NEWS

chameleon suit and ruthenium poly.

• 62 Replies

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #15 on: <05-02-13/1030:47> »
Actually, he means the coat doesn't cover your whole body.  If it matched the stuff around it, then you'd have obvious legs walking around with a harder to discern body.

While it would be much better for my faith in humanity to believe that to be true...

That's not at all what he said.

On the other hand, in a situation like FFBA+Lined Coat, you might find a GM ruling that you need to poly-coat both, as the layer under the coat will be visible.
(Emphasis mine)

He may well have meant something other than what he said, but my (rather formidable) psychic abilities are somewhat limited by the interwebs (Astral and Matrix don't mix).

It's reasonable, in the absence of anything to indicate otherwise, in an environment where wearing two helmets at the same time is a matter of serious debate, to assume he meant what he said.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

mtfeeney = Baron

• Ace Runner
  • I love crunchy numbers
« Reply #16 on: <05-02-13/1035:51> »
He's not saying the coat turns invisible and you see the stuff beneath it. He's saying the coat is an outer layer, but it doesn't cover your whole body, so the layer under it (shirt, pants, shoes) needs the coating, too.
Remember, you don't have to kill the vehicle to stop it, just kill the guy driving it.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #17 on: <05-02-13/1041:59> »
I know what you're saying he meant, but what you said that he meant is not what he said. If he meant what you meant he should have said what you meant, not what he said.

What I meant was that what he meant is not what the rules meant nor what you meant but meant what he said it meant.

Got it?

;)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

mtfeeney = Baron

• Ace Runner
  • I love crunchy numbers
« Reply #18 on: <05-02-13/1043:24> »
That made me chuckle, which is always good before bedtime. Thanks.  ;D
Remember, you don't have to kill the vehicle to stop it, just kill the guy driving it.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <05-02-13/1058:50> »
Is that an actual item somewhere?

I actually have a player that had to get one to basically make his new armor work.

To explain:
Player wanted to get Milspec armor. No problem, after going through availabilities and all of that, he settled on Medium Milspec that (in addition to other upgrades) would have Chameleon Coating (to at least mitigate the "holy crap milspec!" effect).
After going through all the upgrades, the player realized that he doesn't have a way to hide his equipment, the armor doesn't exactly have a storage compartment. So rather than needing to modify all of his guns and other equipment with chameleon coating, we just had him buy a cloak (clothing) and modify it with the Ruthenium Polymer Coating armor enhancement so that he can wear it over the top of everything and hide the rest of the stuff that he has hanging off the armor...

Does that seem about right, or is there something already out there that does this?

Prodigy

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <05-02-13/1154:14> »
Yeah, buy a poncho (75 nuyen I believe?) then add chameleon coating. Done.

Anarkitty

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <05-02-13/1343:38> »
Actually, with MilSpec armor, it would be cool if there was a form of Ruthenium coating that did just make the armor invisible, instead appearing to just be a civilian walking down the street in the business suit you have on underneath, despite wearing more armor than some light tanks.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <05-02-13/1349:25> »
Yeah, while going *clank* *clank* *clank* the whole way  :-\

Plus you would be probably about an inch off the ground, and your clothes would be hard pressed against your body because of the fit of the armor...

Now, you might be able to program the ruthenium coating to display a particular image (of you) on the outside, but at best it would probably seem distorted and move strangely when someone got up close.

Might be able to get away with a Holo-Projector or something...

Anarkitty

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <05-02-13/1402:10> »
Yeah, I don't think the fluff or the crunch really support the idea, it is just an amusing mental image.
 Maybe combine the two, use Ruthenium to make yourself invisible, and then holoprojectors to generate a non-armored you in roughly the same location so people don't bump into you on the street, and you can still walk into Stuffer Shack for a drink.

Mantis

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <05-02-13/1415:49> »
What sort of games are you playing where mil-spec armour is every day wear? I see things like chameleon coating/ruthenium polymers used on this sort of armour to help camouflage the stuff while in the jungle or whatever while on an op. Not while going to the stuffer shack. I know you may be joking about this but I've seen enough posts where this is a serious consideration. Mil-spec is not everyday wear.

Anarkitty

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <05-02-13/1553:50> »
It depends on how pink and how tall your mohawk is ;D

My character doesn't do this, though.  She goes to the Stuffer Shack in a transparent ruthenium coated Second Skin bodysuit suit with a continuously shifting pattern of neon lines (like Tron on acid), carrying a massively modded Warhawk pistol and riding a souped-up monocycle.  Duh.
(My metaphorical mohawk is pretty damn pink. ;) )
« Last Edit: <05-02-13/1619:28> by Anarkitty »

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <05-02-13/1554:35> »
Actually, with MilSpec armor, it would be cool if there was a form of Ruthenium coating that did just make the armor invisible, instead appearing to just be a civilian walking down the street in the business suit you have on underneath, despite wearing more armor than some light tanks.
That's not too far away from Adaptiv.

Mantis

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <05-02-13/1640:21> »
Hmmm. My pink mohawk is well hidden beneath a hat and mirrorshades.

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #28 on: <05-02-13/1728:36> »
If you wear a hairmet you won't have to brush it latter.
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <05-02-13/1742:10> »
Joe: "Invisible" is perfectly servicable shorthand for the function.  It's not precise, but shorthand never is.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites