NEWS

Agenda of Trans-Latvia (NeoNET) and/or Ordo Maximus

• 6 Replies

belaran

• Omae
« on: <08-18-16/0343:45> »
Hi,

I've decided to use the mysterious "trans-latvia enteprises", owner of a big chunk of NeoNET. I've read information about them a bit everywhere (except novels, but I don't think any cover them), and here what I have gathered

• no one knows exactly who owns the corporation, and common rumors ties them to some Vampires and/or blue blood, the Ordo Maximus (more of the same) and even comatose dragon Eliohann ;
  • the corporation is a bit more AI/XenoSapient friendly (Corporate Guide, SR4) than Villiers and have often sided with Celedyr on this ;
  • the corporation comes from a Trans-Europa, which is known for its mob ties, and thus appears to have ties to the Boston Franklyn Associate (an other mobster bank);
  • HQ is @Talinn, Estonia, and most of the (at least public) history of the corp has been lost during 2029 and 2064 Crash ;
  • in the early 2070's, Miles Lanier was tasked to figure out who owns them (by Villiers) for over year and came back with squat (Corpore Guide, SR4)
  • Being a "mob" corp, they appear to be good at corrupting judge, and its seems they have the Justice Chief Hino in their pocket (from the Corporate Court)
  • their "secret agenda", if any, is unknown, but they appears to have a lot of clinics and do research on brains (cf Lanier, again in Corporate Court)
  • their represent is a former mobster (The Hammer) who have disappeared for a while and came back (maybe Infected) - and has ties to the Ordo Maximus, and also to DeVries

So know, here is my question : did I miss some piece of trivia about them ? Is there a book or a scenario I may have overlooked that will bring me a bit more info/meat on the corporation ?

Thanks !

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #1 on: <08-25-16/0040:40> »
Gotta look in your history for this one, too - Trans-Latvia was one of the Big D's shell corporations (not unlike 'Gavilan Ventures').  My personal pet theory on Trans-Latvia was that the Big D was the money behind Villiers in his takeover of JRJ (which showed him how to perform a hostile takeover, i.e. the blueprint for the computer-executed Knight-Cross-Dunkelzahn takeover of Ares), and Trans-Latvia was how he kept tabs on Fuchi.  As Trans-Latvia would have been part of the background, the DF (i.e. Nadja Daviar) received control of it at that time but ...

IIRC, when Crash 2.0 happened, things got fuzzy, and the primary theory goes that the people who were in charge on site basically said, 'screw this, we're gonna take the place over' - and essentially went to the Grey Wolves, the Vory, and other Eastern European OC for the cash to pull it off.  Which, of course, meant that in part, the Wolves et.al. are now calling the shots with what's going on inside TLE (too close to TLE-x for my tastes!!).

There is, AFAIK, no canon about who's actually in charge.

If you want to really twist the screws on your players, make it have been early e-Ghosts and technosapients - basically, that the ownership (and thus the source of its political/cultural/economic agendas) comes from the first post-2.0 AIs.  At that early date, such individuals would find it much easier than standard to arrange for stock shifts, money theft, data raids, and the like; the ties into the Ordo come from members of English nobility who were part of the Ordo's 'outer layers', but who became electrokinetics from the Crash.  They've generally managed to conceal themselves, but there are still the ties there ...

... and it gives their position inside one of the megas doing the experimentations 'on their kind' that much more punch ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <08-25-16/1626:54> »
Trans-Latvia was one of the Big D's shell corporations
As far as I know, the only source for this connection is a Plan 9 rant in Market Panic, page 122.

My personal pet theory on Trans-Latvia was that the Big D was the money behind Villiers in his takeover of JRJ (which showed him how to perform a hostile takeover, i.e. the blueprint for the computer-executed Knight-Cross-Dunkelzahn takeover of Ares), and Trans-Latvia was how he kept tabs on Fuchi.
Damien Knight acquired his Ares Macrotechnology stock in 2033 (Corporate Shadowfiles annex, Blood in the Boardroom, page 54, Corporate Download, page 34). Richard Villiers helped Fuchi Industrial Electronics take over JRJ International in 2038 (Blood in the Boardroom, page 24).

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #3 on: <08-25-16/2117:30> »
Well, there goes that pet theory.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

PatrolDeer

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <09-22-19/0809:07> »
If you want to really twist the screws on your players, make it have been early e-Ghosts and technosapients - basically, that the ownership (and thus the source of its political/cultural/economic agendas) comes from the first post-2.0 AIs.  At that early date, such individuals would find it much easier than standard to arrange for stock shifts, money theft, data raids, and the like; the ties into the Ordo come from members of English nobility who were part of the Ordo's 'outer layers', but who became electrokinetics from the Crash.  They've generally managed to conceal themselves, but there are still the ties there ...

... and it gives their position inside one of the megas doing the experimentations 'on their kind' that much more punch ...

Sorry for necro-posting, but I am wondering around the forum, looking for some European based lore and found this thread. In Shadows of Europe, Trans-Latvia is mentioned  doing heavy investment in startups' around the regions. In regards to Latvia, the section says that some dark age historical sites are getting attention.

Estonia is one of the most technologically advanced countries in the EU (future NEEC) so I would't be surprised if truly some AI / Techno sapiens were in the background.
Perhaps they are working on mapping minor lay lines and mana rich areas and their effect on technology, similar to Wuxing feng shui approach.

mcv

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <09-25-19/0550:25> »
Estonia is one of the most technologically advanced countries in the EU (future NEEC) so I would't be surprised if truly some AI / Techno sapiens were in the background.
Estonia's e-citizenship might turn out to be the perfect avenue for an AI to go legal and acquire the right to own stuff.

(In real life it probably doesn't work that way, but in Shadowrun it definitely should.)

PatrolDeer

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <09-25-19/0701:52> »
My knowledge of AI and its interaction with CFD is very limited, but I do have a feel for it as similar to "Hive mind" or better to say it "Shared unconsciousness".
Tossing a bit of fake sins, media manipulation and "Stand alone complex" E-citizenship can be the right way to establish a corporation without having a physical shell