NEWS

SR 6 info

• 745 Replies

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #420 on: <06-14-19/2023:05> »
6e fiction is going to be lit. Armor doing nothing, 1 strength randos chopping down trolls with combat axes, heavy pistols shots taking 2-3 shots from trained experts to drop someone who can’t move.
Just like my Japanese animes.

Speaking of Japanese animes, how do the vehicle rules look for 6e? If a bunch of riggers can't re-enact the events of Initial D in Ares Roadmasters while the streetsams and physads hold a contest to see who can do the best Akira bike slide, then what's even the point?

I love anime. I want a player to take a sea based totem so I can make a one piece themed astral quests. But anime and shadowrun aren’t always the same. But anime can be fairly pink Mohawk shooting long range in darkness and rain no dice pool penalty but your enemy got 1 point of edge. Woo. These systems need to work on their own with edge enhancing it not replacing it. Like if combat was a threshold system. 1+hits on dodge or hit. Darkness and other conditions adds to threshold. Edge can be used to cancel penalties. Edge supports the system then it does it replace it.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #421 on: <06-15-19/1056:05> »
"Just like my Japanese animes" is a joke, chummer. However, I am serious about wanting to know what vehicle rules look like in 6e.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #422 on: <06-15-19/1101:45> »
Been thinking a lot about armor changes and been listening to all actual plays.
This may have been suggested before and if so just ignore this post.

How make armor # still mean something and not add math or change new mechanics.

If AR is higher then DR then make damage stun.  This represents stopping power and penetration.  Doesn’t change soak roll, Increases survivability and leaves associated mechanics intact.

I am sure you meant if DR is higher than AR, but I digress. I like this. I would trigger it the same as edge and say if the defender earns edge (4 DR over AR) they also convert physical damage to stun, but this is a really simple elegant adjustment that I am sure I will be stealing for any home games I run.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #423 on: <06-15-19/1105:03> »
"Just like my Japanese animes" is a joke, chummer. However, I am serious about wanting to know what vehicle rules look like in 6e.

QSR is being released currently at Origins and the Rigging rules are sampled in them. They seem pretty strat forward so far. One thing I was not sure if I will like or not is that firing a vehicle mounted weapon seems to use Engineering. It doesn't seem logical to me but I will get used to it.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #424 on: <06-15-19/1136:01> »
However, I am serious about wanting to know what vehicle rules look like in 6e.

There aren't abstract speed values anymore. So, kinda like 4e stats.

Also: 6e defines what attributes you use. Unlike 5e where we still don't have definitive answers for what attributes riggers rig with.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Prime Mover

• Omae
  • Prime Runners need Prime Fixers
« Reply #425 on: <06-15-19/1229:07> »

If AR is higher then DR then make damage stun.  This represents stopping power and penetration.  Doesn’t change soak roll, Increases survivability and leaves associated mechanics intact.

I am sure you meant if DR is higher than AR, but I digress. I like this. I would trigger it the same as edge and say if the defender earns edge (4 DR over AR) they also convert physical damage to stun, but this is a really simple elegant adjustment that I am sure I will be stealing for any home games I run.

Fixed that, was mixing my abbreviations with another game.  But yes was exactly what I meant.
Why do things happen the way they happen? For
all I know the world Is Just one big game and all of
our actions are determined by the roll of a die.
-  Dunkelzahn,  Great-Dragon

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #426 on: <06-16-19/0244:55> »

Might have been a joke but it seems to be a fairly solid comparison.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #427 on: <06-16-19/1019:50> »

If DR is higher then AR then make damage stun.  This represents stopping power and penetration.  Doesn’t change soak roll, Increases survivability and leaves associated mechanics intact.
I like!

So, time for me to start compiling a list of possible SR6 houserules:
- DR > AR, damage automatically becomes Stun only
   Makes armor more useful for spreading out damage
- 1/2/+1 soak autohit from torso/body/helmetORshield, +1/2/3/4 DV on small arms/heavy/rifles/assault cannons
   aka FBA vs Rifles is same, but the really big stuff still hurts extra, while small toys are still a big threat if you're not fully suited up

(I'm not including suggestions that decrease Edge gain, because that too heavily nerfs Street Sams without good reason. If you don't want to play the new Edge game, honestly SR5 is a better idea.)
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #428 on: <06-16-19/1203:15> »
I’m curious to see how much edge took over. At least some modifiers are replaced by it reportedly. But like if I’m getting shot at at long range, in darkness, in hurricane force winds 1 or even 2 edge doesn’t seem to capture the feel of the difficulty of that shot.

tenchi2a

• Chummer
« Reply #429 on: <06-16-19/1253:51> »
I’m curious to see how much edge took over. At least some modifiers are replaced by it reportedly. But like if I’m getting shot at at long range, in darkness, in hurricane force winds 1 or even 2 edge doesn’t seem to capture the feel of the difficulty of that shot.

