NEWS

[5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapters II and III

• 2014 Replies

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #600 on: <12-29-14/1408:54> »
I hope no one minds me discussing this OOC here first. It'll be a part of IC once we have a consensus on action, but I figure this sort of detail work makes for boring and onerous IC, so...

agreed.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #601 on: <12-29-14/1416:17> »
IMHO it makes a lot more sense to talk these things out here first, then IC the discussion.  Makes for a better story :P

My instinct is to actually make things more complicated, boobie trap the house, and have something keeping an eye on it.  When the OpForce shows up, call SecForce saying that someone is breaking into this house and then blow the whole thing.  Should create a decent ammount of confusion.  That is assuming that we can set up a remote detonation. A possibility is using my agent to watch and then detonate.  Dunno about the logistics of making that work though.
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #602 on: <12-29-14/1629:40> »
Hashing things out in the OOC thread does keep the IC storyline cleaner. But let's make sure that some of the logic and arguments eventually make their way to the IC thread so that the story can advance smoothly without lurching forward.

Don't forget to chime in on the RV and the elderly couple next door too. Katsina would prefer not to kill them but won't put up a huge degree of resistance if that is the will of the group. If that happens, she would volunteer to do it to ensure that things are done humanely.

@Poindexter
The rulebooks include almost nothing about disarming and what little there is refers to disarming someone else's toys. It seems to me that disarming your own traps would be relatively quick and easy. Shooting from the hip, I would say all three could be disarmed within 10 minutes total, which includes the time to pack things up and have them ready for transport.

If you choose to disarm them, go ahead and roll three (3) Logic+Demolitions tests. For each one you only need 1 hit and no glitches. If you score 0 hits, you can retry that test at -1.

@rednblack
I was thinking that Wolf had materialized in the kitchen because I liked the mental image of a beast spirit chilling out in the middle of the action. I would say that everyone can see Wolf, but if Ohanzee wants Wolf to rest up on the astral than it's his call.

As for the lamb, I made a Morrocan tagine. I've always liked sweet/salty or sweet/savory combinations. The recipe includes dates and pomegranate seeds in addition to plenty of spice and garlic. This is the recipe:
http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015873-lamb-shank-tagine-with-dates
If you have any intentions of making it, let me know. I have made it twice now and can recommend improvements.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #603 on: <12-29-14/1706:04> »
Don't forget to chime in on the RV and the elderly couple next door too. Katsina would prefer not to kill them but won't put up a huge degree of resistance if that is the will of the group. If that happens, she would volunteer to do it to ensure that things are done humanely.

Yes, please.  I'm of a similar mind, though Ace will probably go for killing them as his initial mode of thinking. 

@rednblack
I was thinking that Wolf had materialized in the kitchen because I liked the mental image of a beast spirit chilling out in the middle of the action. I would say that everyone can see Wolf, but if Ohanzee wants Wolf to rest up on the astral than it's his call.

As for the lamb, I made a Morrocan tagine. I've always liked sweet/salty or sweet/savory combinations. The recipe includes dates and pomegranate seeds in addition to plenty of spice and garlic. This is the recipe:
http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015873-lamb-shank-tagine-with-dates
If you have any intentions of making it, let me know. I have made it twice now and can recommend improvements.

That looks fantastic.  I'm usually loathe to use water for any recipes, but is there a specific kind of stock/broth that you would recommend?  I'm open to hear any other recommendations you can make as well.  Haven't had lamb in a long while.  I think I need to remedy that.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #604 on: <12-29-14/1759:32> »
I stand by my pie statement... specifically pumpkin.  The world needs more pumpkin pie.

But that lamb looks damn good.  Hrm, lamb pie!  WIN!

Oh yeah, Tabula Rasa... that thing!

RV: The old Doc would absolutely just kill them.  Not even worry about it, more likely do it gruesomely.  New Doc has no problem stealing the RV, but would probably prefer not to kill the old couple.  He really needs 3-5 hours using edge every hour to properly steal it.  Ace and Chino can get into it and get us on the road and run wirelessly.  That should at least get us out of town.  If we can then hide somewhere for the rest of the evening Doc can make it ours/his (probably Chino's as he's not a clue how to drive the damn thing :P).

So yeah, my vote: blow up the house when they come a knockin' with a call into the police saying something odd is going on there.  physically steal the RV and keep it off the grid until Doc can change ownership on it.

@Tecumseh: Does it work story-wise to have Doc having gotten his research on the Dr done, but isn't able to finish researching the artifact due to all of these distractions?  Thus the failed roll?  Or should we say he didn't even get his research on the Dr done?

8-bit

« Reply #605 on: <12-29-14/1814:55> »
All right, not going to lie, been really lax with PbPs throughout Christmas. Going to read IC and OOC to catch up.

For blowing up the house (or rigging it to blow) ... well, Chino kind of already suggested it, so I'm good there.

