NEWS

Cyber Implant Blades as Weapon Foci?

• 9 Replies

Mordoyh

• Newb
« on: <10-15-10/1509:58> »
I've looked through Street Magic and the Core rules and didn't see anything that spelled out what melée weapons could be used as a weapon focus.  Wondered if there was a rule about using something like implanted cyber melée weapons being used as a weapon focus, I.e. Hand razors, Blade implants or Spurs?

I wouldn't think something like the implanted shock hand would qualify as it is too technological in nature, but a spur is basically a piece of metal.

Anyone got any clarification?

Thanks!

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #1 on: <10-15-10/1521:00> »
The only limitation I could think of is that it would probably have to be enchanted before it's implanted. I couldn't find any rules disallowing it either.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #2 on: <10-15-10/1524:21> »
This come from previous editions and such, but as long as the weapon remains in contact with you as you strike with it, it can be a focus (guns, arrows & grenades cannot be foci).

Mordoyh

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <10-15-10/1529:12> »
This come from previous editions and such, but as long as the weapon remains in contact with you as you strike with it, it can be a focus (guns, arrows & grenades cannot be foci).

What if you only use the arrow for poking your enemies?  Or only use the gun for bludgeoning attacks?  And, and, and continue holding the grenade until it explodes?   ;D

I was thinking a cyber implant blade should be ok, depending on final GM approval of course.

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <10-15-10/1533:19> »
I'm fairly certain, for multiple reasons, that you could have it done even after getting the implant.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #5 on: <10-15-10/1535:19> »
It's just like enchanting the item. You can enchant the gun as a Rating 4 Weapon focus and get the +4 bonuses to hitting them in melee, but you won't see any benefit in shooting.

Hmm... side-trek: Making weapon foci out of items like chopsticks, umbrellas, etc... ;D

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <10-15-10/1536:37> »
Spurs for foci ....thats quite usual
and its fully OK with the Rules

Hough
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #7 on: <10-15-10/1612:11> »
The only caveat is that you'll probably have to pay the price of cyberspurs and the price of a weapon foci.  For cheap stuff (like if you just wanted a weapon focus knife), the cost of the base weapon often gets folded into the focus price -- but for something more exotic (like cyberspurs, or one of my character's monosword) it'd be something the GM will charge money for.

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #8 on: <10-16-10/1608:56> »
Hmm... side-trek: Making weapon foci out of items like chopsticks, umbrellas, etc... ;D
Once had an adept that was a close combat monster (no surprise there), but was also equally crazy-good at being a medic/surgeon. He had a scalpel for a weapon focus. Was good times.
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <10-16-10/1712:01> »
It's just like enchanting the item. You can enchant the gun as a Rating 4 Weapon focus and get the +4 bonuses to hitting them in melee, but you won't see any benefit in shooting.
Just make the gun a force 5(max at chargen) combat spells focus and cast indirect combat spells trought it.
A gun that shoots fireballs is pretty bad-ass ;)
"An it harm none, do what you will"