NEWS

missions mage

• 8 Replies

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« on: <08-14-20/2313:10> »
About the only way I get to play SR is missions online play, if my in person(zoom currently) group is playing it I'm running it.  So, as missions is moving to 6e I made a character through hero lab. Which claims its legit math wise.

I'm sure there are bad choices, like 1 why put points into alchemy. Well that one is more background oriented, as I was going for well rounded college trained mage. And partly I have the futile hope they will fix it, and if they do it would be nice to already be 5 points in.  1 strength is rough though, but I couldn't find the points. I'd of liked to squeeze a specialty or 2 in but ran out of points. Maybe exceptional attribute isn't worth it, I'm not sure.  The mentor spirit probably could have been a better one, but the personality kind of fits the sucker outlook i was going for with him.

The plan until he picked up more spells was to self buff with improve attribute to be borderline functional, thought was i(ntuition/body/agility 14 dice dodge, 7 soak, 7 shoot) to heal, and to summon.

Attributes A, Skills B, Race C, magic D, boo crap spells, resources E.

METATYPE: HUMAN 
B 3, A 2, R 5, S 1, W 5, L 7, I 5, C 5, EDG 5, M 6, ESS 6
Initiative/Actions: 10+1D6/1 Major, 2 Minor
Condition Monitor (P/S): 10/11
Defense Rating: 8
Active Skills: Astral 5, Conjuring 5, Enchanting 5, Firearms 1, Perception 1, Piloting 2, Sorcery 6
Knowledge Skills: [Seattle] Streets, Arcana, Astral Hangouts, Combat Biker, Metaplanes, Spirit Types
Languages: English (Native), Japanese
Qualities: AR Vertigo, Exceptional (Logic), Focused Concentration (3), Honorbound (Pirate Code), Impaired (1) (Strength), Mentor Spirit: Fire-Bringer
Spells: Heal, Increase Attribute
Contacts: Bartender (C2/L4), Fixer (C4/L2), Mechanic (C3/L3), Street Doc (C3/L2), Talismonger (C4/L3)
Gear:
   Armor Jacket w/ Electrochromic Modification
   Helmet w/ Vision Enhancement
   Henry Rhankin w/ Fake License (Improved Attribute spell) (4), Fake License (Mage) (4), Fake SIN (3), (1 month) Low Lifestyle
   Meta Link
   Meta Link
   Spell Formula (Blast)
   Spell Formula (Detect Enemies)
   Spell Formula (Increase Reflexes)
   Spell Formula (Physical Barrier)
Starting Nuyen: 50₯
Weapons:
   Remington Roomsweeper [Shotgun, DV 4P(fl), SA, 10/9/5/–/–, 8 (m)]10 rounds Flechette Rounds or 10 rounds Regular Ammo

Karma expenditures

10 Attributes
59 positive Qualities/28 negative.
5 Skills
5 Gear

17,950₯ / 8,000₯

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-14-20/2341:57> »
Just from a mechanical point of view, ignore if concept or fun are the reason for the picks.

AR Vertigo is brutal.  Can't spend Edge while using your Comlink and Nauseated for an hour after.  Hard pass. 

Personally I prefer fewer but better contacts.  YMMV.

You really don't need Focused Concentration 3 if you've got Preparations and Spirits for your buff spells.  Certainly nice to have, but it's a luxury pick. 

And for a Herimetic Mage, Analytical Mind is right there.  3 Karma.  Take it.  Doooo iiiieeeetttt.   

Darksithmstr

• Newb
  • Fraggin' A
« Reply #2 on: <08-15-20/0017:08> »
can't wait for some 6E missions!!!
See u in the Matrix!

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-15-20/0045:54> »
Just from a mechanical point of view, ignore if concept or fun are the reason for the picks.

AR Vertigo is brutal.  Can't spend Edge while using your Comlink and Nauseated for an hour after.  Hard pass. 

Personally I prefer fewer but better contacts.  YMMV.

You really don't need Focused Concentration 3 if you've got Preparations and Spirits for your buff spells.  Certainly nice to have, but it's a luxury pick. 

And for a Herimetic Mage, Analytical Mind is right there.  3 Karma.  Take it.  Doooo iiiieeeetttt.

The AR vertigo was trying to recreate the problems mages have with tech from earlier editions, where they had +2 to the TN of all actions with the matrix. I liked the thematic elements of it.  I was thinking of switching it to the VR version but that's a lot less points. If I could come up with a non AR way to interact with the comlink I'd be good with this.

As for analytical mind, its only 6 post character creation, the other positive qualities would be more.

The contacts is a good point.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <08-15-20/0200:54> »
AR Vertigo is brutal.  Can't spend Edge while using your Comlink and Nauseated for an hour after.
Incorrect.

Quote from: SRM FAQ v1.0
What constitutes ‘using AR’ for AR Vertigo?
Anytime your character is running image link or using a DNI to see AR, they are subject to AR Vertigo. Generally, if you cannot see AR, you cannot be subject to AR Vertigo. This means it is possible to operate a commlink, drive a vehicle, or perform other Matrix associated tasks without the effects of AR Vertigo.

can't wait for some 6E missions!!!
I'm glad GenCon Online had the first batch of them, and that SRMO is starting to pick them up.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #5 on: <08-15-20/0632:01> »
I'm sure there are bad choices, like 1 why put points into alchemy. Well that one is more background oriented, as I was going for well rounded college trained mage. And partly I have the futile hope they will fix it, and if they do it would be nice to already be 5 points in.  1 strength is rough though, but I couldn't find the points. I'd of liked to squeeze a specialty or 2 in but ran out of points. Maybe exceptional attribute isn't worth it, I'm not sure.  The mentor spirit probably could have been a better one, but the personality kind of fits the sucker outlook i was going for with him.

The plan until he picked up more spells was to self buff with improve attribute to be borderline functional, thought was i(ntuition/body/agility 14 dice dodge, 7 soak, 7 shoot) to heal, and to summon.

While there are mechanical traps in every game I have ever played, I don't think there is such a thing as bad choices, because there is no right or wrong way to build characters or play them - just personal tastes.

For mages, you only have two limiting factors to divinity: drain pool, and magic attribute. So in that sense, I believe Exceptional Attribute is a great choice, because it assists factor one. Also, you have spirits bro, you don't need to worry about contributing anything else to combat right now. They are so fucking strong in this edition due to hardened armor with reduced DV.

Also, partial repost of what I wrote to Hobbes in his build thread regarding crap spells:

Adepts get away with D priority at full magic power out of chargen, while Mages and Mystic Adepts come out way behind the curve even if you sink a B into it. Mages should be able to buy spells for Karma with chargen points (even if a limited number, like A up to +4, B up to +3, ect.). Mystic Adepts should be able to do similar, like either use Attributes to raise Magic for PP, or spend Karma for spells, up to the split allowance.
« Last Edit: <08-15-20/0635:31> by Lormyr »
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <08-15-20/0954:01> »

Quote from: SRM FAQ v1.0
What constitutes ‘using AR’ for AR Vertigo?
Anytime your character is running image link or using a DNI to see AR, they are subject to AR Vertigo. Generally, if you cannot see AR, you cannot be subject to AR Vertigo. This means it is possible to operate a commlink, drive a vehicle, or perform other Matrix associated tasks without the effects of AR Vertigo.

A Commlink without Trodes or an Image Link isn't really useful.  Stick with a transceiver if all you're going to do is Audio.  And any kind of legit service that a PC interacts with is going to have an AR menu.  Johnny Cab, Drink at a bar, the new 22 layer Burrito de la Muerta from Taco Temple, the EULA you agree to every time without thinking about it, the AR waiver you approve when you enter a secure building... AR is how the Sixth World works. 

To say nothing of the normal table talk and tactical heads up most Shadowruners take for granted.  Without the AR interface you're limited to a saying/hearing a few words in a combat round, and you're limited to what your own Mark I eyeballs can see. 

Yes a PC can work around it, but every legal transaction you're pulling up your Commlink screen and waiving it around trying to find the giant AR button that's floating right there.  The AR version is dramatically under costed, it's less of a problem to be born without legs in the Sixth world. 

Again, if its for character reasons, absolutly rock on. 
« Last Edit: <08-15-20/1239:04> by Hobbes »

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <08-15-20/1144:33> »

While there are mechanical traps in every game I have ever played, I don't think there is such a thing as bad choices, because there is no right or wrong way to build characters or play them - just personal tastes.

For mages, you only have two limiting factors to divinity: drain pool, and magic attribute. So in that sense, I believe Exceptional Attribute is a great choice, because it assists factor one. Also, you have spirits bro, you don't need to worry about contributing anything else to combat right now. They are so fucking strong in this edition due to hardened armor with reduced DV.

