NEWS

[5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapters II and III

• 2014 Replies

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #165 on: <11-28-14/2334:42> »
@Poindexter: works for me. It just means that someone has to accompany it physically to the cliff, which might be a mile or two away.

@All: IC up with thoughts on comments. I think we have a good plan to move forward with. As a note, Ohanzee forgot about the spell Katsina was sustaining until she mentioned it, so you see that reflected in his response to Doc. Anyway, if I still have any flaws that people can see now that we've got more input to work with, voice your concerns in IC.

@Tec: 5 hours until dawn gives Kat enough time to create a Force 5 lodge, force 6 if she stays up an extra hour (Ohanzee can set an alarm so he's up for the sun so she doesn't have to interrupt her lodge building). Since it lasts until sunrise or sunset, whichever comes first, it might be worth it to go for the force 6 so that the ritual is finished after sunrise. The only thing useful that Ohanzee can do with a temporary lodge is bind spirits, but at 25 reagents per force, he can only manage a force 1 with what he's got, and a force 2 if he blows all his nuyen on more reagents, so Kat is the best one to set it up for her tradition. Also, as a Shaman tradition, I don't think binding spirits is his style.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #166 on: <11-29-14/0040:09> »
I'll be posting ICly shortly to cover some of the IC topics, including a better description of the house and what's in the safe.

Poindexter is correct that you don't necessarily need to overthink the van disposal. Blasting caps are probably overkill. The Rover needs to make it 6 kilometers back to the cliff. In current driving conditions, that's about a six-minute drive. (You could drive it faster but you'd risk falling off the road prematurely. That could make the van easier for the authorities to find.) Now the fun question: can the van Rover drive itself for six minutes while it's on fire? An amusing image. There are other potential solutions as well.

@Chino: Don't go to sleep yet. You need to drive the flaming van. You'd probably prefer to do it remotely, but that's up to you.

@Poindexter: 1 hit is enough to not light yourself on fire. A lot of your demolitions equipment is from Run & Gun. If you don't have the book, I will PM you the associated passages. That goes for anyone else who needs equipment or rule references from a book they don't have.

I feel like sooner or later, I'm gonna need to take a more active roll in things. But then, on the other hand, with such a large cast of characters, maybe its best if one or two of us kinda play the rear and let the others shine, y'know?

As for posting frequency and character development, I think we would all agree that we don't need six people all giving directions. So far I think this has been working out well, with Ohanzee taking the lead and other people contributing their expertise. Having a couple people hang back and do their jobs competently works fine for things like combat, B&E, and overwatch. That said, there are is a big mystery confronting the team that won't be solved with skill checks. It will be through RP, finding out who you once were, and fitting the pieces together. To that end, regular contributions are vital. Some of the developments are accidental, like Chino deciding to slot that sim chip. Others developments will come to you. Several players have privately learned a lot about themselves (and others) recently, but not all of those revelations have come to light yet.

BUT, who you once were isn't necessarily who you are now. You are under no obligation (ICly or OOCly) to behave like your previous selves. You'll figure out who you are now, and whatever answer you come up with will be correct.

8-bit

« Reply #167 on: <11-29-14/0041:46> »
Oh, um. Right.

Lemme just edit that post a bit...

Edit: All right, edited. Sorry about that. I completely forgot Chino was driving the Rover to it's demise.
« Last Edit: <11-29-14/0049:25> by 8-bit »

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #168 on: <11-29-14/0112:49> »
If sam sets some traps using explosives and we end up not using them and having plenty of time to leave here, can said traps be dismantled and brought along with us for re-use at a later date?
« Last Edit: <11-29-14/1252:49> by Poindexter »
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #169 on: <11-29-14/0124:08> »
I just wanted to point out that at this point we have only been awake for less than 3 hours. An exciting 3 hours to be sure,  but I wonder if we aren't playing up the exhaustion aspect a bit too much. I've been treating the damage on my stun track as exhaustion due to exertion that simply requires an hour or two of rest to recuperate, but it seems everyone else is angling for a full night's rest. That might be why my initial watch schedule proved unpopular.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #170 on: <11-29-14/0132:25> »
@Mal: You are tired. You had an exhausting day, even if you can't remember 90% of it. With the adrenaline wearing off, and the now that you're full and warm, it is definitely hard to stay awake. Katsina seems to be handling this better than others.

@Poindexter: Sure, I don't see why not. I am sure there is a demolitions expert out there who would give me reasons why not, but tis a game. I would want to be able to, if I were the player, so I say yes.

@rednblack: The Pioneer 60 is a hunting rifle. Since that classification no longer exists in 5E, they are grouped with sniper rifles.

Just remembered I forgot to talk about the ammo ICly. Will update my last IC post with that next.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #171 on: <11-29-14/1446:03> »
@Tec: Okay, that works. I'm acknowledging that in my postings going forward.

