NEWS

[5eOoC] 2075/6: Stormy Waters [Persistent World; recruitment always open]

• 5046 Replies

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #180 on: <09-16-14/1755:32> »
Think of thermo as a miniature FLIR (watch an Apache gun cam vid) or one of the handheld thermographic cameras. Lowlight is basically nightvision. They're two different animals.
« Last Edit: <09-16-14/1800:00> by Lusis »
SpeechThought Matrix/E-mail/Texting

8-bit

« Reply #181 on: <09-16-14/1901:25> »
@CT

I'd say fuel for the Zep isn't that much of an issue, it'll have fuel cells and a recharging battery for more or less continuous (slow) flight.  It's a big gas bag though so not that bullet resistant!  Visibilty as mentioned is poor and getting worse...treat as light smoke around the convoy going to heavy about 100m out and max normal visibility is probably 200m.  Thermal is a bit screwy too because of the ash (although my physics might be a bit dubious on that one so feel free to set me straight if that sounds like bollocks!)

Any breeze? Right now I'm seeing a -3 penalty without range penalties due to Thermographic Vision, although not sure about the ash. To me, ash is fairly cool, it's main problem is that is clogs the air space and makes it hard to breath. It's mainly a matter of where the ash comes from. If it's just falling from the upper atmosphere, it's about the same temperature as the atmosphere (just a bit of quick research, may not be 100% true all the time). Still thinking that being up in the zeppelin is bad idea if it gets shot up and literally explodes while I'm next to it.

On the Low-light and Thermographic Vision argument, I always thought of them as two separate types of vision that you had to switch between. Like, you could have low-light all the time, but when you want to see in the infrared spectrum you had to conciously switch to it.

Kind of fun seeing Torrent's response. Boy did I get backhanded, and Ghost knows it. Still wouldn't have played that any other way; I'm not gonna do something that my character would never do simply to metagame.

I'll have an IC post up soon.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #182 on: <09-16-14/1913:17> »
@CT
Still thinking that being up in the zeppelin is bad idea if it gets shot up and literally explodes while I'm next to it.
I can't imagine anyone would be using hydrogen over helium for a zeppelin unless they're crazy-crazy. (Note: A circus full of mysterious weirdos may be crazy-crazy).
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

8-bit

« Reply #183 on: <09-16-14/1944:25> »
@CT
Still thinking that being up in the zeppelin is bad idea if it gets shot up and literally explodes while I'm next to it.
I can't imagine anyone would be using hydrogen over helium for a zeppelin unless they're crazy-crazy. (Note: A circus full of mysterious weirdos may be crazy-crazy).

(Note: A circus full of mysterious weirdos may be crazy-crazy). - Copied and pasted for emphasis. Not sure if I can trust the circus that much to be honest.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #184 on: <09-16-14/2006:46> »
Think of thermo as a miniature FLIR (watch an Apache gun cam vid) or one of the handheld thermographic cameras. Lowlight is basically nightvision. They're two different animals.
While I agree they are two different animals, I would argue (probably incorrectly) that they could stack.  A single sensor (goggles/helmet vision mods/cyberware/meta) has both enhancements.  So the single optic is getting the full thermo image, converting that to "visible light spectrum" which is dim/partial, and then the lowlight kicks in to enhance that image providing full light.
Feel like I'm rules lawyering over a non-issue here, especially as it's rarely relevant given the number of various modifiers usually encountered.  Don't want to derail the thread too much ;) 
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

8-bit

« Reply #185 on: <09-16-14/2151:29> »
@Zweiblumen

I would have thought that it was something that needed to be toggled? Thermographic vision basically shows you heat signatures, which wipes out all other (normal vision) color, since you are now only seeing heat. While it's true that it is converting it to the visible light spectrum, hot things show up as red, cold things as blue; the only real way to distinguish between objects are their relative heat signatures (for example, the door might be 1-2 degrees cooler than the wall so it looks just slightly darker). Just my 2 cents.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #186 on: <09-16-14/2304:53> »
@CT

I always find the sidebar chatter to be pretty entertaining in a PbP, as long as no one is too married to their position and everyone recognizes that the GM has the ultimate say. With that put out there, I could see a technological device fusing the various sensor feeds into one gestalt view. At the same time, I try not to think too hard about it because then I start trying to figure out how a troll or dwarf would turn their natural thermographic vision off or if there are settings for optical devices to adjust for whether the user has naturally augmented vision.
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #187 on: <09-16-14/2308:01> »
@8-bit : Yeah, the toggle makes sense to me.  As I said, just talking sideways here.

