NEWS

Channeling spirit types [6e]

• 0 Replies

autXautY

• Newb
« on: <07-29-21/1749:50> »
I'm trying to think though the advantages of different spirit types for channeling:

When channeling, you gain:
   Dual natured (Regardless of type)
   Any powers with duration “always” (this is the big differentiator)
   The ability to use other powers at the cost of a service, except for materialization and engulf (most of these effects can be substituted by summoning a second spirit, if you need more spirits than you can summon it might make sense to pick based on these)
   +Force/2 to all physical attributes lower than theirs (the type only matters if it pushes a physical attribute above/below yours, so keep track of if this is the case)
   Ignore Force points of wound modifiers (regardless of type)

The always-duration abilities I saw are Energy Aura (Fire gets for free, Air and Water can take), and Enhanced Senses (Beast and Kin get 2-3 for free, Guidance and Task can get up to 5).
Guardian arguably gets a skill specialization in close combat, Task arguably get a skill and can get more. Guidance's Shadow Cloak isn't always-on, but since it effects the spirit instead of a target it can't be replaced with summoning. Beast's Natural Weapons and Venom are instant, but could make for a very nice melee attack if you have the skills+attributes.
I'd say probably Fire is best if you want to get into close combat, but Air and Water can substitute just fine, and task is best for utility if you can use it for free skills.

Plant gets honorable mention because I think that Channeling a Plant Great Form Spirit gets you Regeneration