NEWS

Sensor Software and ... um... Sensor Software

• 9 Replies

joe15552

• Omae
« on: <02-02-11/2248:03> »
First, I'd like to thank Bradd for starting that very interesting discussion on emotitoys.

I really sorta missed this little tidbit in Arsenal about Empathy Software, and if it wasn't for that thread, I would have never seen it.

On page 60 of arsenal, it says, "Empathy Software can be discreetly used in real time during negotiations or social interactions, adding its rating as a dice pool bonus to the character's Social skill tests."

Okay, so this is new eyes shining on an old topic here, but why do we need toys to do this? This description makes it pretty clear that the intention of the authors was to create a way for the software to add its rating to a character's social skills... The only problem is that it does not clearly state what you load the software into...

I've seen someone use it in their cybereye. I am not sure every GM would allow their players to do that, but I think it sounds plausible, since every cybereye comes with a "Eye Recording Unit" already installed. That sounds a lot like a camera to me, but I could be wrong. I guess you'd have to use a house rule to figure out what the maximum rating of the software that can be loaded on the cybereye recording unit... Or maybe not. Maybe you can just load the software into your comlink, since your cybereye is part of your PAN, and just get the bonuses up to whatever rating your comlink can handle running, which is usually 5 at char gen.

Like I said, I'm a lot newer than most of you when it comes to this stuff, so my thoughts are probably a little broken. Anyone feel like fixing them?

Ultra Violet

• Omae
  • Child of the Matrix
« Reply #1 on: <02-03-11/0001:09> »
The problem with the word camera is that it isn't clear if that mean only visual or (visual & audio), like a camera has. In my opinion Cyber-Eyes have only visual cameras (without audio recording). But I think an Empathy Soft uses both audio & visual recordings or data to analyze. That means IMHO Cyber-Eyes aren't enough you have to get audio data too.
There are many cameras around, for instants every Commlink has a camera as a standard feature integrated (see SR4A, p. 327-328). Or you use a camera in a sensor equipment or in a toy or drone or RFID-Chip or you become yourself the camera (via Simrig) a.s.o.
IMHO you only need the data, so a rigger or hacker could use any security camera footage and run their Empathy Soft over it, or a live feed and do it in real time. And the result or output can linked to any PAN or person you like, i.e. the display of cybereye or contact lenses or glasses, or as ARO or AR massage...
In the End the user knows what the Empathy Soft has analyzed and can use it on his behalf.

The Emotitoy is only one popular use of that piece of software. A Pro will use the Empathy Soft in a more discreetly way.
To many characters raise a laugh because they come to a meeting with a Emotitoy... And the answer of a grinning Mr. Johnson or GM would be: "Nice try! Please raise your Notoriety by 1."
« Last Edit: <02-03-11/0005:34> by Ultra Violet »

joe15552

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <02-03-11/0708:29> »
So my system would work if I had cyberears too?

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <02-03-11/1415:29> »
To many characters raise a laugh because they come to a meeting with a Emotitoy... And the answer of a grinning Mr. Johnson or GM would be: "Nice try! Please raise your Notoriety by 1."

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I'd really like to stamp out this misconception. The description of emotitoys says just the opposite. Mr Johnson is more likely to use an emotitoy himself than to mock an asset for using one. Everybody's doing it.

Tagz

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <02-03-11/1759:52> »

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I'd really like to stamp out this misconception. The description of emotitoys says just the opposite. Mr Johnson is more likely to use an emotitoy himself than to mock an asset for using one. Everybody's doing it.
I think it fits only if it fits.

What I mean is that a meaty Troll called "Curb Stomp" dressed in dirty streets and thick armor shouldn't have a pink tiger toy dangling off his club with rusty nails, at least image-wise.  HE should get mocked for it, but perhaps not to his face.

It totally fits a ditzy hacker chick.  Or a ton of other concepts.  A Johnson?  Maybe, depends on where he's/she's from and who they are.  Corprate J's would likely consider them unprofessional but depending on the corprate culture maybe not all.

All and all it boils down to the question of if you're giving the character a piece of gear because that character WOULD have it, or giving it to them because it gives them more dice.  Just because something's useful or "the smart thing to do" doesn't mean we all do it, I mean, I don't have my blood-type tattooed on me do you?   It's a smart thing to do if you think about it...

Anyhow, now I need to go and make a new NPC named Curb Stomp.

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <02-03-11/1822:36> »
Note that Horizon, Aztechnology, etc. make emotitoys with a wide range of appearances and personalities, so that they can sell the things to DitzyPixie and Curb Stomp. ;)

Tagz

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <02-03-11/1833:13> »
Yeah, I heard the same thing about Beanie Babies a few years ago.  Doesn't mean I want to get one and put it on my tool bag for the other wrench turners to see.  ;)

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <02-03-11/1841:57> »
Empathy Software should be loaded on your commlink, IMO, and use info gathered from slaved/subscribed sensors to do its work, reporting into an image and/or audio link.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Tagz

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <02-03-11/2011:08> »
That's how I've always assumed them to work.

And I've allowed EmpSoft to work with just audio or just visual, but at half the rating for only getting half the cues.

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <02-04-11/1120:49> »
Sensor software in commlink connected to Eyes and Ears via either cyber or use a simrig to convert things into digital for review by the software.

Answers and suggestions to the user fed back as AR items maybe.
"Didnt anyone tell you as security school to geek the mage first?"  "I guess I will just have to educate you with a introduction to my boomstick"