NEWS

Technomancer as Rigger, complex form?

• 4 Replies

Dunedon

• Newb
« on: <08-30-19/2235:17> »
The opening paragraph of the rigger control rig entry indicates that you can require either a VCR, or the appropriate technomancer complex form? What form are they referring to, or do they mean echo?

Additionally, is a RCC considered a device, and therefore the skinlink echo could give you access to a drone army (granted not one you could individually take control of any part of without some form of VCR)?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <08-31-19/0513:48> »
They mean the Echo.

An RCC sounds like a device, and I like the idea of combining Man in the Machine and Skinlink to fully emulate a Rigger. O_O Your idea sounds brilliant.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

PatrolDeer

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-14-19/0842:50> »
Hey, I am thinking about the same idea.There are two echoes which can emulate the Rigger, as posted by Michael - "Skinlink" and "Machine Mind".
"Skinlink" gives you DNI connection to an object ( I imagine that if a vehicle has Rigger adaptation it can be connected to and thus controlled. )
"Machine mind" gives you the qualities of a level 1 Control Rig, which essentially means that you can jump into a vehicle or a drone and you get +1 bonus dice for all vehicle/drone skill tests and bonus point of Edge.

There are two complex forms which I think are useful for controlling devices. "Puppeteer" and "Emulate"
"Puppeteer" allows you to take control of a device even if you don't have the admin access to it, thanks to "Control Device" matrix action.
"Emulate" lets you run a single program, including autosoft. 
Combining it with "Focused Concentration" quality which allows you to negate -2 dice pool penalty for sustaining multiple complex forms, you can highjack enemy drones, or simply enter yours.
Finally, "Machine Sprite" can override a machine on autopilot and take control of it.

So I think that Technomancer has already built-in tools to emulate a Rigger. And I can imagine way better usage for the stack of ¥NuYen needed for a decent RCC  ;)
Technomancers do not use electronic devices or programs. They are the device...

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <09-14-19/0922:01> »
Technomancers currently have no way to run an Autosoft on Drones like an RCC.  The Echo "Machine Mind" will let a TM Jump in to a single vehicle or Drone.  The Echo "Living Network" lets your Living Persona act as a PAN. 

Direct Access / DNI isn't real well defined in 6th, so I'm not sure that Skinlink gets you anything Machine Mind doesn't. 

Puppeteer and Override turn a TM into an instant car thief.  Machine Mind, Diagnostics, and Living Network let a TM function as a Rigger, sans the Autosoft sharing.  I would imagine that will be an echo in the Rigger book though. 

Dunedon

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <09-22-19/0031:12> »
The rules do state that Emulate can be used for autosoft programs ... what else could that be for other than allowing the sharing of thst autosoft with a drone? I’d say you’d be able to emulate that portion of an RCC on your living person fairly accurately that way ... otherwise it seems a pretty useless distinction. (Of course I could easily be missing something).