NEWS

Horrors

• 649 Replies

bobo69

• Chummer
« Reply #60 on: <09-14-10/1218:13> »
Yes the horrors are preety twisted, another close inspiration are those chaos abominations from Warhammer.

And horrors can appear in any shape or form...(items, gigantic monsters, etc.). The most dangerous horrors are those who are quite subtle and corrupt namegivers. But of course a charging 50 foot mutated spider horror will make anyone run.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #61 on: <09-14-10/1228:32> »
No offense to the Cthulhu or Warhammer Chaos loving guys but, none of those baddies make any sense.  The Cthulhu ones are at least interesting, but the Chaos enemies are just out for the kill, and are largely uninteresting to me.  They also aren't very...chaotic.  Given that they ALWAYS appear in certain forms, and have set goals and plans, they are a bit contradictory.  Not really Chaos-ey.  And their motivations are just...well...epic for the sake of having an epic foe, really.  They just don't grab me.

The Horrors, OTOH, have understandable, if sick and twisted, motivations.  And they have the powers and abilities to ensure that they need never confront anyone directly and risk themselves.  The more mindless ones jump into the fray and fight (and quite well) but the more intelligent and powerful ones don't need to and are smart enough to deny their prey any hope of escape.  Think about it, if you were a hunter in the woods searching for his next meal, would you give it any chance to harm you or escape?
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

bobo69

• Chummer
« Reply #62 on: <09-14-10/1352:44> »
As said, the cthulhu and warhammer are just for inspiration. The horrors can appear in any shape or form(if any at all) or even an idea. A horror as an idea(every watch the movie Pontypool).

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #63 on: <09-14-10/1449:47> »
Pontypool?  No, what's that about?

As far as inspiration for looks goes, ya.  Cthulhu and Chaos have some interesting visuals.  Many are downright freaky and creepy and all things scary.  I just have the problem with motivation.  The whole "it does this because it doesn't think like us" always seemed a cop-out.

But back to visuals.  There is an artist that has done lots of work for Games Workshop and he has a pretty distinctive style.  Everything looks like it is covered in spikes and thorns and looks like every bit of the creature/character/personality sort of grew out of it.  Like it's armor is just an extension of its skin or something.  Freaky, and I like it for some things (mosters or Chaos) but feel it is out of place anywhere else.
There is no overkill.

Juxtamon

• Newb
« Reply #64 on: <09-14-10/1453:58> »
Pontypool!  Points for you, sir!  Awesome!  Killer viral idea.

That, for some reason, reminds me of the horror/possession flick with Denzel as agent/investigator fella...bodyhopping evil possessing thing.  Not directly reminds, but just as an idea for a nasty Horror idea...

Great.  Now to make sure Enderby doesn't read this...
"Was it in Tahiti?  Were we on the Nile?"

bobo69

• Chummer
« Reply #65 on: <09-14-10/1457:51> »
Actually the warhammer 40K and Warhammer fantasy RPGs made by Fantasy Flight games are somewhat diverging from the usual big ugly mutated chaos monster. Its actually becoming kinda like gothic horror.

Anyways, besides being an idea. A horror could be a room like 1408(great movie with John Cusack).

Yeah Pontypool, good movie.

bobo69

• Chummer
« Reply #66 on: <09-14-10/1500:38> »
Yeah, the movie Fallen...good movie too.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #67 on: <09-14-10/1502:27> »
There is a Horror in Earthdawn called Ristul, which is short for some phrase meaning "action eternally corrupting."  Basically, if something becomes corrupted by Ristul, then it becomes a part of Ristul.  People corrupted become the Ristular, and their souls are atomized and mixed together with that of Ristul and every being or creature that has ever been corrupted by Ristul.  Intelligent beings corrupted by Ristul are aware of everything that happened to them, but become part of the whole, and aware of all the others.  They know they are not themselves, they are aware of it, but they are absorbed into the spiritual mass of Ristul and do its will.  Which becomes their will, as well.  It's a little disturbing.
There is no overkill.

bobo69

• Chummer
« Reply #68 on: <09-14-10/1636:21> »
I'd like to see Artificer break into the Shadowrun world. This Horror can really wreck a lot of damage especially on tech.

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #69 on: <09-14-10/1732:15> »
Yup. If one of them can understand and attack the matrix, it's Artificer.
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #70 on: <09-14-10/2146:48> »
Yup. If one of them can understand and attack the matrix, it's Artificer.

Hmm . . . Artificer as Dissonance?  Or (even more disturbing) the Deep Resonance?!

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #71 on: <09-15-10/0407:10> »
Time is on my side

Yes it is

Can someone fill me in on this Artificer horror? I migth need a techno threat in my next run and was thinking a AI but something more odd could be fun
"Didnt anyone tell you as security school to geek the mage first?"  "I guess I will just have to educate you with a introduction to my boomstick"

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #72 on: <09-15-10/0525:51> »
Artificer is a powerful great form earth elemental that the Horrors corrupted and turned into one of their own.  His big thing is making dungeon complexes filled with traps.  He is the explanation for the fantasy trope of trap-filled dungeon complexes.  The traps are almost always complex mechanical/magical traps that are traps within traps.  He feeds on the pain and suffering caused by his traps upon people.
There is no overkill.

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #73 on: <09-15-10/0616:35> »
so Artificer, in turn, Corrupted Gary Gygax?  ::) ;)

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #74 on: <09-15-10/0805:11> »
I wouldn't say corrupted, but they had a regular poker game going.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100