NEWS

FAQ curiosity--drakes

• 3 Replies

Teknodragon

• Omae
« on: <08-08-11/0100:04> »
Just curious as to the reasons behind disallowing the Drake quality in Missions-- power issues, playability issues, GM/player issues, metaplot issues?

Not looking to spark a drekstorm, just wondering about the why's and fors.
Life is short, the night is long, and we still have ammo.

Valashar

• Omae
  • I'm always angry, but I usually hide it well.
« Reply #1 on: <08-08-11/0855:32> »
I'm guessing it's the same reason free spirits, AIs, shapeshifters and Infected PCs aren't allowed. Missions adventures are written so they can cover a fairly general (read: semi-predictable) power level. These types of characters have power levels, abilities, or inherent natures that place them outside of that central 'curve'. Often, as in the case of AIs or free spirits, they're not even able to exist in some of the adventure environments (no matrix, excessive background count, etc.). Drakes bring a whole slew of inherent abilities that place them well outside the standard power 'curve'.
Shadowrun Missions: GenCon 2013

We groped the cat, and tazed the baby.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #2 on: <08-08-11/1010:52> »
Actually, I would not be surprised if it's mainly plot related.

Drakes tend to show up once or twice in an entire nation. Missions being what it is, having a dozen or more pop up suddenly in whatever city the current Season is might be a bit odd.

Drakes are incredibly easy to screw up in build. Power-wise they give up on a lot to have their racial abilities.

-k

Rapier

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <09-28-11/1433:08> »
Not only that but they ARE Drakes.

To me they are akin to a hunted species by Dragons (or highly sought at least).

What if instead of trying to get the sword in Smugglers Blues, Lung and Saeder Krupp shift their focus on acquiring the Drake character instead (if their local operatives understand one of the runner is 1?)? Would the Draco foundation ty to protect the character even if he had bad faction with them?...Is a trained and maybe magically active Drake in good health worth more than $600K for these 2, you bet!

All toons with the characteristics you mentionned would be sought after by many groups/factions for what they are alone.

My 2 centa