Speed 3, etc.

I've done the math for shits and giggles. Thanks to the exponential increase, and multiplying by Acceleration, it's totally possible with a sufficiently good roll to use Movement and take a GMC Banshee to Alpha Centauri in a single combat turn.
« Last Edit: <12-24-14/0047:50> by Ryo »

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #572 on: <12-24-14/0046:42> »
We can do that here. You don't see the icon for the RV so you presume it is slaved to the host of the house. Per your earlier recon, you know that the host rating of the house is 4 and its Firewall is 7. If that is sounding too daunting, someone could just go lockpick the RV (likely Ace) and hotwire it manually or via direct connection. Or, on that note, you could also do a direct connection to the maglock on the door too. Or you could bust down the front door and steal the keys/commlink from the older couple there.

Ryo brings up a good point. It seems that if you put some wings on the RV the you might be able to get it airborne after all. I stand corrected.

I'll consider appropriate ways to houserule it if we get to that stage.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #573 on: <12-24-14/0059:33> »
The amount of hits required makes such a thing impractical, to say the least. My general thought was instead of heading north or south, to head down. We're at the top of a bunch of ski runs, so there are paths, but I'm guessing very few of us know how to ski. Hence the curiosity about what options spirits might open up.

Once at the bottom, we'd then have to either climb another slope to the east or west (depending on our direction of travel) or follow a ravine to an exit. Neither option is likely to include roads, so a spirit of man using movement would not help. But a spirit of earth could make that a viable option.

Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #574 on: <12-24-14/0121:25> »
I'd be down for going with Ace and Chino to the RV and getting us direct connections if we want to go that route.  Don't know if I've got any sneak, but if I do, we can sneak in.  Ace picks the lock, and I get hack the vehicle.

And I can't spoof anything to get the device to invite marks right?  I have to be the owner for that, which will take me several hours even using a bunch of edge.  If we want the RV badly enough, could I burn a point of edge for "Smackdown" on this?  The rules on page 57 don't say anything about extended tests, just actions.  I'm kinda loathe to burn edge, but if it's the best thing to do I can.  I'd love input.

Alternatively, we can hotwire it the old fashion way and I can work on stealing ownership while we're on the move.

8-bit

« Reply #575 on: <12-24-14/0211:59> »
And I can't spoof anything to get the device to invite marks right?  I have to be the owner for that, which will take me several hours even using a bunch of edge.  If we want the RV badly enough, could I burn a point of edge for "Smackdown" on this?  The rules on page 57 don't say anything about extended tests, just actions.  I'm kinda loathe to burn edge, but if it's the best thing to do I can.  I'd love input.

Actually, if you have a Mark on the owner you can spoof command. Which, I don't think is possible since the Owner device/persona isn't around. If I'm not forgetting anything.

I would also hesitate on burning Edge, if Chino and Ace can get to the RV, you can just directly connect and get 3 Marks for Control Device; quickly, I might add.

Also, my apologies on being really quiet, and kind of away for a while. Been stumped and not feeling very creative; while Christmas has kept me busy and all. I'll see what I can do for IC.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #576 on: <12-24-14/0300:28> »
If I get a mark on the device or host, I'll get a mark on the owner. Then I'd be able to, but from what I've read there's debate about wether the device can invite marks or if only the owner can. 

8-bit

« Reply #577 on: <12-24-14/0317:44> »
If I get a mark on the device or host, I'll get a mark on the owner. Then I'd be able to, but from what I've read there's debate about wether the device can invite marks or if only the owner can.

No, not necessarily. You get a Mark on what it's slaved to; that doesn't have to be the Owner. If they happen to be one and the same, I guess I see the problem. Still, I'm pretty sure spoofing Marks would be the number 1 thing to do with that action, but I guess that's a GM decision. Not trying to put any words or anything in Tecumseh's mouth; just my perspective on it.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #578 on: <12-24-14/1120:13> »
I'm worried that picking the lock on the RV and manually hacking it will have SecForce after us with the license plate numbers very quickly.  I'm willing to play it that way, and there is the chance that the old couple will go through the rest of their day and into the next morning before they realize it's gone, but it's risky.  The other option is dealing with the old couple in some way, but that's also unsavory.  Thoughts? 

Like 8-bit, I'm hesitant to burn edge here. 

Also, I would prefer if we didn't have to go on foot.

@Tecumseh, is it ok if we retcon buying a Metalink for everyone on the team while Ace and Katsina were out this afternoon?  It kept slipping my mind during posting.

