NEWS

SMGs? OMG, why use them?

• 52 Replies

Quatar

• Omae
« on: <01-30-14/0426:02> »
Ok, silly title, I apologize ;)

But I'm looking through the weapon list to decide what weapon I'll screw onto my drone as a Rigger, and I'm wondering why I'd want to use an SMG instead of an Assault Rifle. Or why anyone ever would. Or a Machine Pistol for that matter

They use the same skill.
Even the best SMG has lower damage than the worst AR.
No SMG has AP, all AR have -2
They have 4 or 5 base-accuracy, same as most AR.

The ONE reason I could see people use a SMG for is money. Some SMG come with Smartgun System and Gas Vent 2, and still cost less than the AK 97. (I'm ignoring the Cold M23 for now)
But I can upgrade the AK-97 with a smartlink and Gas Vent 3 for 800 bucks, 1750 total. That's still very much in the affordable range.

So ok, if I wanted to use my Drone solely for Suppressive Fire, it would probably be better to use an SMG. But then I don't need the Gas Vent system, and the AK-97 is only 1150, and if I ever use it to actually hit someone, I'll do proper damage.

I just dunno. I'm missing something obvious, or are SMGs and Machine Pistols mostly in there so a GM can equip a couple gangbangers?

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-30-14/0428:24> »
Concealability.  You can't just go walking around with an Assault Rifle, well...  Damn near ever.  Obvious weapons are a very, very serious problem in a lot of circumstances.

For drones, that's less of a thing, but still.
« Last Edit: <01-30-14/0430:15> by RHat »
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Quatar

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <01-30-14/0434:57> »
Ah that was quick. Thank you
See, I knew, I'd missed something obvious.

Kanly

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <01-30-14/0441:13> »
KE usually doesn't tho, so keep those AR's well hidden! :D

There's more to weapons than damage and really every weapon has it's use in the game. You can conceal SMG's in public, but you might not be able to get them into higher places where you'll be patted down - but they usually will let Light Pistols in, maybe even Heavies (if it's a maffia meet or sg less official).

Also Range is important too - think Sniper Rifles and Machine Guns. Killing or Suppressing from far can be a very powerful tool.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <01-30-14/0451:34> »
Also, someone who only takes a single cyberarm would want a one-handed weapon.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

redwolf

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <01-30-14/0633:19> »
also smg is shorter so irl it is beter for cqc when you cut  a corner , a carabin is allmost as good but the permit irc is higer
yes i'm red and it's not blood, and no i'm no comy i'm just red, so are you going for that pis' or going away!!!

Quatar

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <01-30-14/0722:49> »
I've no idea what cqc means

Also most Assault Rifles, or well at least some of them, are only 4R, so having the right fake permits for them shouldn't be such an issue, right?

Also, considering the Weapon Mount for a drone is already highly illegal (8F) I don't know if it makes a huge difference then if you got an Ingram Smartgun X or AK-97 attached to it. Both are probably gonna raise eyebrows.

Kanly

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <01-30-14/0806:34> »
CQC means close quarters combat. Buildings, some urban enviroments etc.

The issue isn't legality, it's visibility and size. In a lot of situations you're trying to smuggle your hardware in, not pass a police inspection (and in a lot neighbourhoods, just raising suspicion is enough, it won't matter if you had the "right" papers. You're flagged as suspicious so kiss your stakeout or kidnapping or whatever goodbye.

Weapon Mounts are illegal, yes. If anything with weapon mounts comes into play you're already doing highly illegal activities.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #8 on: <01-30-14/0947:35> »
One reason that the adept in my party uses SMGs is for dual-wielding.  She gets 18 dice in her pool, potentially boosted with Attribute Boost, and splits the pool.  When paired with APDS ammo, it makes for a nasty attack against most enemies.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #9 on: <01-30-14/1012:02> »
Drones that already have weapon mounts aren't always illegal though, so for those a Restricted gun is useful.

Namikaze, don't forget dual-wielding without dual-firing. :) Fire one, then the other, repeat, for combining RC.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #10 on: <01-30-14/1105:11> »
Namikaze, don't forget dual-wielding without dual-firing. :) Fire one, then the other, repeat, for combining RC.

Sssh!  Our adept player might hear you and get a bright idea.  :)
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

samoth

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <01-30-14/1314:53> »
The Steyr TMP machine pistol is as good or better than all but the Ingram X SMG and the forbidden Praetor.  There is no reason aside from willingly choosing an inferior product to not use the Steyr over every SMG except the Ingram.

The Ingram is of course inferior to even the worst ARs so there's not much point in using IT, since a primary Assault Skill loadout can be an AR and an MP as a backup with close and long range covered and the ability to shove the MP into a concealed holster.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <01-30-14/1353:19> »
Not sure why you draw that conclusion. The Praetor, HK-227 and SCK have better Accuracy than the Steyr, and the Praetor, Ingram and SCK have better damage. Also, I'm not sure what the point of a concealed holster for one firearm is if you're also carrying an assault rifle.

samoth

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <01-30-14/1434:55> »
4 (6) accuracy with a smartlink should be enough unless you are throwing 18+ die in your Automatics test.

SCK is not an option for me currently since it lacks Full Auto, which is an extremely good option for an automatic.  The only SMGs with 8 damage that have full auto are the Ingram and the Praetor, and the Praetor is a Forbidden item.

The point of the concealed holster is that you can carry the MP around normally, totally negating the need for Pistols skill.  You can put it in a Quick-Draw holster for runs if you'd prefer.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <01-30-14/1525:18> »
4 (6) accuracy with a smartlink should be enough unless you are throwing 18+ die in your Automatics test.
That's not how probability works. At 14 dice, you miss out on 0.15 average hits with Accuracy 6 versus 7 (and 0.20 average hits versus 8): with 16 it becomes 0.27 and 0.39, with 18 it's 0.40 and 0.62.

SCK is not an option for me currently since it lacks Full Auto, which is an extremely good option for an automatic.  The only SMGs with 8 damage that have full auto are the Ingram and the Praetor, and the Praetor is a Forbidden item.
"Not an option for me" and "no reason to use it" are two entirely different things.
« Last Edit: <01-30-14/1629:35> by ZeConster »