NEWS

SnS Rocket?

• 15 Replies

Aria

• Ace Runner
« on: <02-21-18/1322:51> »
I’ve vague recollections of something similar in past editions but is there an anti-vehicle electrical discharge type war head somewhere in SR5? If not how would you stat it?

Thanks
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #1 on: <02-21-18/1506:56> »
That doesn't exist in SR5 as far as I know.  Perhaps an earlier edition?  There are anti-vehicle rockets, but they aren't electrical discharge, they're just powerful explosives.

Strictly speaking, I don't think that kind of thing exists.  As far as I know, in Shadowrun only magic can create ball lightning, which is why there's no electric-damage explosives.  Of course, I could be missing something and be totally wrong, in which case someone will chime in.

A long-range, vehicle-disabling electric weapon sounds like it'd probably just be a powerful sniper rifle with stick-n-shock rounds, which will brick a vehicle in two hits regardless of how much armor it has, unless the vehicle is protected against electric damage.  As for an AoE version, it probably isn't possible outside of a really-high Force Ball Lightning spell.

Or some awful Spirit of Air just causing thunder storms and melting tanks, but that's a bit different.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #2 on: <02-21-18/1531:35> »
All the way back in First ed (as best I recall), there was the ElectroShock weaponry, specifically designed for anti-rigger work. The fluff even used the cooking egg analogy: "This is your rigger. This is your rigger on ElectroShock. Any questions?"
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #3 on: <02-22-18/1806:09> »
Electricity damage converts to physical when applied to electronic equipment or drones. Any time a drone takes electricity damage, it also takes secondary Matrix damage equal to half the physical damage rounded down. (see "Electricity Damage," SR5, p.171). If a rigger is jumped into the drone, the Matrix damage affects his persona and primary device (commlink or RCC).

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #4 on: <02-22-18/2004:14> »
I’m pretty sure both SR2 and SR3 has such ordinance in the Rigger books.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-23-18/1228:43> »
I'd second the suggestion of replicating the niche with a Sniper rifle.

A competent sniper should be able to hide well enough so that the driver isn't getting a dodge test, and maxing out the limit will put a Sniper rifle SnS DV up into AVM territory.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

SunRunner

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <02-23-18/1340:03> »
Pretty sure nothing exists that fits that bill in published materials but its not like some one could not make a Stick N Shock rocket/missile or hell even a vehicle mounted taser if the GM wants it to be there.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <02-23-18/1749:41> »
What you likely remember is the E-121 Electrical Mine from the 4th Edition War book.
There is a rocket that can deploy mines, so you can have a rocket that explodes, delivers a bunch of mines and those shoot out wired darts that cause electrical damage.

For SR 5 conformity you could use gas grenades as payload for the rocket, add Intruder Nanotech as payload to the grenade. As soon as the rocket explodes, the air is filled with nanites who start to data spike all available devices.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #8 on: <02-24-18/1858:20> »
For SR 5 conformity you could use gas grenades as payload for the rocket, add Intruder Nanotech as payload to the grenade. As soon as the rocket explodes, the air is filled with nanites who start to data spike all available devices.

As a GM the idea of combining grenades, toxins, nanotech, and wonky matrix rules (every nanobot is its own persona) like that terrifies me.  It's like you took every kind of awkward rule set and combined them into one nightmare to handle weapon.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <02-24-18/1921:39> »
What can I say, it's a gift  :o ;)
talk think matrix

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #10 on: <02-24-18/2017:48> »
At least it didn't have SAB in it.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #11 on: <02-25-18/0040:46> »

As a GM the idea of combining grenades, toxins, nanotech, and wonky matrix rules (every nanobot is its own persona) like that terrifies me.  It's like you took every kind of awkward rule set and combined them into one nightmare to handle weapon.
Nah. Needs to include some way to make the devices suitable vessels for insect spirits, first.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <02-25-18/0253:26> »
Hm, I could mix in some FAB I, so a inhabiting Insect Spirit could share a ride... ;D
talk think matrix

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #13 on: <02-25-18/1616:21> »
Hm, I could mix in some FAB I, so a inhabiting Insect Spirit could share a ride... ;D
I'm a good influence!
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <02-25-18/1631:08> »
I went with the 'make it up myself' option in the end...as it's a corp weapon rather than readily available on the streets I've only needed to worry about a few stats so far :)
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36