Last, we need to figure out security via what we leave behind at the house.  Luckily, Ace doesn't have to worry about finger prints, but I'm sure he left a hair or two behind on the couch, and there's always DNA on our utensils, etc.  A lot of that stuff will be jumbled in with the rightful owner's, but it makes me nervous.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #579 on: <12-24-14/1421:49> »
@Malevolence
You're actually at the bottom of a lot of ski runs. Aspen is in a valley and the ski runs go up the mountainsides to the south and west.

@Zweiblumen
Doc, when considering his sneakiness, realizes he has Stealth Group 1. However, his non-cybearm agility is poor, limiting his sneaking ability. He has Agility 2 (but 6 for his cyberarm).

Burning Edge is such a drastic option that I'm inclined to say yes, it can be used on an extended test. In this case, burning edge would allow Doc to switch ownership of a device within one hour.

If you're going to hack the RV, you may want to consider rebooting to clear your Overwatch Score first. There are pros and cons to each approach, but I figured Doc would remember and consider it.

@8-bit
No worries on being quiet. It's the holidays and we all have plenty going on. I won't be looking for regular posts until after New Year's.

Separately, I already ruled that devices cannot request marks on themselves. Or, more expansively, that the Spoof command cannot be used for any matrix action that requires Ownership. I know there are lots of opinions on both sides of the issue but that was my conclusion after rules lawyering for a couple hours.

@rednblack
The old couple next door is a potential liability if you boost their ride. There are different approaches of varying degrees of severity. Tying them up and hauling them along is an option. Ohanzee has Control Thoughts, although if this will draw out a Thor Shot-level response if word gets back to SecForce. Or you could blow up the house you're staying in and hope the couple next door don't notice that their RV is gone in the confusion, at least until you're long gone.

I'm going to say no to the retcon to buy the Metalinks, if only because Ace and Katsina never made it to the electronics store to buy the security tags that were requested. That said, you do have the commlinks from the poachers, although these are not entirely clean. Presumably their families are looking for them, or will be soon. (They are currently turned off.)

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #580 on: <12-24-14/1547:51> »
Looking at the map, there are plenty of roads through town besides the 82/Main St. It might be more prudent to just try driving around their dragnet. I'm guessing they are not the only team in town looking, so Katsina's Detect Enemies spell will be handy. Might even be prudent to have her get the rental car again and lead the way, acting as a scout - easier to do a last minute route change ("But honey, I want to go to the perfume store on 7th!") in a car than a giant motorhome.

Again, it would be useful to get eyes on so that we know exactly what they are using to search at the intersection. For all we know, they are just looking for the SUV we stole, or the van we were originally in. Or maybe they are stopping vehicles and doing a visual inspection. Or maybe  they have some mojo working. So we should hold off on a final plan until Doc is finished with his sneak and peek.

Ohanzee's probably going to have to get our purchases redirected to wherever we are staying next. "Fluffy had a mishap and a buddy of mine is a Vet in Carbondale, so I'm staying with him for a few days while Fluffy recuperates", or something.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #581 on: <12-24-14/1552:25> »
Actually, the Detect Enemies spell is Touch targeted, so it could be placed on any one of us. Ace, being the stealthy, fast type, might be ideal as he could scout on foot, quickly in low traffic areas, providing the best option. He might get a different set of pings as Katsina did, and perhaps wildly different than anyone from Blue Team, but hopefully our most dangerous pursuers are looking for all of us.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #582 on: <12-24-14/1612:28> »
Actually, the Detect Enemies spell is Touch targeted, so it could be placed on any one of us. Ace, being the stealthy, fast type, might be ideal as he could scout on foot, quickly in low traffic areas, providing the best option. He might get a different set of pings as Katsina did, and perhaps wildly different than anyone from Blue Team, but hopefully our most dangerous pursuers are looking for all of us.

Good thinking, Mal.  The only potential issue I could see is if Ace's handlers still think he's on board, and so he doesn't get pinged until he draws his weapon in response to a firefight already going on.  I think that chance is pretty slim, admittedly. 
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #583 on: <12-26-14/2307:20> »
OK, everything is starting to look up again.

I'll have something up by the end of the weekend.

Sorry for the delay.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #584 on: <12-27-14/2005:52> »
Again, no apologies necessary. I've been out-of-pocket most of the week. I will be driving home all day tomorrow. Monday I will have more regular internet access again. Are people generally around next week? If so, we can resume a normal pace. If not, we can keep it slow until after New Year's.