@All: The guns I am referring to are the ones we appropriated from the hunters and the strike team. Since we haven't changed owner on them, they are likely of less use to us (no wireless functionality without risking being spotted by the owners or their next of kin). If we want one bad enough to risk changing owner on it, mention it IC, otherwise I think we should send them with the truck.

@Tec: It gets tedious writing about cleaning up all of my astral signatures IC. Is it okay if we just assume that I am cleaning up after myself unless circumstances make it a challenge? I might have already asked this, I don't remember.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #172 on: <11-29-14/1622:55> »
@Mal: Per the rules, you an astral signature lasts for Force = hours. A complex action can be used to reduce that by 1 hour. Given Ohanzee's initiative, it will take him an average of 4 combat turns to have enough complex actions to eliminate the signature on a Force 6 spell. So we'll say that if the situation you're in presents you with 12-15 spare seconds then you don't have to mention it explicitly.

Generally speaking, I'm not looking to play gotcha with housekeeping chores. I encourage people to RP how they're covering their tracks (wiping things down for fingerprints, etc.) because it helps set the tone, but tedium isn't fun. Mention it once or twice to establish a precedent and then we'll let it happen mostly automatically after that. Unless, of course, circumstances complicate things.

@Poindexter: Sam has a fantastic agility thanks to his muscle toner. He can comfortably walk almost 11kph, which means walking back from the van would take him 33 minutes. Per the harsh conditions, Sam would have to soak 2S every 10 minutes, so that's 3 rolls. The book is not at all clear about how you resist this damage, but Ryo went with Body + Insulation so we'll use that too. For Sam, that's 12 dice. You have a 95% chance of soaking that each roll and only a 0.8% chance of glitching. It seems that being a giant Russian troll wearing an insulated armor jacket is a good way to survive outside in the winter!

Cold Resistance Tests:
The Troll: Body 10 + Insulation 2: 12d6t5 6

It will slow you down considerably if someone accompanies you, as no one else can walk nearly that quickly. Ace and Katsina are the next fastest. Of course, the wisdom of walking along a road where a Nissan Hound was just patrolling with a strike team looking for you is another matter.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #173 on: <11-29-14/1635:42> »
I'm just waiting to deal with the rover before reseting the security, then Doc is gonna have a quick chat with Katsina before finding an available bunk and crashing hard.
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #174 on: <11-29-14/1906:35> »
I notice no one has our med kits listed on their character sheets. If I recall correctly, we have a rating 6 (empty) and a rating 4 (unknown uses remaining).

Also added to the shopping (or "shopping" as the case may be) list - med kit supplies.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #175 on: <11-29-14/2004:04> »
Of course, the wisdom of walking along a road where a Nissan Hound was just patrolling with a strike team looking for you is another matter.

I wasn't planning on taking the road back.
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #176 on: <11-29-14/2050:52> »
Going back through the Chapter 1 threads, there's mention of three medkits:

Rating 4 - from the hunters
Rating 5 - in Doc's armor (note to Zweiblumen: Doc's sheet has this listed as 6)
Rating 6 - from the van you woke up in (now empty)

Per Bullets & Bandages, the rating 4 kit is the size of a small backpack/duffel bag. The rating 6 kit is the size of a large duffelbag.

From the hunters and APB
1 dose jazz
1 Fairlight Caliban (same owner as the Rover)
1 Erika Elite
3 PJSS Model 55 shotguns
1 Springfield M1A hunting rifle with a smartlink mounted on it (this is the gun that Ace used to shoot down the Nissan Hound)
3 clips shotgun ammo, loaded with Stick-N-Shock rounds
Beretta 201T Light Pistol, loaded with explosive rounds
Nitama Sporter (a lady's light pistol)
2 clips Light Pistol ammo, loaded with regular ammo

Transferring ownership is an involved process but not impossible. Doc's Logic+Hardware is good enough that he can generally do it with 6-7 hours of work, or faster if he burns Edge. We will not be using the "rule" that you have to be online (and thus accumulating an Overwatch score) for the duration of the ownership change.

@Poindexter: Not taking the road will slow you down considerably as you have to deal with fresh powder snow and uneven ground. We'll call it an hour, so six tests, and thermographically sticking out like a flare the whole while. There's tree cover most of the way but there are some open spots too where there's less chance for concealment unless you get Ohanzee to send his spirit with you.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #177 on: <11-29-14/2056:32> »
thermographically sticking out like a flare the whole while.

Ah shit.

I'd forgotten about that, but you're right. I damn sure would. Hmmmm... Maybe someone follows Sam on a snowmobile (we did find one a those, right) and we both ride that back?
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #178 on: <11-29-14/2102:13> »
Yes, there's definitely a snowmobile. It's a Patrol Snowski. It's from Hazard Pay, one of the few books I don't have. A simple Matrix search suggests its top speed is 180kph. Fun!

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #179 on: <11-29-14/2107:33> »
I'm guessing Chino could follow you and and back. With us not moving I'd think we'd be safe for the spirit to go with you guys. Just my 2 cents. I'll keep an eye on you guys from the matrix.
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal