markelphoenix

• Omae
« on: <06-23-13/1528:26> »
Tulvar (Troll Adept)
B 9, A 4, R 4/7, S 9, C 1, I 4, L 2, W 3, E 1, Ess 6, M 6, Init 8/11, IP 1/4
Condition Monitor boxes (Physical/Stun): 13/10
CMT Clip Commlink Condition Monitor: 9
Armor (Ballistic/Impact): 26/21
Skills: Athletics Group 3, Outdoors Group 3, Unarmed Combat 6 (Martial Arts +2)
Knowledge Skills: Elven Politics 4, English N, Fight Clubs 5, Japanese 3, Sperethiel 3, UCAS Black Projects 3
Metatype Abilities: Armor (+1/+1), Enhanced Senses: Thermographic Vision
Qualities: Adept, Boxing (2), Gremlins (1), Prejudiced (4): Ork (7dicepool), Spirit Bane: Spirits of Earth, The Warrior's Way: Improved Reflexes, Critical Strike, Mystic Armor
Adept Powers: Critical Strike (6), Improved Reflexes (3), Killing Hands, Mystic Armor (3), Penetrating Strike (1)
Gear:
   Backpack
   Certified Credstick with Custom Data
   Climbing Gear
   CMT Clip Commlink with Vector Xim Operating System
   Contact Lenses (1) with Vision Enhancement (3)
   Form-Fitting Full-Body Suit with Gel Packs, Nonconductivity (2)
   Greatcoat with Chemical Protection, Insulation
   Sleeping  Bag
   Survival Kit
   Tent
   Tulvar with Fake SIN (4), Street Lifestyle
Weapons:
   Attack of Will (vs. Spirits) [DV 7P vs. I]
   Unarmed Strike [Unarmed, DV 13P vs. I-1, Reach 1]

Any thoughts? Critiques? Was going up for straight up pounder, fight clubs and such. Hooked up with a Runner group via getting noticed by a face during one of his fights. Runner group ends up wiped out and himself seriously wounded, left for dead in the wild. Through good fortune and his ample durability, was able to survive the event and learned wilderness survival the hard way as he tried to make it back to civilization. This is just the very ROUGH concept, still much to be filled out.

emsquared

• Ace Runner
  • Super Perfundo
« Reply #1 on: <06-24-13/1121:26> »
A few things:

Buying a 6 in MAG is a terrible waste of resources (your paying more than it is "worth"), unless this is expected to be a short campaign, I'd recommend dropping your MAG to 5, and on top of that taking some 'ware (I'll get to that in a bit) - both of which will require you to re-arrange your Powers.

Also, your primary attack pool (Unarmed Combat) is deficient, IMO. 12 to 15 dice - which is what you'll probably have for the bulk of this character's life due to the high PP cost of Improved Attribute, and that you presently have no option for a Weapon Focus - is what I'd expect to see in a back-up combatant, i.e. a Rigger or a Face at chargen. Again to fix this, I'd recommend re-arranging your Powers some and taking some 'ware.

The 'ware I'd recommend to you is Muscle Augmentation 2, and Muscle Toner 2 , eventually you could buy beta-grade Muscle Augmentation 4. The reason being that Muscle Augmentation is your only hope of ever coming near your STR Augmented Maximum (with Improved Attribute the same boost would cost you 6!!! PP/MAG). Same with Muscle Toner, even though your racial max is so low, it will take you just 0.4 ESS/MAG while the same thing in Powers would cost you 3 Power Points/MAG...

To adjust your Powers to all this I would recommend first dropping Improved Reflexes to 2 and dropping Mystic Armor completely. IR 3 is overkill, you simply don't need 4 IPs to start. And Mystic Armor is just a horrible deal - i.e. spending that amount of resources on armor is a waste of PP. That alone accounts for MAG lost to 'ware and not hard-maxing your MAG, and gives you a little left over actually. So if you wanted to move some out of Crit Strike and into Improved Ability (Unarmed) you could do it.

With this 'ware approach, I would also recommend dropping your starting STR to 7, and boosting your REA to 5 - which will help your lack-luster intiative and passive dodge, and I dunno, maybe your WIL since your AGI and INT are already soft-maxed or just use the BP else where like...

RE: Your Skills, you have a pretty deficient Skill-set. You have no way to attack at Range, this is a bad idea. Melee combat is actually pretty niche IME, and charging into gunfire just so you can do your thing is a bad idea, even for a hulking troll. You also have no Perception Skill (the most universal and commonly used Skill in the game), and nothing at all to do when not in combat - no Contacts, nothing. You could also look at taking Exotic Weapon (Hardliner Gloves) so you'll have a Weapon Focus (i.e. +4 to your combat pool) - OR even better, ask your GM to house-rule the weapon to fall under Unarmed Combat (which is what I do as GM), especially with you being a boxer; the premise that fighting with gloves on requires a different skill-set than just fighting with your hands is ludicrous and only serves to f-over Unarmed Adepts.

Also, ask your GM if he allows the Optional rule for Adept Geasa.
« Last Edit: <06-25-13/1030:31> by emsquared »

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <06-24-13/1258:19> »
Check with your GM about expected power level before taking all of emsquared's advice. At a lot of tables 15 dice is perfectly acceptable for a frontline combatant.

That said Imp Reflexes 3 is a pretty extreme investment and 2 can often be more than enough to get by on, and dropping your magic to 5 would give you the chance to branch out a little.

emsquared

• Ace Runner
  • Super Perfundo
« Reply #3 on: <06-24-13/1447:24> »
Check with your GM about expected power level before taking all of emsquared's advice. At a lot of tables 15 dice is perfectly acceptable for a frontline combatant.
He'll only have 15 dice after Initiating a couple of times and grabbing Improved Ability (Unarmed). That's a ways down the road. He is set to start with 12. Starting a game with 12 dice as a primary combatant is what you'd expect at a 300 BP table...

Mad Hamish

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <06-25-13/0224:48> »
Also, your primary attack pool (Unarmed Combat) is deficient, IMO. 12 to 15 dice - which is what you'll probably have for the bulk of this character's life due to the high PP cost of Improved Attribute, and that you presently have no option for a Weapon Focus - is what I'd expect to see in a back-up combatant, i.e. a Rigger or a Face at chargen. Again to fix this, I'd recommend re-arranging your Powers some and taking some 'ware.

The 'ware I'd recommend to you is Muscle Augmentation 4 (which will also require Restricted Gear 1), and Muscle Toner 1.

Considering the low unarmed dice would it make more sense to get higher muscle toner and waiting on muscle augmentation for later?
(Maybe get agility to 1 below racial max and get a suprathyroid gland later?)

emsquared

• Ace Runner
  • Super Perfundo
« Reply #5 on: <06-25-13/1027:11> »
Considering the low unarmed dice would it make more sense to get higher muscle toner and waiting on muscle augmentation for later?
(Maybe get agility to 1 below racial max and get a suprathyroid gland later?)
Depends on how much 'ware he wants to take. Getting the STR hard-maxed woudn't be a priority for me (13 vs 15 is just -1 DV on an already ridiculous DV), but if he wanted to, he'd have to take a Suprathyroid. That's not necessary to hard-max his AGI though because 5 is his natural cap, which he can get with Karma, and then Toner 2 puts him at his Aug max.

But actually you're still right, he should go Toner 2 Aug 2, because beta-Aug 4 would be 112K while delta-Toner 2 would be 160K... I was looking at delta-Toner 1 before.  He can still hard-max his AGI and eventually get within 2 of STR, which is about all you can ask for as a troll. So yeah, markel, strike that previous advice on 'ware from Aug 4 Toner 1 to Aug 2 Toner 2... in fact I'll just go edit it...
« Last Edit: <06-25-13/1035:18> by emsquared »

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <06-25-13/1109:14> »
That also frees up a little space for Reflex Recorder, which helps the dice pool. Once you're punching people for that much damage, connecting is more important.

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <06-25-13/2259:07> »
3rd Revision, added a ranged weapon, assault rifle.

Tulvar (Troll Adept)
B 9, A 4/7, R 4/6, S 9/11, C 1, I 4, L 2, W 3, E 1, Ess 5.02, M 5, Init 8/10, IP 1/3
Condition Monitor boxes (Physical/Stun): 13/10
CMT Clip Commlink Condition Monitor: 9
Armor (Ballistic/Impact): 23/18
Skills: Athletics Group 1, Automatics 4 (Assault Rifles +2), Outdoors Group 1, Perception 1, Unarmed Combat 9 (Martial Arts +2)
Knowledge Skills: Elven Politics 4, English N, Fight Clubs 5, Japanese 3, Sperethiel 3, UCAS Black Projects 3
Metatype Abilities: Armor (+1/+1), Enhanced Senses: Thermographic Vision
Qualities: Adept, Boxing (1), Gremlins (1), Prejudiced (4): Ork (7dicepool), Restricted Gear: Muscle Toner (Alphaware), Spirit Bane: Spirits of Earth, The Warrior's Way: Improved Ability: Combat, Improved Reflexes
Adept Powers: Critical Strike (3), Improved Ability (5): Unarmed Combat, Improved Reflexes (2), Killing Hands
Bioware:
   Muscle Augmentation (Alphaware) (2)
   Muscle Toner (Alphaware) (3)
   Reflex Recorder (Alphaware): Unarmed Combat
   Reflex Recorder: Automatics
Gear:
   Backpack
   Certified Credstick with Custom Data
   Climbing Gear
   CMT Clip Commlink with Vector Xim Operating System
   Contact Lenses (2) with Image Link, Smartlink
   Form-Fitting Full-Body Suit with Gel Packs, Nonconductivity (2)
   Greatcoat with Chemical Protection, Insulation
   Sleeping  Bag
   Survival Kit
   Tent
   Tulvar with Fake SIN (4), Street Lifestyle
Weapons:
   Ares Alpha [Assault Rifles, DV 6P vs. B-1, SA/BF/BF-L/FA, RC 4, 42 (c)] with Grenade Launcher, Smartgun System, Internal
      Ares Alpha Grenade Launcher [Grenade Launchers, DV By Ammo, SS, RC 2, 6 (c)] with Smartgun System, Internal
   Ares Alpha Grenade Launcher [Grenade Launchers, DV By Ammo, SS, RC 2, 6 (c)] with Smartgun System, Internal
   Attack of Will (vs. Spirits) [DV 4P vs. I]
   Unarmed Strike [Unarmed, DV 11P vs. I, Reach 1]

Hero Lab® and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Shadowrun © 2005-2013 The Topps Company, Inc. All rights reserved. Shadowrun is a registered trademark of The Topps Company, Inc.
« Last Edit: <06-25-13/2319:49> by markelphoenix »

emsquared

• Ace Runner
  • Super Perfundo
« Reply #8 on: <06-26-13/1241:37> »
I would not recommend the Toner 3. ESS/MAG is too precious for you. You can get to your racial max (5) with karma during play, and Toner 2 will take you to your augmented max. Why burn MAG needlessly? Not to mention rank 3 Toner is a non-optimal use of the Restricted Gear Quality, just get 2.

You've taken 5 ranks in Improved Ability (Unarmed), 3 of which do absolutely nothing for you. The maximum augmented Skill rating is 9. You've hit that with just Reflex Recorders (Unarmed) and Improved Ability (Unarmed) 2. Drop 3 of the IA and do something else with the PP (might I recommend Combat Sense).

With Toner 2 and RR and IA 2, you'll start the game throwing 17 dice when using Martial Arts. That's fine - though I'd still see if your GM will let Hardliner Gloves fall under the Unarmed Combat Skill, as you're still lacking a way to utilize Weapon Foci.

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <06-26-13/1418:05> »
It's cut and dry that Hardliner Gloves use the Unarmed Combat skill, what's sketchy is trying to apply Critical Strike to them.

emsquared

• Ace Runner
  • Super Perfundo
« Reply #10 on: <06-26-13/1847:05> »
It's cut and dry that Hardliner Gloves use the Unarmed Combat skill ...
So it is! Weird, I wonder if I just had that impression because it's listed under exotic weapons...?