NEWS

Upgrading Cyberware/Bioware

• 11 Replies

Fatespinner

• Newb
« on: <06-21-19/0644:16> »
Hi all,

is it possible to upgrade the level of an augmentation? E.g. is it possible to upgrade reflex booster from 2 (installed) to 3?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <06-21-19/0726:20> »
Raw: No. But houserules are possible and I think Missions has rules for it.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #2 on: <06-21-19/0808:04> »
The biggest problem is that the 'ware causes essence loss. Once you dig out that hole, it can't be filled without genetic treatments, so upgrading from Alpha to Gamma won't replace the essence loss, but you would be able to pack more in!

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <06-21-19/0814:55> »
At laptop so quoting the Missions houserules:

Can I upgrade my bioware or cyberware?
Presuming the item in question has not been damaged, you may sell back installed non-cultured bioware and
cyberware for a flat 30 percent of its retail value (book price; taking into account alpha or beta mark up, if any) when
changing out cyberware. You must still make an Availability test to acquire the new piece of cyberware. Cultured
bioware may not be upgraded using the below rules.
You may upgrade bioware and cyberware by paying the difference between the two pieces of equipment
(accounting for grades, if any) plus 20% for the doc’s time and medical materials. You may only upgrade a piece of
bioware or cyberware of the same type.
For example, Kayless wants to get a better Control Rig. He currently has a Rating 2, but wants to upgrade to 3.
Martin Tate happens to have one in stock and charges him 133,200¥ for the new Control Rig (Rating 3) and keeps the
Rating 2 he just pulled out of Kayless.
So, let’s do the math: Control Rig 3 costs 208,000¥ - 97,000¥ as credit on the old rig (Rating 2) = 111,000¥ for
the upgrade. Now to figure out the total to include Dr. Tate’s labor and any other expenses related to the surgery
(111,000¥ x 1.2 = 133,200¥).
Another example, Covon goes to Dr. Tate and asks to have his dermal plating removed so he can get titanium
bone lacing instead. Dr. Tate gladly obliges, but Covon only receives 30% of the value of the dermal plating and has
to pay full price for the titanium bone lacing.
Remember, if you upgrade from 3 points of "normal ware" to the equivalent in alpha grade, the alpha only takes
2.4 Essence points off, but you do not get the excess back—you simply have a 0.6 point “hole” that can be filled with
something else at no further Essence cost until the “hole” is exceeded.
Betaware is available as normal during gameplay. However, keep in mind that deltaware can only be purchased
and implanted through special deltaware clinics, and these are only available if a Mission gives the character access
to them as a special reward. Contacts will not be able to grant you access to a Delta Clinic under normal circumstances.
Recovering from cyber-surgery takes one full calendar week.
Unfortunately this does not apply to cybersuites.

tequila

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <06-21-19/1100:17> »
The biggest problem is that the 'ware causes essence loss. Once you dig out that hole, it can't be filled without genetic treatments, so upgrading from Alpha to Gamma won't replace the essence loss, but you would be able to pack more in!

I thought the whole point of upgrading to a better 'ware grade was to be able to cram more 'ware in you.  8)
#thistasergoesto11

Quote from: Tarislar
ArmTech MGL-12: Nothing says love like a 3 round burst of HE Grenade to hit something for 32P
Nuff said.  :-X

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <06-21-19/1134:55> »
Corps upgrade you so they can put in that cortex bomb.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #6 on: <06-21-19/1359:31> »
"HA! Those corp idiots! I only got a cyber-leg, so the cortex bomb would only blow off my leg! ... What's the bandage on the back of my head for?"

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #7 on: <06-21-19/1418:29> »
You can always replace a lower-rated system with a higher-rated one, if you have the essence for it. Officially, you would need to pay the full nuyen price for the new system, but only the difference in Essence. For example, if you want to replace your rating 2 Wired Reflexes (¥149,000 and 3.0 essence) with rating 3 Wired Reflexes (¥217,000 and 5.0 essence), they cost the full ¥217,000 but only 2 additional points of essence (b/c removing the original cyberware left a "hole" of 3 essence, and the new ware costs 5).

The Missions FAQ (v1.3, p.27) lets you upgrade a system from a lower rating to a higher rating and/or grade for the price difference plus 20% medical fees. In this example, upgrading your Wired Reflexes to rating 3 from rating 2 would cost (¥217,000 - ¥149,000) x 1.2 = ¥81,600 instead of ¥217,000. This is how we handle it in my campaign. Talk to your GM.

If you're simply removing the old system and/or replacing it with an unrelated one (e.g., replacing Wired Reflexes with Synaptic Boosters), then the old 'ware doesn't give you a break on the nuyen price of the new 'ware, but you can still sell it for 30% of its book price. In this example, you'd get 0.3 x ¥149,000 = ¥44,700 back for your old rating 2 Wired Reflexes; then you pay full price for the Synaptic Boosters. Essence cost works the same: The new ware fills the "hole" left by the old ware before consuming any additional essence.

RickDeckard

• Chummer
  • It can't rain all the time.
« Reply #8 on: <07-02-19/0836:13> »
I imagine cyberware as being upgradeable via software updates as well as just mechanical enhancement. Like you don’t need to pull out your rating 2 wired reflexes to get rating 3, the doc just makes some (expensive) modifications to your existing system and you just pay the difference in cost. Plus maybe a doc fee, but I also see medicinal expenses as being part of the cost cause what would you do with a set of wired reflexes in a box?

SpellBinder

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <07-05-19/0959:53> »
... cause what would you do with a set of wired reflexes in a box?
Sell to some low-life ganger as used?  ;)

Singularity

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <07-05-19/2154:47> »
"HA! Those corp idiots! I only got a cyber-leg, so the cortex bomb would only blow off my leg! ... What's the bandage on the back of my head for?"

Really need to read that fine print, chummer!

(Did I use that Shadowrun slang right?)

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #11 on: <07-06-19/0917:19> »

Really need to read that fine print, chummer!

(Did I use that Shadowrun slang right?)
+1