NEWS

The Krime Katalog

• 56 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #15 on: <08-23-20/1444:56> »
Due to NDA (as I understand it), I cannot comment on what's going on with the Carpet/Calliope.  But there are changes to it coming.

I tried to find the original post about this, but couldn't for whatever reason.  Sorry about that.

Thank you all for taking time to post about the book!   ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #16 on: <08-23-20/1455:14> »
Due to NDA (as I understand it), I cannot comment on what's going on with the Carpet/Calliope.  But there are changes to it coming.

I tried to find the original post about this, but couldn't for whatever reason.  Sorry about that.

No need to apologize man. I'll be interested to see the changes when they come out.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <08-23-20/1531:10> »

Personal feedback from being in a game where Carpet was used by a player,
was fun. Balanced? Probably not. Fun? Absolutely!

Glad it got added. Created a neat scenario that neutralized a large portion of a threat, but also destroyed part of our retrieval target, reducing our payday. Personally glad it's a thing.

0B

• Chummer
  • Be seeing you
« Reply #18 on: <08-25-20/1345:09> »
Based on estimated costs of art and the wordcount, Krime Katalog currently has the most "bang for its buck" in digital sales among all Shadowrun products, and is only beat out by House Arano among all CGL products. Only counting DTRPG sales, of course, physical books may beat out Krime Katalog and I don't have a lot of data on Battletech books. Columns R-S detail the best case and worst case estimates.

Krime Katalog makes between $65 - $220 per thousand words with moderate (?) confidence. Next highest "bang for buck" SR product is Free Seattle, making between $30 - $130 per thousand words.

Formula: (Estimated sales - Estimated costs / word count * 1000).

Assumptions: Pay was between 0.005 and 0.03 cents per word. If CanRay got something closet to 0.07 - 0.10 cents per word, this is adjusted. Cost of art was between $10 - $25 each.

This does not include editing/layout, since I am unsure if that's salaried or freelance at CGL. Even if my estimates are off (Suppose CGL does a standard rate of 0.05 cents per word, or does freelance layout at $X per page), the adjustments will be consistent across the board.

So from a cold, money-based standpoint, Krime Katalog is very successful. Also, I'm guessing you can't say, but if you seriously got paid 0.005 cents per word for that you should ask for higher pay next time, your writing is worth a lot more than that.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #19 on: <08-25-20/1403:14> »
When you say 0.005 cents per word, do you mean 0.005 $ = 0.5 cents? Otherwise we're talking 20.000 words for 1 dollar.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #20 on: <08-25-20/1429:01> »
It's not about the money for me.  I know I seem to beg for positive reviews and the like, but that's my mental health eating away at me, and I really shouldn't be near the Internet at those times.  I'm amazed at every paycheque I get.  And worry that I'd get paid TOO MUCH because I'm on Disability and they get pissy if I deposit too much in my bank account, or cash a cheque that's too big.

And, before you suggest other options, not declaring the money is a way to instantly get kicked off of Disability and landing me on the street.  I also have to explain what "Freelance Contract Work" means to every new worker I get (which sometimes can be up to three or four a year!), as they just can't savvy the fact that I don't get a monthly amount for some strange reason.  Or even a yearly amount.

*Cue People Complaining About Me Being A Leach To The Economic System Here*   :'(

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #21 on: <08-25-20/1441:30> »
*Cue People Complaining About Me Being A Leach To The Economic System Here*   :'(

Shit dude, you're not even a blip on the economic radar. Jeff Bezos not paying taxes for his multi-billion dollar corp and other horseshit like that are the economic problems.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #22 on: <08-25-20/1452:03> »
Fuck that. I’m from Europe, where we value social safety nets for the vulnerable. You’re not doing anything wrong.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #23 on: <08-25-20/1545:21> »
Thanks folks.  Wish other places I end up were as supportive.

Back to Krime, however...  How about this, what do you think Kane and Many-Name's "Cop Eater" cars have had added to them to be the horror of Security Forces everywhere?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <08-25-20/1551:59> »

Shit dude, you're not even a blip on the economic radar. Jeff Bezos not paying taxes for his multi-billion dollar corp and other horseshit like that are the economic problems.

