NEWS

Why Wired Reflexes

• 78 Replies

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #75 on: <04-14-14/2028:33> »
I think RAW arguments tend to make more sense when you're worried about missions games.  Home games are easily tailored to taste so RAW is irrelevant and really, so is RAI.

I find this argument problematic - simply put, you need to know how the rules are supposed to work before you go changing them to taste.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #76 on: <04-15-14/0251:29> »
I think RAW arguments tend to make more sense when you're worried about missions games.  Home games are easily tailored to taste so RAW is irrelevant and really, so is RAI.

I find this argument problematic - simply put, you need to know how the rules are supposed to work before you go changing them to taste.

Agreed. Too many times people go and "change" things to their liking without fully realizing the full extent of what they are changing.... and then things "break" in their games... and they come and complain here...

Changing things to suit your table's play style is fine... when you fully understand what changes you are making, but without a grounding in RAW/RAI it can be hard to exactly understand the consequences of a "house rule to simplify XXX"
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #77 on: <04-15-14/0254:48> »

Agreed. Too many times people go and "change" things to their liking without fully realizing the full extent of what they are changing.... and then things "break" in their games... and they come and complain here...

Changing things to suit your table's play style is fine... when you fully understand what changes you are making, but without a grounding in RAW/RAI it can be hard to exactly understand the consequences of a "house rule to simplify XXX"

Chief example:  People deciding to nerf something they wrongly believe to be overpowered, simply because they having done near enough looking into the balancing factors.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #78 on: <04-15-14/0854:37> »

Chief example:  People deciding to nerf something they wrongly believe to be overpowered, simply because they having done near enough looking into the balancing factors.

I always find RAW to be important, as is RAI (though clearly RAI is harder to determine--  Sometimes) because if you're not going to try and use the rules as they're being stated at all, why play the game at all?  Go find another system you understand and try to shoe-horn the setting into it.

Shadowrun is the setting and the system, yeah?  They're made and changed at the same time.  So when you houserule something, you have to think "Was this designed with the setting and the mechanics already in mind?  Does my change still fit both as well?"  The people working on it are supposed to know the system and setting well enough to make rules and systems that reflect both parts well and generally know them better than the average player.  At least, I assume that's how it's supposed to be.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.