NEWS

Influence Spell

• 24 Replies

Devil

• Omae
« on: <10-13-10/2249:02> »
Could you use the Influence spell to put someone to sleep instead of zapping their asses with a Stunbolt? Seems like there would be a mental manipulation alternative to just pumping someone full of magic until they pass out.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <10-13-10/2325:35> »
Since Influence is making a strong suggestion for the target to do something, I don't see how it would work. You can't fall asleep by deciding you want to (otherwise, the sleeping pills wouldn't be needed). I think I know where you're getting this from, with the old Hypnotist's "Sleeeeeeep" command when hypnotizing someone, but he's not actually putting the subject into a REM sleep, but it is part of the hypnosis process where he gets the subject to relax to a point of "near-sleep" where the are still conscious, but totally relaxed and open to suggestion. The Influence spell mimics this type of hypnosis, making it quite powerful, but the subject would not slip into unconsciousness. However, you do get them to the relaxed state, able to leave a post-hypnotic suggestion to forget what they saw.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #2 on: <10-13-10/2327:26> »
Hypnosis seems better than convincing a guy that he's decided to lay down on the floor of a hallway to fall asleep while runners are walking past.

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <10-14-10/0052:08> »
So you could use it instead of an alter memory spell? Would they be able to remember it at some point?

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <10-14-10/0421:28> »
Depending on how you word the command you could get close to the effect without having to actually cross the line into effecting the body (which gets messy)

If you gave the indicatino they are feeling very tired and need to lay down and close their eyes for a min, it will have a similar effect. Granted when they try it they will prob get a chance to resist the influence as they prob arnt very tired. But if you used it late at nigth on the nigth guard you might get away with it as he might well be wanting to nip off for a snooze already and you just nudge him into doing it.
"Didnt anyone tell you as security school to geek the mage first?"  "I guess I will just have to educate you with a introduction to my boomstick"

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #5 on: <10-14-10/0843:11> »
Let's put it this way, Influence can get them in a hypnotized "state", but Manabolt/Alter Memory or other spells will do they're functions more efficiently. ALSO, this is all my opinion on how I interpret the spells...

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <10-14-10/1115:58> »
The most I can start with is 12 spells, right?

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #7 on: <10-14-10/1118:05> »
Well, I dont know. Can you take that quality that lets you raise a skill to 7 and RAISE the skill to 7 on char gen? If not, then yes, 12 is maximum then.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <10-14-10/1153:13> »
Oh, I forgot about that. Thanks.

So I could take two more spells and just get a sleep spell.

BTW do I really need increase reflexes or can I do without it for a while?

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #9 on: <10-14-10/1241:36> »
I strongly encourage you to take Increased Reflexes. You can probably get by without it, but you will be hampered in combat. I will say different gms run things differently, if you are in a combat light or low power campaign where you won't be facing characters with multiple IPs then you won't need it as much as a game where you regularly face higher powered opposition.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <10-14-10/1258:41> »
I was hoping I could go another direction. I'm thinking of making a magician that specializes in manipulating various aspects of people. Body, thoughts, senses, emotions.

Mask
Invisibility
Phantasm
Entertainment
Agony
Orgasm
Stun Bolt
Control Emotions
Mob Mood
Control Thoughts
Control Actions
Influence
Alter Memory
Compel Truth

If I can grab control of somebody with multiple IPs then I wont need them myself. Is that a viable strategy? I don't really want to play a combat mage.
« Last Edit: <10-14-10/1301:52> by Joker »

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #11 on: <10-14-10/1305:18> »
I'd swap out Entertainment for Trid Entertainment, it will allow you to fool cameras and such as well as people. Also Mask for Physical Mask for the same reason. It's your character I was just giving my opinion on Increase Reflexes. Any character can be viable unless you gimp them deliberately.
la vida no vale nada

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <10-14-10/1311:07> »
The current concept is that he manipulates people's minds. Thats why he doesn't use trid spells or physical mask.

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #13 on: <10-14-10/1315:34> »
It's the same thing really... you'll still be clouding people's minds you'll just be clouding them more effectively and over longer distance if they happen to be watching said cameras. I just noticed you can get Imp. Invis. too, for the same reasons.

It's not really a much of a stretch thematically. You will still be playing with people's hearts and minds, just better because even electronics (and those watching them) will be fooled.
la vida no vale nada

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <10-14-10/1318:22> »
From my understanding, improved invisibility, instead of affecting people's mind, bends light to create a physical illusion. I'm thinking trid spells are probably similar. I may change and go that direction, but if I do I'll have to change the whole concept.

Those spells are also harder to cast, so its a tough choice.