NEWS

New Copy of SR5 has pages falling out!

• 93 Replies

Lord Nikon

• Newb
« Reply #30 on: <10-27-13/1042:46> »
I have to say, I got this book a week ago and I've been reading it only to have some pages getting pulled away. I had this happen with another book once and I thought nothing about it until it fell apart. Those were the old orange spine AD&D books from the '80s. This book is nicely done, huge and costly. So I am adding my name to pot here for falling apart.. :(

Edit: I emailed the company and they responded quickly, with a wonderful resolve. :)
« Last Edit: <10-28-13/1309:00> by Lord Nikon »

VonEros

• Newb
« Reply #31 on: <10-30-13/1247:14> »
What gets me is here we are, thirty posts and over a thousand reads later, and we still have no official word on what can, will, or even might be done to resolve what is clearly not an isolated issue. That is really disappointing. Even with a skeleton crew, you would think someone could have said something by now...

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #32 on: <10-30-13/1609:32> »
The e-mail I used was the battle corps contact one. They resolved the issue quickly and though my new book is not falling apart yet I can see why they are. Typical books of this size have the pages glued to a price of cloth that run the length of the book and is not directly glued to the spine. Go to your local game store and you will se it very easily especially on hero system books. This allows the pages to flex away from the spine and not have issues. In the Shadowrun book this peice of cloth is replaced with a peice if papers tick and it is in some of the books I looked at glued excessively and fixed to the spine which when opens the pages try to flex and the papers layers give way causing it to pull apart and leave parts of it still attach to the spine. This weeker peice of paper doesn't hold the pages strongly enough. Or at least that is my opinion based on less than a years work in a printing company many and I mean many years ago so please take what I say with a large grain of salt.

All in all I am very happy with the way the company fixed my purchase and after checking out the books in the store I found one that wasn't glued directly to the spine and it is holding up really well so far. Crosses fun gyres :)
Red
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Warlordtheft

• Newb
« Reply #33 on: <10-31-13/1551:51> »
I bought mine at my FLGS and am in my first read through. 3 pages fell out, 1 near the insert, 2 a couple of pages later. Should I still go through battle corps? Are they going to send me a new copy?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #34 on: <10-31-13/1831:39> »
I has a copy now!  YAY!!!  ;D

I'll tell you how it holds together.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Lord Nikon

• Newb
« Reply #35 on: <11-17-13/1939:24> »
Well.. update on mine. I emailed Catalyst directly, and got a nice wonderful response, and they even sent me a replacement book. By the time it came, my original book the first half of the book the pages had been sliding out. I tried a few things from various book sites about getting some type of glue and placing them back in, but the pages came out again.

The replacement book after two readings, has stayed together. But I followed the how to open the book based on the picture shown in here in an earlier post. I am very scared to use it. I mostly am using the falling apart one.

Funny.. my 2e softcover that was beat to hell and thrown around the table back when I was a young kid, hasn't had one page fall out..  I think maybe the problem is its hardcover, and such a large book. I wonder how the softcover book is. I did see a SC book on ebay.. I wonder if it was a POD from drivethru or something.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #36 on: <11-18-13/1238:42> »
Almost certainly the Origins pre release softcover.

Gardensnake

• Newb
« Reply #37 on: <11-18-13/1334:34> »

There is a retailer-incentive soft cover as well. For every so many copies a retailer ordered (10 I think), they received a soft cover version of the hard back. It doesn't have the origins blurb on the cover.

William

Lord Nikon

• Newb
« Reply #38 on: <11-18-13/1553:47> »

There is a retailer-incentive soft cover as well. For every so many copies a retailer ordered (10 I think), they received a soft cover version of the hard back. It doesn't have the origins blurb on the cover.

William

I saw a bunch selling on ebay, for almost the same price as the hardcover. I wonder if the softcover will stay together better. I think all those pages and the hardcover is what may be pulling the pages.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #39 on: <11-19-13/0905:58> »
while I like the nice hardcover book.... in many ways I like the softcover books better.

I have some Robotech and Rifts books from back in the 80's... and they are still in good shape given their age and abuse they have endured over the years.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #40 on: <11-19-13/2000:08> »
The Softcover feels very, very fragile.  It's a VERY large, very heavy book, and it always feels like the very weight of the tome is going to rip itself apart whenever I pick it up.  My softcover is safely stored on the shelf now.

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #41 on: <11-19-13/2037:09> »
The Softcover feels very, very fragile.  It's a VERY large, very heavy book, and it always feels like the very weight of the tome is going to rip itself apart whenever I pick it up.  My softcover is safely stored on the shelf now.

I had the same feeling after handling the Origins Special Edition a few times.  I now carry a hardcover when I go to events.  The interior spine is starting to show signs of wear at the bottom (as if the pages might come loose), but I'm thinking of trying some bookbinding glue to reinforce it a bit.

I still don't think it'd be safe to pick up the hardcover by one cover, but I tend not to treat my books like that anyway.
« Last Edit: <11-19-13/2039:09> by Fringe »
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)

Airswing

• Newb
« Reply #42 on: <11-19-13/2218:42> »
I too have had a fifth edition fall apart.

Which contact did you use? Its been a week for me and i have heard nothing from them yet.

Its a shame because i was just getting into the character creation when it all went to pieces.

Lord Nikon

• Newb
« Reply #43 on: <11-21-13/2014:30> »

I see. I have the pathfinder Beta book from Gencon that is the same size as the Pathfinder book, and that still holds after all the abuse my group did to it. Its almost the same size.. if they can do it, catalyst can too :)

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #44 on: <11-21-13/2049:48> »
Interesting bit, by the way, I got a chance to look at a german copy (girlfriend can handle German well so she got a German player of ours to order one for her, at 20 euros instead of 58 it's a bargain), and they bound in sections there. So rather than all pages glued directly to the back, they glued it in bits, and from the side it looks like a repeated u-shape of paper. Not sure how much sense that description makes to people.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!