NEWS

Another name for UB?

• 28 Replies

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #15 on: <11-16-14/0356:11> »
Is this actually a cult?  Or can you make it into something else that tends to develop a cult-like following?  Rehabilitation clinics works, unaffiliated fringe churches would work too.  Or perhaps a book club?  Actually a book club might work really well!  Ever notice that a book instantly makes the #1 bestseller list when it becomes an Oprah's Book Club selection?  I mean she commands an army of millions of people worth of buying power.  If she's not a Mantis spirit....
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <11-16-14/1153:12> »
Isn't Universal Omnitech supposed to be an insect spirit front?

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #17 on: <11-16-14/1230:00> »
Not sure where you heard that, Herr Brackhaus.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #18 on: <11-26-14/0113:42> »
How about "church of the universal way"? Implies religious cult, make meetings look like a non-denominational church with some slight (weird/unusual) changes, have a definite inner circle, etc.
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #19 on: <11-27-14/0116:50> »
Or just 'The Way'.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Superman

• Chummer
« Reply #20 on: <11-27-14/0850:18> »
New borns foundation
Jezz the matrix rule sucks..

Alpha Blue

• Newb
« Reply #21 on: <11-28-14/1702:58> »
New church of scientology?

McGuffin

• Newb
« Reply #22 on: <12-02-14/0818:38> »
How about "Eternal Friendship Collective" or "Fellowship Foundation"?
Both terms try to reflect the original message of family, universal validity and equality.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #23 on: <12-02-14/0859:41> »
Yeah, Friendship or Fellowship Foundation has a nice ring to it.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

PittsburghRPGA

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
  • Catalyst Demo Team Field Agent #524
« Reply #24 on: <12-02-14/1000:42> »
You could steal a fake cultish church from The Mentalist. The Visualize Self-Realization Center run by Brett Stiles (played by Malcolm McDowell). And there is a logo of the "church" on the Mentalist Wikia. http://thementalist.wikia.com/wiki/Visualize

Eric

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <12-02-14/1054:43> »
Wouldn't players be automatically suspicious of anything in the game that's selling friendship or otherwise "feel good" vibes?  The various self-improvement pyramid schemes out there seem like a better model--they're attractive to weak-willed middling white collar folks in 2014 and I imagine that same would be true in 2075.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

McGuffin

• Newb
« Reply #26 on: <12-02-14/1410:18> »
In my game, players are automatically suspicious about everything. The nicer the appearance the more paranoid they react.
Sometimes I just throw in useless side-information about NPCs, like that dude is known for donating money to homeless shelters, because I know they immediately see him as some kind of villain with sinister motives and freak out.
As a matter of fact, at one point they sided with a mobster, well known for brutality, instead of the elegant Johnson (who hired them in the first place), just because the Johnson was constantly smiling for no obvious reason.  :o

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #27 on: <12-02-14/1511:15> »
Actually, you SHOULD be automatically suspicious of anyone selling you 'feel-good vibes' - the UB's techniques are, by Waverly/Davitt's investigation, based on such fun organizations as the Moonies (such as so-called 'love bombing').  It is, on the other hand, also touted as a 'be the best you you can be' self-help organization, yeah.

Of note, though, is that a lot of significant individuals (the CEO of Sony, for example) are a part of it - at least as basic members.  Remember, not everyone makes it to bugdom.  A GM planning on using them really, really needs to read the download cover-to-cover and do detail work with it for in-depth understanding and plotting.  The UB was the UNICEF / Christian Save The Children / Super Feel-Good Charity of its time.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

McGuffin

• Newb
« Reply #28 on: <12-02-14/1616:38> »
The UB was the UNICEF / Christian Save The Children / Super Feel-Good Charity of its time.

They did change a lot of lifes. Nobody can argue that  :P