NEWS

6e Basic Set Sword

• 52 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #30 on: <06-26-19/1415:56> »
Incidentally, in my campaign, with the old skill system of SR4 and SR5, 'that NPC used a sword well but you know for a fact he only uses clubs and fists' once was a big hint that said mundane NPC was pulling Spirit shenanigans somehow.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #31 on: <06-26-19/1420:16> »
I don't know for sure but I'd hazard a guess that's supposed to be Unarmed Attack Rating.
I also guessed unarmed attack rating, do we know how it's calculated? It's clearly not Agi+Unarmed, it's clearly not Str+Unarmed, and it's also not Str+Agi+Unarmed. It could be Agi+Unarmed x str or the reverse.
« Last Edit: <06-26-19/1425:35> by Marcus »
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #32 on: <06-26-19/1427:12> »
Why use a sword in 5e? The most common answer was Weapon Foci. You couldn't make a gun weapon focus. Are weapon foci a thing in 6e?
Thinking
com
speaking

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #33 on: <06-26-19/1427:24> »
I don't know for sure but I'd hazard a guess that's supposed to be Unarmed Attack Rating.
I also guessed unarmed attack rating, do we know how it's calculated? It's clearly not Agi+Unarmed, it's clearly not Str+Unarmed, and it's also not Str+Agi+Unarmed. It could be Agi+Unarmed x str or the reverse.

Str+ Rea
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <06-26-19/1428:26> »

Str+ Rea

Interesting. I assume that's a defense rating then?
Thinking
com
speaking

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #35 on: <06-26-19/1437:01> »
no, that's the attack rating ... defense is still Body+Armor
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #36 on: <06-26-19/1440:03> »
Why use a sword in 5e? The most common answer was Weapon Foci. You couldn't make a gun weapon focus. Are weapon foci a thing in 6e?

Or you were strong enough it was bad ass. Unless cyber or magic enhances melee damage I can’t see anyone using one this edition.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #37 on: <06-26-19/1515:22> »

Or you were strong enough it was bad ass. Unless cyber or magic enhances melee damage I can’t see anyone using one this edition.

Style.  RPees.  Pixie.  Reach (if that is still a thing).  Weapon Focus for more attack dice (if Weapon Foci work like previous editions).  Physical damage instead of Stun.  Strength dump stat, but don't want a monowhip.  Punching Fire Spirits really hurts.  Specialization / Focus /Whatever the 6th edition thing is called doesn't work for Unarmed much like it didn't in 5th. 

Mostly RPees. 

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #38 on: <06-26-19/1522:14> »
Well didn’t see that coming. Nice to be surprised.
Thinking
com
speaking

Moonshine Fox

• Omae
  • Proudly serving our dragon overlords
« Reply #39 on: <06-26-19/1705:31> »
The card for the sword Has a DV of 3P and an AV of 9. The Predator that Rude gets a DV of 4P and AV of 9 at close. Why would Rude ever use the sword beside RP?

why would you have used a sword over the predator in earlier editions?
only book I have currently available to check is 5E ... assuming a strength of 5 or less the sword is less accurate and does the same damage or less

Same with 3rd. Katanas and swords are less concealable then a Predator III, and have higher cost and avaliability. You need a Str 6 with a katana, and Str 7 with a sword to match the damage of the Predator.

AKA, don't bring a sword to a gun fight. Bring it to look bad-ass when meeting the Yakuza!

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #40 on: <06-26-19/1710:18> »

Style.  RPees.  Pixie.  Reach (if that is still a thing).  Weapon Focus for more attack dice (if Weapon Foci work like previous editions).  Physical damage instead of Stun.  Strength dump stat, but don't want a monowhip.  Punching Fire Spirits really hurts.  Specialization / Focus /Whatever the 6th edition thing is called doesn't work for Unarmed much like it didn't in 5th. 

Mostly RPees.

Eh Spirit armor is really strong again right? So if weapon foci still by pass magic hardened armor and still add dice and assuming  Adept powers are liked they used to be I don't see why folk wouldn't. Dump str, jack body to max, get your weapon focus katana out, max adept initiative, it's a classic build. No reason in the 6e idiom that's been discussed so far it shouldn't work. 
Thinking
com
speaking

TheWizurd

• Newb
« Reply #41 on: <06-28-19/1058:16> »

6 is a relatively low AR. Which it should be for the Rigger character. Average DR in box set seems to be 7.

From box set it play, it does seem that there is no more standing out in the open and exchanging fire, however. You should always spend a minor action on "find cover". The mage has a lower initiative and he was caught out in the open for the first round and was obliterated. He would have died, not unconscious, but died in the first round, if I hadn't forbid it. We were doing literal Battle Royale.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #42 on: <06-28-19/1159:12> »
The card for the sword Has a DV of 3P and an AV of 9. The Predator that Rude gets a DV of 4P and AV of 9 at close. Why would Rude ever use the sword beside RP?

only book I have currently available to check is 5E ... assuming a strength of 5 or less the sword is less accurate and does the same damage or less

Same with 3rd. Katanas and swords are less concealable then a Predator III, and have higher cost and avaliability. You need a Str 6 with a katana, and Str 7 with a sword to match the damage of the Predator.

AKA, don't bring a sword to a gun fight. Bring it to look bad-ass when meeting the Yakuza!

Though if you had a 9 strength it was hitting for 12m. Depending on edition you might have dikote to make it S damage. At that point it’s cool and effective.

Which imo works. Guns generally should be better but for superhuman characters them getting more bang out if melee also works. From what we’ve seen so far even people superhumanly strong are less effective with a sword than a heavy pistol. I don’t consider that a good thing.

People say don’t bring a sword to a gun fight and for normal people that’s valid. Though Superman would be ridiculously less effective with a pistol. While SR characters aren’t on that scale of superhuman they are still superhuman they move faster, close distances in a blink of an eye and can hit harder than most guns. If built for it melee should be incredibly deadly. When you can run 60mph and kick bank vault doors off their hinges how effective melee is for you is on a slightly different scale than our reality. Sure at long ranged none of that matters but in a office complex you probably aren’t at long ranges very often.

TheWizurd

• Newb
« Reply #43 on: <06-28-19/1214:19> »

Though if you had a 9 strength it was hitting for 12m. Depending on edition you might have dikote to make it S damage. At that point it’s cool and effective.

Which imo works. Guns generally should be better but for superhuman characters them getting more bang out if melee also works. From what we’ve seen so far even people superhumanly strong are less effective with a sword than a heavy pistol. I don’t consider that a good thing.

People say don’t bring a sword to a gun fight and for normal people that’s valid. Though Superman would be ridiculously less effective with a pistol. While SR characters aren’t on that scale of superhuman they are still superhuman they move faster, close distances in a blink of an eye and can hit harder than most guns. If built for it melee should be incredibly deadly. When you can run 60mph and kick bank vault doors off their hinges how effective melee is for you is on a slightly different scale than our reality. Sure at long ranged none of that matters but in a office complex you probably aren’t at long ranges very often.

Most of us don't have enough to make that call. Those that have seen the full book hint that there are rules in place that make it a viable option. We will know at GenCon. In the basic set, it isn't a viable option.

Moonshine Fox

• Omae
  • Proudly serving our dragon overlords
« Reply #44 on: <06-28-19/1229:50> »
 Twice in the last few days, people who can’t speak fully due to NDA have said that in the full rules strength is not a dump stat for melee characters. To what extent that it matters we will have to wait-and-see.