Also, partial repost of what I wrote to Hobbes in his build thread regarding crap spells:

Adepts get away with D priority at full magic power out of chargen, while Mages and Mystic Adepts come out way behind the curve even if you sink a B into it. Mages should be able to buy spells for Karma with chargen points (even if a limited number, like A up to +4, B up to +3, ect.). Mystic Adepts should be able to do similar, like either use Attributes to raise Magic for PP, or spend Karma for spells, up to the split allowance.

Yeah the priority table on magic is based on trying to punish people for going low in priority as opposed to rewarding a high priority.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <08-15-20/1215:00> »
okay after listening to some advice here, the sightly modded version. Switched Ar to simsense vertigo, old school mages only had problems in the matrix so I think it works.  Dropped the mechanic contact, he doesn't have a bike yet anyways and buffed the others a bit. I had forgot your cap in connection was your charisma so low charisma characters really have shit contacts. Dropped piloting from 2 to 1 to free up some points.  Currently i dropped the 1 in perception to add a specialization in astral combat, probably will go back but it kind of fit my character concept. 5 dice visual with helmet on isn't that much worse than 7 dice, but perception is huge. Had 1 left over karma so added some gear.  Mechanically given how bad enchanting is I probably should drop it and just use spell casting, I don;t even have any preparations.  Use those 5 points on first aid or something.  But I always liked the concept of alchemy even if I will never use it this edition.(seriously, drop the making to minutes as on site alchemy should be a thing, make their use a major action because when you eventually create a way for people to store them minor actions will break them, don't make their creation a test its too much dice rolling, when used have a static penalty dice based on the trigger its quick easy and more balanced than the current method)

B 3, A 2, R 5, S 1, W 5, L 7, I 5, C 5, EDG 5, M 6, ESS 6
Initiative/Actions: 10+1D6/1 Major, 2 Minor
Condition Monitor (P/S): 10/11
Defense Rating: 8
Active Skills: Astral 5 (Astral Combat +2), Conjuring 5, Enchanting 5, Firearms 1, Piloting 1, Sorcery 6
Knowledge Skills: [Seattle] Streets, Arcana, Astral Hangouts, Combat Biker, Metaplanes, Spirit Types
Languages: English (Native), Japanese
Qualities: Exceptional (Logic), Focused Concentration (3), Honorbound (Pirate Code), Impaired (1) (Strength), Mentor Spirit: Fire-Bringer, Simsense Vertigo
Spells: Heal, Increase Attribute
Contacts: Bartender (C2/L4), Fixer (C5/L4), Street Doc (C4/L2), Talismonger (C5/L4)
Gear:
   Armor Jacket w/ Electrochromic Modification
   Helmet w/ Flare Compensation, Gas Mask, Vision Enhancement, image link
   Henry Rhankin w/ Fake License (Improved Attribute spell) (4), Fake License (Mage) (4), Fake SIN (3), (1 month) Low Lifestyle
   Meta Link
   Meta Link
   AR Gloves
   Medkit rating 3
   Spell Formula (Blast)
   Spell Formula (Detect Enemies)
   Spell Formula (Increase Reflexes)
   Spell Formula (Physical Barrier)
Starting Nuyen: 1,065₯
Weapons:
   Remington Roomsweeper [Shotgun, DV 4P(fl), SA, 10/9/5/–/–, 8 (m)]10 rounds Flechette Rounds or 10 rounds Regular Ammo
   Ruger Super Warhawk [Heavy Pistol, DV 4P, SA, 10/13/10/–/–, 6 (cy)] w/ Laser Sight, 10 rounds Regular Ammo

While the character background and concept isn't fully fleshed out, the idea is he was a student at a magical university, which one I'm trying to figure what makes sense based on the missions setting. While he learned all the fundamentals of magic he never buckled down and really memorized the spells they would practice with, learning only 2 spells over the course of this education. His two joys in life were astrally projecting and watching combat biking. He learned to ride and joined a wiz kid go gang, relying on his natural reaction enhanced by magic to get by. The gang fell apart in an explosive fashion with most of the members dead or arrested, he luckily escaped though he lost his bike and then made his way to the gangs fixer who was able to destroy his SIN and set him up with a new fake one, he then tried to fade into the shadows.