NEWS

Barrier foam specifics and alternate uses.

• 52 Replies

KoD

• Newb
« on: <12-21-12/0200:51> »
I was kicking around a design for a demo expert, so I decided to refresh my memory  on the advanced explosives rules from arsenal. During this time it occured to me that barrier foam would be great for tamping shaped charges.

What I dont know however, is the size of one canister of barrier foam, is it like a can of hairspray, or a BBQ gas bottle? I do remember reading that one 'canister' contained a massive amount of the stuff, so a big ass gas bottle sounds plauseable, but its also only 30 nuyen, an empty gas bottle isnt exactly cheep, so 30 for it and the barrier foam sounds like a less than profitable product. Less than profitable products dont survive in a setting run by megacorps.

Aside from that one question, what other innovative ideas do you all have for barrier foam useage?

redwolf

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <12-21-12/0204:58> »
you mean except making a boat
yes i'm red and it's not blood, and no i'm no comy i'm just red, so are you going for that pis' or going away!!!

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #2 on: <12-21-12/0210:49> »
Trap for when you don't want to be followed, or need to boobytrap a vehicle you're leaving behind, and collateral damage is a bad idea. Proceed as follows:

1) Place canister of barrier foam inside cab of vehicle.
2) Set it so that it goes off either on a wireless signal or a tripwire. If you're feeling nasty, give it a few seconds delay so people can get in the vehicle before it goes off.
3) Watch as barrier foam fills cab of vehicle, effectively making it unusable, and potentially trapping people inside.

Also works well as a prank.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Valashar

• Omae
  • I'm always angry, but I usually hide it well.
« Reply #3 on: <12-21-12/0300:28> »
And then there's always use as crash protection... 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnyhkBU1yaw
Shadowrun Missions: GenCon 2013

We groped the cat, and tazed the baby.

Caradoc

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <12-21-12/0755:32> »
You could spray it on the floor/ground where you know there are pressure sensors or anti-personnel mines. If you can reduce the mass detected by the sensor to below the arming level by distributing your weight over a larger area, you could walk across a zone without triggering the devices. I imagine a 1 meter wide strip using a thin layer of barrier foam would be fine and hey, if you did trigger a mine, the foam would give you some protection! j/k

You could spray a series of thin lines of foam on a sheer wall/structure to use as foot and hand holds/supports to climb. The foam dries pretty damn fast and if it can be used to restrain people, I'm sure it can hold their weight as well. I guess its just a question of how well it bonds to the wall when you put your weight on it.

EDIT: Corrected spelling in bold.
« Last Edit: <12-21-12/0847:11> by Caradoc »

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #5 on: <12-21-12/0803:06> »
You could spray it on the floor/ground where you know there are pressure sensors or anti-personnel mines. If you can reduce the mass detected by the sensor to below the arming level by distibuting your weight over a larger area, you could walk across a zone without triggering the devices. I imagine a 1 meter wide strip using a thin layer of barrier foam would be fine and hey, if you did trigger a mine, the foam would give you some protection! j/k

You could spray a series of thin lines of foam on a sheer wall/structure to use as foot and hand holds/supports to climb. The foam dries pretty damn fast and if it can be used to restrain people, I'm sure it can hold their weight as well. I guess its just a question of how well it bonds to the wall when you put your weight on it.

When in doubt, mix 1:1 with a Rating 6 Adhesive. ;)
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

White_Knight

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <12-22-12/0120:57> »
It came up in another thread to use it as a quick and dirty first aid solution, creating instant casts and neck braces for example

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #7 on: <12-22-12/0319:00> »
It is excellent as a suppository.

-k

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <12-22-12/0401:40> »
I kinda prefer freezefoam for some of these. ::)

Orvich

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <12-22-12/1334:12> »
I like throwing down a slick grenade, or a microwire snare grenade, and then trying to get the barrier foam going off on a wall just above that slick spot. You effectively have zero chance to get out from under the foam, as you're slipping around on the slimy floor, covering yourself in more drying barrier foam in the process. Load a grenade launcher with alternating grenades, and you have a great non-lethal crowd control solution.

Redmercury

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <12-22-12/1416:19> »
Flash grenades and barrier foam.

Here's that thread White Knight http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?topic=8953.msg158594#msg158594

And then there's always use as crash protection... 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnyhkBU1yaw
Aaand now I have to watch the whole thing.
« Last Edit: <12-22-12/1421:42> by Redmercury »

Valashar

• Omae
  • I'm always angry, but I usually hide it well.
« Reply #11 on: <12-22-12/1742:20> »
Yeah... as soon as I made that post, I had to put it in the player myself.
Shadowrun Missions: GenCon 2013

We groped the cat, and tazed the baby.

Inconnu

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <12-22-12/1743:43> »
Fill someone's orfices with it during combat. Quick and dirty.

KoD

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <12-22-12/2122:44> »
Huh, never considered the splint trick, works brilliantly as a cover story for having the stuff as well if you tuck the applicator in a medkit.

Of course, the weight issue is still a thing, after rechecking War!, barrier foam canisters are indeed handheld, and can create 10000000 cubic centimeters of barrier foam. to put that in perspective, a cubic centimeter of air weighs about 1.2 grams, 10 million times that is 12000 kilograms, so unless barrier foam weighs less than air, that handheld canister is impossible to lift.

Caradoc

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <12-22-12/2132:26> »
Huh, never considered the splint trick, works brilliantly as a cover story for having the stuff as well if you tuck the applicator in a medkit.

Of course, the weight issue is still a thing, after rechecking War!, barrier foam canisters are indeed handheld, and can create 10000000 cubic centimeters of barrier foam. to put that in perspective, a cubic centimeter of air weighs about 1.2 grams, 10 million times that is 12000 kilograms, so unless barrier foam weighs less than air, that handheld canister is impossible to lift.

Think of a canister being like a can of shaving cream. It weighs less than 1 kg and the resulting foam fills a reasonably large size and is mostly air that shouldn't be part of your calculation of total mass. Think of barrier foam as being similar to polystyrene.