NEWS

SR6 Drone Matrix Attributes

• 3 Replies

Winky

• Newb
« on: <09-15-20/1654:38> »
I'm having a hard time understanding what the matrix attributes for a drone/vehicle are in 6e.

I understand that the Sensor rating is the same as the Device Rating, and that in 5e the Device Rating was used for any Matrix attribute that wasn't explicitly stated for the device, but it doesn't say that anywhere in the 6e rulebook that I can find and instead says "If the device doesn't possess one or more of the Matrix attributes, then the applicable attribute is treated as if it were 0." (p174)

So if I have a Steel Lynx Combat Drone, is its Firewall stat 4 (equal to its Sensor stat), or is its Firewall stat 0?
« Last Edit: <09-15-20/1701:53> by Winky »

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-15-20/1717:07> »
Devices have whatever attributes the network they are connected to have.

For drones that would typically be the Data Processing and Firewall rating of the Rigger's RCC, but in case they are guarding a facility of some sort they are perhaps instead part of a larger and more stationary host.

As for mental attributes:

SR6 p. 180 Matrix Actions
Drones use their Pilot Rating in place of the Mental Attribute.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <09-15-20/2018:42> »
Device Rating = Sensor attribute (SR6, pg. 201)

Firewall does not equal Device Rating, however.  Firewall (indeed all matrix stats) for drones and vehicles is 0.  The matrix stats that drones use to defend vs matrix/hacking are the matrix stats of the device controlling the network (commlink, RCC, or host, etc)
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <09-16-20/1206:16> »
So if I have a Steel Lynx Combat Drone, is its Firewall stat 4 (equal to its Sensor stat), or is its Firewall stat 0?
Just in case this is specifically in reference to the steel lynx in Battle Royale, that drone should have its wireless functionality OFF and thus unhackable without direct connection.