NEWS

[5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapters II and III

• 2014 Replies

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #510 on: <12-18-14/2034:00> »
Re: hacked car destination - Chances are that it doesn't matter - he's likely to notice that car missing long before it gets to Carbondale, but hopefully that will still work for us.

Ohanzee wants to take this new knowledge - that the device seems to eat minds, souls, whatever, and see if he is familiar with any artifacts that might do that.
Magical Artifacts [Log 3 + Magical Artifacts 4 - Wounds 1]: 6d6t5 0
Critical Glitch! Sweet!
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #511 on: <12-18-14/2040:46> »
Not to ruin what might be a potentially interesting misunderstanding, but I don't remember where the "with input from the Awakened characters" concept came from ICly. I'm guessing Ohanzee or Sam but I don't recall where they got the notion from. I don't think it was me.
Here.

Sam hesitates for a moment, then remembers an old saying. In for a penny, in for a pound. He has no idea what pennies or pounds are, but he understands the meaning of the phrase. He sets his micro-transceiver to broadcast only to Chino."I have in my possession a bomb that is too powerful and too specific in nature to have any purpose other than the destruction of that object. It is also too complicated in construction for me to have built it without the knowledge of the rest of the team. Despite it's complexity, I get the distinct impression I built it on the fly. All these things considered lead me to believe that, despite its seeming importance, our plan was to destroy it." While Chino is letting all of that process, another message comes in over the comm.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #512 on: <12-18-14/2043:24> »
Of course, I'm just now noticing the "built it on the fly" part, so chances are we didn't bring it with us. This could preclude my assumption about the intent to use it as a WMD. Of course, that was why I had Raven promote that line of thought, in case I was wrong.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #513 on: <12-18-14/2105:38> »
That's it. Thanks Mal
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #514 on: <12-18-14/2110:01> »
Of course, it could have been a critical glitch on his demolitions roll to determine the purpose of the bomb. But It's best not to think about that and stick with IC knowledge.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #515 on: <12-18-14/2134:23> »
I think there might be some confusion around phrasing. I think what he meant was "without the rest of the team knowing about it  (i.e. not in secret)" rather than "with the help and the expertise of the team".

8-bit

« Reply #516 on: <12-18-14/2138:01> »
I thought it was just with the permission of the team?

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #517 on: <12-19-14/1030:27> »
I think there might be some confusion around phrasing. I think what he meant was "without the rest of the team knowing about it  (i.e. not in secret)" rather than "with the help and the expertise of the team".

you are correct in your assumption.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #518 on: <12-19-14/1124:27> »

you are correct in your assumption.

Well, that changes things somewhat for my OOC thinking.  Hmmmm.

ETA: what kinds of sporting rifles and ammunition are available at Hamilton's?  Also, does Ace have an idea of what kind of system his SIN would be up against should he choose to purchase a firearm over the other sundries?
« Last Edit: <12-19-14/1154:21> by rednblack »
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #519 on: <12-19-14/1324:27> »
Okay. I now have these three pieces of information that I missed before that completely change the picture:

1. The bomb is removable by Sam easily, but would be near impossible by anyone else. It also has a 1 hour timer
2. It was assembled hastily
3. It did not take input from the rest of the party, but was obvious enough that the rest of the party at least knew what was going on.

I have another question or two - was the bomb specifically tailored to the artifact or just the crate that the artifact was in? Was there any evidence that we may have opened the crate previous to our loss of memory?

I'm going to have a tremendous amount of editing to do on my IC, or I just have to roll with it - retcon or chalk it in game up to the same misunderstanding I had out of game. Any suggestions on how to proceed IC?

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #520 on: <12-19-14/1338:53> »
I have another question or two - was the bomb specifically tailored to the artifact or just the crate that the artifact was in? Was there any evidence that we may have opened the crate previous to our loss of memory?

1- Due to the nature of the bomb, i believe it was specifically built with this obelisk in mind.
2- No evidence, but its reasonable. It wasn't locked or anything and it was just wood.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #521 on: <12-19-14/1342:02> »
@Mal, I wouldn't retcon. I'd chalk it up to IC communication issues and move forward.

The two additional questions are very pertinent. They both have IC answers. Sam knows the answer to the first (which Poindexter just posted OOCly). There are IC clues to the second from when Ohanzee examined the obelisk in the van on the way to Aspen.

@rednblack
Sporting Rifles
Remington 950
Ruger 100
There are many other sporting rifles in Gun H(e)aven 3, which I don't have yet. It's possible that some of those could be available.
Prices are 10% lower than book price.

Available ammo includes regular rounds, flechette, and frangible. PCC cracks down hard on exotic forms of ammunition, but anything for hunting is generally acceptable.

Katsina will remind Ace about the Pioneer 60 back at the house when I have a chance to post ICly, which may be a few hours. This may (or may not) have ownership issues associated with it.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #522 on: <12-19-14/1345:59> »
Doc just posted some musing he's privvy to about the bomb IC.  Dunno if that helps or hurts :P
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #523 on: <12-19-14/1349:56> »
@Katsina, Re: ownership issues, can Doc just Dataspike any RFIDs?  I know the weapon won't then be Ace's, or anyone on the team's, but will that stop someone from tracking it via chips?
« Last Edit: <12-19-14/1355:37> by rednblack »
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #524 on: <12-19-14/1352:25> »
With those three pieces of info, my new take on the timeline pre-amnesia:

First, this timeline:
Before 10pm - We run into a problem that the Johnson failed to mention, we suspected intentionally. Blue Team may be unaware of this info as the conversation with the Johnson might not have been shared with them
10pm - Sam renegotiates with Johnson and fails. Probably the point at which the plan involving the bomb is conceived. Again, Blue team likely unaware of the details here
12am - we wake up in the van, memories wiped clean, bomb unused.

Thoughts:
We were hired to retrieve the artifact. It is unknown whether we knew what it was or not. It sounds like we did not - probably promised a milk run and realized that stealing such a powerful artifact would piss off a number of people.
We discovered what we had in our possession and that we had been misled, potentially fatally.
We devised a scheme to get our money and get out safely:
 a. Just before meetup (probably at a new location chosen by us), attach bomb. If they don't pay, artifact goes boom. If they kill us, artifact goes boom.
 b. Blast radius is such that we can be allowed to take our money and leave the meeting site (ensuring our safety) before disabling it since we would be unlikely to get far enough away to survive if we didn't honor our word to not detonate
We activate the artifact - accidentally most likely - and it knocks us unconscious and takes our memories. Chances are it won't trigger for us again since it already has our true selves (souls). Crash ensues. The activation might have been during the attaching of the bomb.

Which brings me to another question - was the bomb loose in the van or still stored in Sam's bag of tricks? If it was loose then that strengthens the argument that we activated the artifact while attaching it, which would then mean that we were within an hour of our planned meet-up.

OOC knowledge:
Red and Blue team were likely not working together as we had not synchronized our radio communications. Also, Katsina had been using her influence spell on Ohanzee at least, perhaps others. With our memories wiped, that becomes mostly irrelevant other than attempting to rebuild the timeline. In other words, our plans may have changed mid-mission as a result of Blue Team's influence. In fact, Sam's anger might not be attributed so much to our discovering something new about the mission as much as an implanted distrust.

Oh, how I wish Grimwulf had used Assensing in the early moments after the team awakened...