NEWS

Sensor Packages

• 4 Replies

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« on: <04-16-11/0535:10> »
I'm totally lost in the rules for Sensors.
In one of the fluff stories, a rigger uses a Microcrawler drone (I'm assuming the Shiawase Kanmushi) to watch and listen in on a conversation.
Problem is, according to the SR4A  (P334) Sensor Packages, a microdrone wouldn't even have the capacity to fit both a camera and a microphone. (1 slot. Camera takes 1 slot, as does a mic.)
Sure it could be modded, but then I'd find it really weird that a drone would be sold without those sensors by default.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #1 on: <04-16-11/0605:50> »
The sensor rules are some of the worst.  :(
The rating 1 micro version of a microphone or camera shouldn't take up any capacity slots.

If you drop a rating 6 camera into a minidrone it doesn't suddenly take up more than one capacity slot.
It's not like capacity is suddenly relative.
micro gets 1 slot
mini gets 3 slots.

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #2 on: <04-16-11/0741:11> »
So, houserule of R1 Camera and Microphone don't take capacity, Micro-sized has 1 slot for sensor upgrade, Mini 3 slots, etc...?

But if so, can't a R1 camera/microphone be upgraded with vision/audio enhancement 3, image magnification etc? Essentially still giving a R4 camera and microphone?

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #3 on: <04-16-11/1012:44> »
Shadowrun cameras include microphones:
Quote from: SR4A page 332
Camera: The most common sensor, cameras can capture still
photos, video, or trideo (including sound). Cameras may also be upgraded
with vision enhancements (p. 333). Micro versions are available
at Rating 1 (Capacity 1) only.

The separate microphone is for situations where you would for some reason need a microphone but no camera. Or perhaps where you want to put in Audio Enhancements, as some GMs might rule that the embedded microphone in cameras can't accept such modifications.

-k

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #4 on: <04-16-11/1826:49> »
But if so, can't a R1 camera/microphone be upgraded with vision/audio enhancement 3, image magnification etc? Essentially still giving a R4 camera and microphone?

Nope.  "The rating of such devices equals the number of enhancements they can be fitted with."  So, a R1 camera could have one upgrade.  Image enhancement R3 seems like the clear winner though.