@JackVII : I agree about sidebar, and about too many trips down the rabbit hole(s) :)

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #188 on: <09-17-14/1247:52> »
@CT
Getting back to the game a bit...
@Aria Does BT feel like he'd have the time to register a Level 4 sprite (4 hours)?  If not no biggie, I'll just compile it when the fecal matter hits the oscilating air mover.

8-bit

« Reply #189 on: <09-17-14/1334:58> »
@CT

I feel like Ghost has done pretty much everything he can. He can't set up anything Matrix or Astrally, and I doubt he can set up sensor nets without royally screwing it up. I'll just have him sort of jog a perimeter around the train in the meantime, until someone comes up with something that he can do. Also, I think I've pretty much decided to not be in the zeppelin. I don't trust it being able to stay in the air if any enemies get the idea that I'm sitting in it.

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #190 on: <09-17-14/1823:44> »
I always find the sidebar chatter to be pretty entertaining in a PbP, as long as no one is too married to their position and everyone recognizes that the GM has the ultimate say. With that put out there, I could see a technological device fusing the various sensor feeds into one gestalt view.
You mean like a heads-up display?

Also, this game looks like a very interesting idea, though I'd have to wait a week due to some unexpected meatspace constraints requiring my time at the moment.

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #191 on: <09-18-14/0819:12> »
I always find the sidebar chatter to be pretty entertaining in a PbP, as long as no one is too married to their position and everyone recognizes that the GM has the ultimate say. With that put out there, I could see a technological device fusing the various sensor feeds into one gestalt view.
You mean like a heads-up display?

Also, this game looks like a very interesting idea, though I'd have to wait a week due to some unexpected meatspace constraints requiring my time at the moment.
I've always assumed (particularly now that AR is a thing...) that you can view the various vision types simultaneously (and dwarfs etc can't turn off their heat vision...), so they are overlayed in semi-transparency and dialled up or down depending on which is most effective.  So thermo gives a heat wash over, ultrasound gives a kind of wireframe mesh over objects and lowlight gives a green tinged view of the world...all over the top of 'normal' vision...so they don't interact as such you can just see all of them.  It'd take some getting used to but I expect it would be fairly normal after a bit.

@Mithlas: Feel free to join the fun whenever you can...

@CT
Getting back to the game a bit...
@Aria Does BT feel like he'd have the time to register a Level 4 sprite (4 hours)?  If not no biggie, I'll just compile it when the fecal matter hits the oscilating air mover.
Well you've got a 10 hour trip ahead so you might as well start right?  Of course the proverbial could hit the fan in the next twenty minutes so...

Any breeze? Right now I'm seeing a -3 penalty without range penalties due to Thermographic Vision, although not sure about the ash. To me, ash is fairly cool, it's main problem is that is clogs the air space and makes it hard to breath. It's mainly a matter of where the ash comes from. If it's just falling from the upper atmosphere, it's about the same temperature as the atmosphere (just a bit of quick research, may not be 100% true all the time). Still thinking that being up in the zeppelin is bad idea if it gets shot up and literally explodes while I'm next to it.
There's a stongish breeze (call it moderate from the environment table) blowing right to left across the convoy (more or less) which is propelling the ash off the Hells Kitchen area, so yes it's cold and that probably wouldn't interfere with infrared waves so ignore the crap earlier about it affecting thermo...  I leave it to you lot to calculate your environment mods, it gives me a headache even thinking about it  ::)
« Last Edit: <09-18-14/0825:32> by Aria »
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #192 on: <09-18-14/0824:11> »
So does Luz notice anything of note among the performers or was that little note to her a hint that I can flesh-out the NPCs a bit?
SpeechThought Matrix/E-mail/Texting

Carathas

• Newb
« Reply #193 on: <09-18-14/0934:54> »
Leaf attempts to summon a Force 6 Spirit of Beasts, rolling Summoning +Magic, 12 Dice and then Willpower+Charisma, 14 dice for the drain test.

Summon = http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4639043/

Drain Resist = http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4639048/

@Aria - you may have missed this early summoning attempt. Can you let me know how it went?

Thanks

Cara

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #194 on: <09-18-14/0958:21> »
@CT

WIL of 9? That's impressive! How are you pulling that one off? I can't read that Chummer file.  :-[
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal