NEWS

Should I buy Conspiracy Theories?

• 9 Replies

AceFace

« on: <06-29-12/1553:42> »
Hello chaps,

I've been sort of playing and following Shadowrun on and off since fairly early on in 3rd ed, but have only just started looking into the larger metaplot (was inspired to finally take the plunge by the lovely shiny 6th World Almanac). Really enjoying a lot of what I've read in other books, the Shadowrun wiki and here in the Secret History forum (SOOOO useful) and have been considering buying Conspiracy Theories because it sounds like fun in that kind of vein. I was hoping some of you lovely knowledgable people might give me some opinions on how versed in the metaplot I would need to be to enjoy/appreciate/understand the information contained in Conspiracy Theories. What other books do you consider must-reads before-hand to appreciate it? Is the book as fun as the premise sounds? Any opinions gladly received.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #1 on: <06-29-12/1559:31> »
If you enjoyed the old Threats books, then you'll love Conspiracy Theories. There's a mix of the things that could be true with things that are completely crazy in there, along with setting info for DeeCee and London.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

AceFace

« Reply #2 on: <06-29-12/1617:08> »
That sounds like exactly the sort of thing I'd enjoy (though I don't really know the old Threats books), but will any of it go over my head due to my relative metaplot newbiness? One of the things that has really annoyed me in the past has been when a book has assumed prior knowledge that I just don't have (Shadows of Europe made me feel like an idiot for not having read the older country sourcebooks for example).

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <06-29-12/1749:27> »
It does not assume prior knowledge, no. However, prior knowledge does increase the enjoyment of it.

My Characters

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <06-29-12/2046:42> »
*siddles up nervously*

"Conspiracy Theories? Good luck. That'sthebook that They don't want youto read.

Did you know that there's analgorythm that lets acorporation predict which wageslaves will be born with the Talent? No, of course you didn't, because They aren't going to tell you that!

Did you know that Ares in infested with the bugs? What do you do when the exterminator's on the other team? Is Knight just a pawn for the Queen?

Is that a Horizon Singularity connection you just accessed for some self defense skillsofts? Are you insane?! Don't you know that'show they re-write your BRAIN?! I bet you even think GaryCline is a real person!"

*Glances at a van at teh end of the street*

"I gotta go. Don't bother looking for the Dwarven Conspiracy chapter ... it doesn't exist. That's why you've never heard of it. Just remember... you buy this book, there's no way back."

*glances at the van*

"They're here! Run!"

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #5 on: <06-29-12/2220:06> »
*Gets out of the van*  "Damnit Bull, I told you it was a left at Albuquerque!  Some Amish Taxi Driver you are!"
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

AceFace

« Reply #6 on: <06-30-12/0535:59> »
Ha! Sounds like I'll be buying then. Any particular recommendations for prior reading which will most increase my understanding/enjoyment?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <06-30-12/0839:00> »
Threats 1 & 2, and Loose Alliances.

My Characters

AceFace

« Reply #8 on: <06-30-12/1731:15> »
Thanks for the input chaps - I'll be buying some more books methinks.

Hermes

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <07-12-12/1846:14> »
Pick up GURPS Illuminati by Nigel Findley while you're at it.