NEWS

Land of Promise - Rampant Speculation Please!

• 79 Replies

AceFace

« on: <08-18-12/2237:35> »
So, assuming that Land of Promise (mentioned in the Jackpoint entry at the start of Clutch of Dragons) follows a fairly similar format to other location sourcebooks, it should have big write-ups for two locations and small write-ups for a number of others. I'm assuming that the two Tirs would get big write ups (though if you have other ideas, I'd love to hear them), but what other places do you think might get the lesser coverage?

I'd assume it would be other "awakened" nations/cities and would personally love to see some more info about the Black Forest Troll Kingdom (I constantly see this place mentioned, and would love to know more) and Asamando (the fiction in 6WA really piqued my interest). What do you guys think? Do you think anything will get coverage beyond the Tirs at all? The pointless, but fun, speculation starts now!

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #1 on: <08-18-12/2252:35> »
Nope. I pretty sure this will just be Tir Tiarngere (or how ever you spell it). "Land of Promise" is Tir Tiarngere translated to English....
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

AceFace

« Reply #2 on: <08-19-12/0048:47> »
A boy can dream, can't he?  ;)

If the whole book does turn out to be about just Tir Tairngire, I hope they go the route of Seattle 2072 and have the whole thing as newb friendly as possible. I've been playing SR on and off for years, but have only recently started reading up on history and metaplot - that kind of stuff just didn't really come up in our games - so I like it when the source books cover the basics and original stuff as well as the more recent history..

If this book is just covering Tir Tairngire, I think there's room for a location book (in the style of Feral Cities and the like) that does cover awakened/meta cities in more detail at some point - what do people think? What cities/locations would you like to see covered? What titles would you suggest for such a book?

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <08-19-12/0821:48> »
I hope it will include updated & further details on relations between TT and other elven . . . powers. Like Tir na nOg, the Manitou, Pomorya, the elves of Gwynedd, the Zulu elves (Heavenherds?) . . . the Sinsearach as well, I suppose.  Any others?

Starglyte

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <08-19-12/1025:23> »
Here is my speculation. Assuming its a location book, if it sells well enough, we can get other location books, like for example one detailing the CAS!  :D

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-19-12/1029:40> »
Yet another title to look forward to ;)  Quite like Starglyte's idea re success leading to more location books... ;D

AceFace

« Reply #6 on: <08-19-12/1100:35> »
I'd really like to see a book dedicated to the NAN. Given that the Salish Shidhe are all around Seattle, I know remarkably little about them.

CAS could be fun too, especially if they concentrated on some of the little cultural differences from UCAS - what are the popular TV shows in CAS etc. Would have to be careful not to fall too far into stereotyping the South though, I guess.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #7 on: <08-19-12/2149:13> »
What I want to know is, now that Horizon's dirty tricks have been made public, Hestaby's leaving the Council, Zincan's looking like a sock puppet, and the people have had a good ten years to forget how things were, whether there are any counter-revolutionary forces looking to reestablish the old regime.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <08-20-12/0056:15> »
I await the Land of Promise with baited breath. I fell in love with the old Tir Tangaire sourcebook and, assuming that this is the focus (Does it target the other Elf lands? I dunno, but I also don't care about the other two, so, hah!), I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

English and History double major, but political science and sociology are two of my minors and became true loves for me... the idea of how the Tir *works* makes my heart go pitter-patter. Oh, don't get me wrong, it'd be a HORRIBLE place to live, but damnation, I want to dig into the culture there and eat it up with a spoon.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #9 on: <08-20-12/0619:17> »
I know what you mean, Wak. Iceblade was originally just an elf combat mage from Seattle. Then I got hold of the Tir Tairngir book and loved it so much that I rewrote the entire character from the ground up, and I just don't do things like that, normally.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <08-20-12/1112:13> »
There's a picture in the original TT book that gets me every time. A female police officer whose back is to the camera, hands lighting up with magic as she faces off with a bad guy.

I've made, like, five characters off of that one piece of art alone.

AceFace

« Reply #11 on: <08-20-12/1136:44> »
So, to clarify, the original source book is worth buying then?  ;)

I'm finding way too many things to spend my hard earned cred on at the moment...

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <08-20-12/1425:00> »
Yes, the original source book, while dated in the twenty years-ish that've passed since the in-game year it featured, is awesomely fun.

There's a few of the OLD sourcebooks that are worth grabbing, no matter what edition you're in. That's one, Lone Star's another, and Aztlan's probably the third. Each one's *rich* in data.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #13 on: <08-20-12/1458:59> »
I'm going to answer what I can without dancing around an NDA, here, so bear with me.  If I'm being too vague, I apologize.  I'm trying to clarify as much as I can (to keep expectations in-line with what the product offers), but we also just received a stern lecture about NDAs, and I really don't want to get fired. 

1)  Yes, "Tir Tairngire" translates to "Land of Promise." 

2)  It is in some ways a sequel to the old Tir Tairngire book and the Tir's chapter in Sixth World Almanac, but in other ways it is meant to fill in the gaps between those two books.  We've got several years of Tir history that were never touched on in any published material, and this is an attempt to fill in those plot holes, explain what's been going on, and basically update the setting and get it playable again.  Having either/both of those would be helpful to really tackling the place.

3)  Linked with the idea of playing there, this product and the Elven Blood adventures go together pretty well, and feed off each other a lot.  While the print run of Elven Blood was a GenCon exclusive, it should be available on pdf eventually.  So if you like Land of Promise and want adventures to go with it, Elven Blood gives you several of them.

4)  I don't want to deflate anyone's hopes or shatter dreams, but please keep in mind Land of Promise is just a small, largely unsolicited (IE, it was the writer's idea to make the pitch, it wasn't the developer's idea to go looking for a book to be written), e-book only release.  So there's limits on what can be crammed into this sort of book, the budget wasn't the budget available to a larger product, etc, etc.  It's a pretty compact piece of work that serves primarily to update and supplement existing material, and just drag the Tir kicking and screaming into the 2070s and make it someplace fun to play in.

AceFace

« Reply #14 on: <08-20-12/1535:16> »
Thanks for the clarification Critias. My expectations are managed  :)

I'm a little surprised that this is "only" getting an ebook to be honest (not wanting to bad mouth the ebooks, but you know what I mean) - I'd have thought that there'd be plenty of call for a full-size treatment of the two Tirs, especially Tir Tairngire, as the Elven nations are one of the things that make the Sixth World unique and interesting. Maybe if we all buy copies of Land of Promise...  ;)