NEWS

The Universal Brotherhood

• 49 Replies

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <06-16-11/2254:49> »
Mimicking someone is fine with RAW, still being that someone is right out, IMO.

As for Ms Montgomery, she was pretending and the shaman who made the deal with Dirk had no intention of fulfilling his end of the bargain.

And personally, the fact that they completely consume and replace the victim is part of the creepy factor, like Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #31 on: <06-17-11/0005:41> »
SO here's the question...

I "kill you" by possessing you and taking you over.  But now I have all your memories, your thoughts, your feelings.  If I think I am you...  Who's to say I'm not?

You end up with a really weird little philosophy question there about what defines self, what makes a person a person.  Not an easy question, and no ready answer.

Of course, by the rules?  You're an NPC.  Your metaphysical state of being doesn't really matter at that point.

:)

Bull

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #32 on: <06-17-11/0010:41> »
Part of me doesn't want to open that can of worms.

The other half kicked that half in the nuts and called it foul names for not treating SR players like grown-ups and just discussing it so that we can discuss totems, gods, mentors, and so on like adults.

*shrugs*

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #33 on: <06-17-11/0012:10> »
The other half kicked that half in the nuts and called it foul names for not treating SR players like grown-ups and just discussing it so that we can discuss totems, gods, mentors, and so on like adults.
I don't think we've been reading the same forums if you think SR Fans are acting like grown-ups.  :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #34 on: <06-17-11/0015:52> »
Heh. 

It's not really something that has an answer, and I like it that way.  Shadowrun doesn't need to have everything always spelled out for the players...  A little mystery, a few questions that are left "unknowable" simply enhances the game, and lets players handle things their own way.

Also...  Frag RAW :)  Never let the rules get in the way of good storytelling ;) 

(And god, I loath the term "RAW".)

Like I said, for our old game, we treated the Bugs and the Mantids as similar but slightly different creatures.  The Bugs kill you, eat your soul, and replace you.  the Mantids...  Don't.  Usually.  Often.  Ok maybe sometimes.  But are you sure?

Not knowing for certain?  Never knowing for certain?  Now that's fraggin' creepy.

Bull

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #35 on: <06-17-11/0017:16> »
Not knowing for certain?  Never knowing for certain?  Now that's fraggin' creepy.

Bull
You want fraggin' creepy?

Have *THEM* not even know what the right answer is.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #36 on: <06-17-11/0018:43> »
I don't think we've been reading the same forums if you think SR Fans are acting like grown-ups.  :P

Heh, behave Can. :)  I always act like a grown up.  Especially when I'm running around rolling dice, waving Nerf guns around, wearing rubber ears and tusks, and pretending to be an Ork.

(Having calm, rational, mature discussions is a great thing, and something we should do more often on the internet.  Forgetting that at the end of the day, we're playing "Make Believe" is something that we shouldn't. :))

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #37 on: <06-17-11/0020:28> »

Wait, wait...

*THEM* Them?  Or *THEM They?  Or Them Us?  or Them You? 

Which Them are we talking about?

Oh crap.  Now I'm confused, creeped out, and paranoid.  thanks CR!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #38 on: <06-17-11/0028:58> »
Heh, behave Can. :)  I always act like a grown up.  Especially when I'm running around rolling dice, waving Nerf guns around, wearing rubber ears and tusks, and pretending to be an Ork.

(Having calm, rational, mature discussions is a great thing, and something we should do more often on the internet.  Forgetting that at the end of the day, we're playing "Make Believe" is something that we shouldn't. :) )
Was more inferring to the immature nature of the Internet due to the Eternal September rather than any individual person.

Wait, wait...

*THEM* Them?  Or *THEM They?  Or Them Us?  or Them You? 

Which Them are we talking about?

Oh crap.  Now I'm confused, creeped out, and paranoid.  thanks CR!
Glad to be of assistance.  Now you're in the proper mood for writing out adventures from the point of view of a Mr. Johnson or Shadowrunners.   ;D

"So, is Jessie still in there, or did you eat her soul?"

"Well, most Insect Spirits eat the soul and inhabit the body, we try to merge with the soul and...  You know what, screw it.  Truth time:  We aren't sure ourselves."

"Wait, what?"

"That's right, we don't have all the answers either.  It might be her in here with me, or just residual and muscle memories that are influencing my responses, such as being this frank as Jersey Jessie would normally be, and I normally wouldn't."

"Sooooooooooooooooooooo..."

"Fragged if we know."

"...  ...  ...  I'm going to shoot you in the face now.  Many times.  I'm not sure when I'm going to stop, in fact.  Probably when I run out of ammunition."

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #39 on: <06-17-11/0038:20> »
Now transpose that into a game where we often had only 2 players and a GM, and our characters got heavily involved with and invested in personal lives.  To the point of having wives, children, families, NPCs that we'd have sacrificed our own characters for (and at one point, Johnny did.  Fuck you Harlequin.  Fuck you very much.)

Now, have one of Johnny's wives decide to willing merge with a Mantid.  Now try and decide if Becky is really in there or not. 

Yeah.  It was interesting.  Came in handy while we were trapped in Bug City though.  Nice to have a gang of angry Mantids you could occasionally call on for help. Just don;t sleep with them.  :)

Bull

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #40 on: <06-17-11/0620:31> »
Also...  Frag RAW :)  Never let the rules get in the way of good storytelling ;) 
Indeed.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #41 on: <06-17-11/1144:28> »
Indeed.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #42 on: <06-17-11/1536:47> »
*wargls*
i overlooked a complete page of postings <.<
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

Mangusso

• Newb
« Reply #43 on: <02-06-18/1756:49> »
Is the catalyst pdf better than the rpgnow one? I could hardly read the rpgnow version. Can you see the "hand written" notes.

GhostGirl

• Newb
  • Do you believe in ghosts?
« Reply #44 on: <02-07-18/1135:29> »
I usually get my PDF's through Drive-Thru Games and never have problems with the quality. Try this:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/2766/Shadowrun-The-Universal-Brotherhood?it=1
"The finest trick of the devil is to persuade you that he does not exist."--Baudelaire