NEWS

Smartgun/smartlink/contacts/glasses, how does it work?

• 21 Replies

PMárk

• Chummer
« Reply #15 on: <01-25-19/1121:10> »
Ok, so revised understanding is no DNI required, only that you have to pay Essence for Smartlink implant to gain the +2 dice pool. If you're wearing goggles or contacts you get the +1 dice pool if you're running wireless and if you go old school with a cable you just get the acc bonus.

And to add to this revised understanding (as I've been puzzling this through as well, life was so much less faff when it was "smartgun to palmpad to smartlink" or "smartgub to cable to smartgoggles.") The "mental command to drop clips etc" only works if you have a DNI (ie. you have smartlink hardware in your head?) Am I getting that right?

Thanks guys.

Right now, I don't think you even need that, to use the free action stuff. I'm getting it as you can use those, with a DNI, even if you don't have a smartgun/link system, because it's a wireless option for all guns. Except, I guess, for those whom are saying explicitely they don't have any wireless stuff integrated.

On the other hand, you don't need DNi for using them with a smartgun/link, that system works as a substitute for DNI.

So, right now, IMO, you have acces to:

1. Free actions, if you have DNI and the gun is running its wireless functions

2. Free actions, accuracy bonus and +1 to attack pool, if you have a smartgun and smartlink on an external device.

3. Free actions, accuracy bonus and +2 to attack if you're have the smartlink installed in your eyes.

Everyone, is that correct?
If nothing worked, let's think!

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <01-25-19/1948:12> »
By my understanding:

• Ejecting/inserting a clip or changing firing modes is a Simple Action by default (Falls into Use Simple Device action).
  • If you have a DNI and are connected to the device (by any means), you can perform these actions with a mental command, but it is still considered a Simple Action.
  • The Smartgun system being installed/attached to the gun adds the quicker action allowance. It is listed as one of the wireless bonus benefits in the gear. As was mentioned, most guns (that aren't throwbacks) likely have the ability to control these functions by wireless, but it is the smartgun system which makes it both fast and easy.

I would probably allow the Free Actions for someone with a DNI through entirely wired means (i.e. datajack direct wired to gun) even if they are running with wireless off. Wouldn't get the dice bonus, but there is precedence for some wireless bonuses to be available with that turned off with special circumstances (internal router).

Odsh

• Chummer
« Reply #17 on: <01-10-21/0648:30> »
Sorry for necroing an old thread, but I have the exact same questions for Shadowrun 6. After reading the whole discussion, the conclusion is still not clear to me.

I'm specifically interested in the "free action" stuff. Specifically for Shadowrun 6, when are you allowed to use the "reload smartgun" minor action instead of the "reload weapon" major action?

Obviously, you need a weapon with a smartgun system - so far so good.

After that, it gets murky. Do you need a direct neural interface, be it trodes, a datajack, or an implanted commlink? Or is the smartlink vision enhancement sufficient?

From my understanding, the smartlink vision enhancement doesn't need to be implanted in your cybereyes, but can for example be added to goggles that you have equipped.
In the first case, I can imagine that the smartlink is wired to your brain via the cybereyes.
But in the second case, how would you use the smartlink system to send a mental "eject clip" command to the smartgun?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <01-10-21/1011:18> »
  • Smartgun accessed by universal access port cable to an imaging device that have a smartlink accessory (like glasses, goggles, or a datajack for someone with cybereyes): Reload Smartgun (I) Minor Action
  • Smartgun accessed by an imaging device that have a smartlink accessory via a wireless connection working in concert with DNI: Reload Smartgun (I) Minor Action and Gain one bonus Minor Action in any combat turn whenever you use the Reload Smartgun Action.
  • Regular (non-smartgun) firearms (but also Smartguns if the user does not have a smartlink or the smartlink is disenganged): Reload Weapon (I) Major Action
  • Regular firearms that have clip (rather than belt or magazine etc), is wireless enabled and while user have DNI: Reload Weapon (I) Major Action and Gain one bonus Minor Action in any combat turn whenever you eject a clip.
« Last Edit: <01-10-21/1013:52> by Xenon »

Odsh

• Chummer
« Reply #19 on: <01-10-21/1158:05> »
Thanks for the answer Xenon.

I do not doubt that this is RAW, but my question remains. What is the explanation or justification for case 1 when using a goggle with smartlink vision enhancement?
From my understanding, reloading a smartgun is faster than reloading a non-smartgun-enabled weapon because you can eject the clip with a mental command. How does that even work with a goggle? Granted, it displays things in your field of view like a targetting reticle or remaining ammo, thanks to the smartlink and smartgun doing what they are meant to do, but how do you use it to send mental commands to the weapon?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <01-10-21/1232:24> »
You can employ cyberware functionality through mental command, yes.  But you can also make full use of cyberware by physical muscle movements, too.  In the case of smartlinks, you can do things like ejecting the clip by "looking" at AROs the cyberware is generating in your field of view.  It's already possible in the real world to interact with computers only via eye motion.

It's not assumed that you'd go full wireless off on your gun and/or your smartlink.  Even though a smartlink has no wireless bonus, it's kind of prima facie that if the smartgun is going to benefit from the wireless bonus, then your smartlink (be it in your goggles, in your cybereyes, or even implanted into your natural eyes) must also be wireless-on*.   Yes, that could be spelled out specifically, but at least it's "reasonably" obvious from a logical standpoint.

* A smartlink, whether as a vision modification to gear or as cyberware, is "part of the smartgun system", per pg. 275 SR6.

Now it's not specified but again logically speaking, if either side of the system is wireless off, you're going to have to string a wire between the two sides of the system to even get the system working.  And that wouldn't establish that the wireless bonus is available, either.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <01-10-21/1243:54> »
When you use DNI and a wireless enabled firearm you get a free minor action back when you eject the clip (because if you have access to DNI and a wireless firearm then you can eject the clip as a "free" mental action). This bonus minor action is triggered no matter if you use a smartgun or not. When you don't have DNI or if you don't use a wireless enabled firearm then you don't get a free minor action back. It used a similar mechanic in SR5 as well.

(The real question is rather why there is no Insert Clip Minor Action in SR6)