Yeah, for every millionaire complaining about taxes there are dozen accountants working to make sure they don't actually pay any taxes. 

We didn't crawl out of the caves and into a civilized society by leaving everyone to fend for themselves.  Kind of the whole point of civilization is civility.     

0B

• Chummer
  • Be seeing you
« Reply #25 on: <08-25-20/1616:56> »
When you say 0.005 cents per word, do you mean 0.005 $ = 0.5 cents? Otherwise we're talking 20.000 words for 1 dollar.

Half a cent per word, or $0.005 USD. This is a representation across companies. There's not a lot of hard data on it. Anecdotally, I've heard a freelancer for CGL say they made $0.03 per word, and a freelancer for modern FASA say they made $0.005 per word.

It's not about the money for me.  I know I seem to beg for positive reviews and the like, but that's my mental health eating away at me, and I really shouldn't be near the Internet at those times.  I'm amazed at every paycheque I get.  And worry that I'd get paid TOO MUCH because I'm on Disability and they get pissy if I deposit too much in my bank account, or cash a cheque that's too big.

And, before you suggest other options, not declaring the money is a way to instantly get kicked off of Disability and landing me on the street.  I also have to explain what "Freelance Contract Work" means to every new worker I get (which sometimes can be up to three or four a year!), as they just can't savvy the fact that I don't get a monthly amount for some strange reason.  Or even a yearly amount.

Hey, no worries! My point is just that you should be proud of your work because it's one of the best things published by CGL at the moment.

Thanks folks.  Wish other places I end up were as supportive.

Back to Krime, however...  How about this, what do you think Kane and Many-Name's "Cop Eater" cars have had added to them to be the horror of Security Forces everywhere?

I pictured them like this, but bigger. I never pictured MoMN as a car dude, but I would get one like that...

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #26 on: <08-26-20/1351:08> »
The Prowler cop car is a full-sized, troll-sized sedan that starts out with a bulldozer blade on the front at the very least.

As for Many-Names turning into a car guy, maybe he was just waiting for the right car?   ;D  Also, I like the idea that the characters are less than the two-dimensional people they sometimes come to be.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

0B

• Chummer
  • Be seeing you
« Reply #27 on: <08-26-20/1442:57> »
The Prowler cop car is a full-sized, troll-sized sedan that starts out with a bulldozer blade on the front at the very least.

As for Many-Names turning into a car guy, maybe he was just waiting for the right car?   ;D  Also, I like the idea that the characters are less than the two-dimensional people they sometimes come to be.

Spot on. Sometimes, the jackpointers start to feel like they're writing a book report, rather than posting on a chat board.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #28 on: <08-26-20/1820:29> »
Spot on. Sometimes, the jackpointers start to feel like they're writing a book report, rather than posting on a chat board.
My first book, Safehouses, was /dev/grrl being given a homework assignment by FastJack.

He made her go out and tag transit vehicles (or, alternatively, write lines) when her penmanship wasn't up to snuff for his old man cybereyes.   ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

cuidaBeja

• Newb
« Reply #29 on: <12-08-20/1509:50> »
Hey I'm really late with my input on this, but it's by far my favorite supplement in 6e. I love the in-universe ad copy, and the weaponry is the most fun I've seen in any of the books so far. Most of them are not as powerful as . . . say the rEVO Arms guns tend to be, but they're perfect in both price and threat for gangers that the players might face, while also being great for troll characters who aren't supposed to be the reliable damage that carries a serious team.

My only criticisms stem from the fact that 6e's weapon . . . table . . . design isn't really designed for use without more categorization, since there's no space for how many hands a weapon takes and how concealable they are. Once again though, these are system concerns and not book concerns.

My one realistic wish is a set of tables that clarify what's legal where. Presumably most of these Krime guns are on consumer markets in the CAS, but the fact that they're for the most part illegal in Seattle makes me want to see exactly where the legal lines are drawn in CAS or Havana or whatever. The sort of narrow stuff that's more of a table than a whole Shadows in Focus book.
Shadowrun may not be the dystopia we want but we should be careful that it's not the one we get . . .