From what I have seen and my knowledge of the RAR.
You would get a total of +2 edge, as that is the most you can gain in a turn.
And since there are no other modifiers in the game (From what I have heard) that would be it.
« Last Edit: <06-16-19/1256:03> by tenchi2a »

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #430 on: <06-16-19/1331:45> »

And since there are no other modifiers in the game (From what I have heard) that would be it.

So impossible shots are routine not just for superhuman shooters but average normal human ones.

What exactly was this trying to fix. You are giving edge so you are on some level tracking situational modifiers. I guess it’s a bit easier than remembering all the die pool modifiers is it -6 at this range or -4 etc. but I’d think there are a ton of ways to fix that without totally removing it.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #431 on: <06-16-19/1434:33> »
So, time for me to start compiling a list of possible SR6 houserules:

Something I could see as a house rule (or perhaps as an official rule in the 6e version of Run & Gun) is a rule governing one shot kills on unsuspecting targets.   Something along the lines of so long as the target is not getting any dodge at all (e.g. surprised, snuck up on, etc) the attacker can attempt a disabling shot against a static threshold that simply kills/subdues the target based on whether the damage was P or S.  Pro: it's great for those "sneak up behind them and twist his head, silently snapping his neck in an instant" kills you see heroes do in movies all the time.  Con: players would absolutely hate seeing the rule being used by NPCs on their PCs.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

adzling

« Reply #432 on: <06-16-19/1710:23> »
You are correct.
They sacrificed any semblance of a connection to reality for simplicity.
Which they then cocked up with the convoluted edge mechanic.
It’s really nuts.
6e is a boardless board game.

So impossible shots are routine not just for superhuman shooters but average normal human ones.

What exactly was this trying to fix. You are giving edge so you are on some level tracking situational modifiers. I guess it’s a bit easier than remembering all the die pool modifiers is it -6 at this range or -4 etc. but I’d think there are a ton of ways to fix that without totally removing it.

Hephaestus

• Omae
  • "Milk Run" is a mighty weird way to spell TPK
« Reply #433 on: <06-17-19/1356:14> »
Bump all ranged damage by 3 do the armor as I suggested. Add 1/2 strength round down to melee weapon damage.

What about 1/2 strength rounded down using one hand, and straight strength if using the weapon 2-handed? It would make that troll with a battleaxe waaay scarier to get into combat with.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #434 on: <06-17-19/1453:07> »
Bump all ranged damage by 3 do the armor as I suggested. Add 1/2 strength round down to melee weapon damage.

What about 1/2 strength rounded down using one hand, and straight strength if using the weapon 2-handed? It would make that troll with a battleaxe waaay scarier to get into combat with.

Assault cannons are 6dv 9dv under my proposed house rule. With 1/2 strength trolls out do that but not ludicrously. Full strength damage gets in the 20dv range which just breaks the game.

Personally the more I think about it my fixes will be 2dv per net hit to damage and armor as I outlined above or it just adds to soak. Have it fiddle with it. For melee just change the attack stat to strength and give unarmed a base damage of 1.

I’ll probably add modifiers back into the game adding edge on top of that instead of foolishly replacing them. But instead of a dice pool change make it a threshold change. You need a hit to hit. Which does base weapon damage. Net hits increase damage. Have 2-3 sections of modifiers each with 2 levels. Each applicable mod adds to the threshold by their level. So like poor lighting might be 1, blind fire 2, rain 1 a big storm 2. Poor light in rain would be a total of 2 so your threshold to hit a unmoving target is 3’ their defense if a moving target adds to that threshold. Gain edge as above. Edge on attacks can cancel penalties 1 per.

That way it’s still pretty simple your dice pool doesn’t change just the number of hits needed. No real chart is needed it’s a simple calculation partial problems 1 massive problems 2 3 categories visibility, range(medium, long), environmentals. So like long range, blind fire, in storm level winds just to hit an unaware target its 7 hits. Usually it’s just range and visibility but crap weather sometimes is in the story.

On phone assume errors.