NEWS

Empathy software and optimization

• 8 Replies

Chance359

• Newb
« on: <05-04-11/1744:42> »

"Empathy software is designed for use with standard video/trideo cameras, carefully analyzing the behavioral patterns of the subject to ascertain mood, interest, and so on. Empathy soft ware can be used to make a Judge Intentions Test (see p. 130, SR4) for emotional status using its rating as the dice pool. It does not detect falsehoods; that’s the realm of lie detection soft ware. Empathy soft ware can be discreetly used in real time during negotiations or social interactions, adding its rating as a dice pool bonus to the character’s Social skill tests."

Optimization
This modification optimizes the device’s processor and components to enhance one particular program, applying a +1 dice pool modifier for all tests using that software. Each device may only be optimized once.

So my semi muchikin question is can I optimize my comm link for empathy software to get an extra die for my social skills?  I never have a commlink capable of running rating 5 or 6 software, but I keep getting drafted to be my tables face I'm looking for a way to increase my social skill pools.  ?

Maelstrom

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <05-05-11/1400:29> »
In my opinion, no.

Empathy adds a dice pool bonus to the character's Social skill tests.

The character isn't strictly making a test using the Empathy program as they would be with Attack, Armor, Browse, etc.

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #2 on: <05-07-11/0824:33> »
I don't see why it wouldn't work. In fact, my face has it herself.
Commlink with R3 could get Empathy Soft R5+Opti2. Avail 12.
Commlink with R4 could get Empathy Soft R5+Opti1. Avail 11.

That said, my face doesn't use the empathy software unless the GM decides to use it himself. I don't like it at all, it's ridiculously OP. Then again, if I got suckered into being the face for the 16th time in a row, then I probably would use it and spend the actual BP making something I want to play.

Edit: Oops. I thought you were thinking about the "Optimized" Program Option, allowing a commlink to run Software above its normal rating limit.
I don't see why what you described wouldn't work...  but get the stuff I mentioned too, if you want to use that munchkiny thing.
« Last Edit: <05-07-11/0827:51> by Xzylvador »

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <05-07-11/1056:03> »
In my opinion, no.

Empathy adds a dice pool bonus to the character's Social skill tests.

The character isn't strictly making a test using the Empathy program as they would be with Attack, Armor, Browse, etc.
Im with Maelstrom on this, you can't get the optimization bonus to your social dicepools becouse the software isn't used on those tests.
I would give you that +1 dice if you used the software to make a judge intention test.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <05-07-11/2004:14> »
Empathy software is run on sensors, not a commlink, so optimizing a commlink would not really affect it, nor any other kind of sensor software.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <05-08-11/0530:54> »
Empathy software is run on sensors, not a commlink, so optimizing a commlink would not really affect it, nor any other kind of sensor software.
Where exactly are you getting this from?

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <05-08-11/0750:26> »
The first part of your first quote.  It's software used with sensors.  So personally, I don't think you could use commlink optimization with it, any more than you could use optimization to improve a medkit's software.  Of course, it is pretty open to interpretation, but for stuff like this, I tend to pick the more stringent/limiting interpretation.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <05-08-11/1354:07> »
The first part of your first quote.  It's software used with sensors.
yes sensor softwares are used with sensors, but as far as i can tell they're still run in your commlink, just like other types of software.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #8 on: <05-08-11/2230:24> »
Remember that a standard Commlink comes with microphone and camera.

-k