On the RV and Old Couple; I figure survival is a little more important at the moment than the comfort of our "neighbors". Granted, it might be safer for us if we don't create attention, but we need a getaway vehicle ASAP. Chino has no problem with killing them (he was planning on us blowing up a nearby house as a distraction), but he would probably recommend that he doesn't do it. Because the way Chino deals with things, at least as far as I know, is to blow doors off their hinges, run in, and beat people to death. That might be a little noticeable for our tastes. Oh, and the fact that I have no idea if he might go insane when he does it.

I like Zweiblumen's plan; trap the house and make it a mega distraction while we hightail it out of there.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #606 on: <12-29-14/1818:00> »
I don't understand why the people need to be killed. Can't we just grab the RV and go?
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

8-bit

« Reply #607 on: <12-29-14/1819:19> »
I don't understand why the people need to be killed. Can't we just grab the RV and go?

I didn't say they needed to, but if necessary, Chino isn't going to go against it.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #608 on: <12-29-14/1826:37> »
It really depends on if the old couple are watch the RV or looking out their windows or really anything like that.  I'd prefer not to kill them as I said, if we can get away with just a snatch and grab, I think Doc would be happier.  If the geezers are watching and we need to gtfo, I'll vote we have Katsina (I really want to start calling her "Kat" but I think she'd stick one of her knives in Doc... might play with that in a few days ;)) do the deed.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #609 on: <12-29-14/1833:02> »

We certainly can, but as soon as the couple realizes the RV is gone, SecForce has plates on the team.  If the old couple is killed, there's a fairly good chance the RV won't be posted as missing for days -- old couples love heading out in their RVs after all.  So, if we steal the RV on the down low, then we've got between 15 min - 12 hours before it realistically gets listed as stolen, by my guess.  If we kill them, we could have days.  If we incapacitate them, well that might end up killing them -- old folks with their heart conditions and stressful situations in general, but if not, we could get a day or so.  If we kidnap them, we've got until we let them go, but wow, what a mess that could be.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #610 on: <12-29-14/1854:06> »
Not fond of the kidnapping idea as that is just HORRIBLY complicated, unless you mind wipe them, anyone happen to have some laésal wine handy?
If we had time, someone going over and getting them completely knackered so they passed out in a blurry haze would work, but we don't have that kind of time.
Do they use license plates anymore?  I would have thought they'd use wireless IDs (ownership ids), and like a SIN, walking around without announcing it would be cause for suspicion.  We'd need to run the risk having it on until we got clear of town, then run it wirelessly until we got someplace we could take it off the road and re-owner-ize (new word!) it.

That said, the more I think about it, the more murdering the old folks seems like the safest play... assuming it's done without leaving a trail.

Still, I think Doc would prefer liberating it to killing the old folks.  But he's logical and won't put up much of a fuss about killing them.

8-bit

« Reply #611 on: <12-29-14/1908:15> »
Not fond of the kidnapping idea as that is just HORRIBLY complicated, unless you mind wipe them, anyone happen to have some laésal wine handy?
If we had time, someone going over and getting them completely knackered so they passed out in a blurry haze would work, but we don't have that kind of time.
Do they use license plates anymore?  I would have thought they'd use wireless IDs (ownership ids), and like a SIN, walking around without announcing it would be cause for suspicion.  We'd need to run the risk having it on until we got clear of town, then run it wirelessly until we got someplace we could take it off the road and re-owner-ize (new word!) it.

That said, the more I think about it, the more murdering the old folks seems like the safest play... assuming it's done without leaving a trail.

Still, I think Doc would prefer liberating it to killing the old folks.  But he's logical and won't put up much of a fuss about killing them.

Agreed on the kidnapping thing. As someone who dealt with 90 year old grandparents (who were in better shape physically than my 70 year old grandparents), old people are not easy to work with.

They still use License Plates, and RFID chips. Probably a few hundred RFID chips, if I had to guess. Makes it easier to track on the Matrix in the case of theft, etc.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #612 on: <12-29-14/1950:25> »
8-bit is correct. They still do use license plates. I was wondering that myself but then I read an explicit reference to them just a day or two ago. I think it was in Stolen Souls, in the long section about extractions. Presumably there are lots of RFID tags too.

Ohanzee has Control Thoughts, but that has its own consequences. Brain fragging is still a major no-no.

@rednblack, I will PM you with recipe tips tonight. If anyone else wants them, let me know.

8-bit

« Reply #613 on: <12-29-14/1952:38> »
@rednblack, I will PM you with recipe tips tonight. If anyone else wants them, let me know.

I feel slightly embarrassed, but yes please?

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #614 on: <12-29-14/2002:42> »
Ohanzee has Control Thoughts, but that has its own consequences. Brain fragging is still a major no-no.

You never HAD an RV...
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english