NEWS

Printing Meat. Almost as good as printing Money!

• 18 Replies

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« on: <08-16-12/1015:14> »
http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57493377-76/3d-printed-meat-its-whats-for-dinner/

3D Printed Meat . .

I guess we'll call this FTP - Flesh Transfer Protocol
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #1 on: <08-17-12/0201:54> »
http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57493377-76/3d-printed-meat-its-whats-for-dinner/

3D Printed Meat . .

I guess we'll call this FTP - Flesh Transfer Protocol

+1 for the cool find.

Guess that's what you get out of the really expensive Soy Processing Units in the higher-end lifestyles, eh?
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #2 on: <08-17-12/0624:19> »
if i understood this right, there is no mention of soy in there. but yeah, probably.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

WSN0W

• Chummer
  • Never let a friend fool you twice.
« Reply #3 on: <08-19-12/1035:16> »
That's disturbingly cool.

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #4 on: <08-26-12/0751:16> »
In a way this is a little sad. I mean if you can use it to grow your own meat, you can probably use it to grow your own musle, sinew, bone. Gentlemen we just might be looking at technology that can give the crippled their legs back. Or the blind working eyes.

And we're using it to make fucking steak. Well if it takes off, at least it'll be the end of vegetarianism.
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #5 on: <08-26-12/0920:20> »
Given the difficulty we have over stem-cell research in order to give people those things, a "Meat Printer" would also get the religious nutbars another thing to get their Magic Panties in a twist.    >:(

Let's start with steak, get people used to the idea of the technology, and "suddenly discover" that it can be used for humanitarian purposes, after we debunk the "evils" of it by feeding that intel to conspiracy nuts and we'll be able to lump everyone who doesn't like it into the same group.

All about perception.  Which, considering science, is a horrible thing, as now we have to deal with PR Hacks.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <08-26-12/1028:51> »
...you can probably use it to grow...

They key word is "probably". Growing a hunk of meat that's intended to be eaten is one thing, but growing a transplantable mass of flesh intended to go inside a person sounds like it would be significantly more complex.

In addition, a commercial venture properly licensed could generate funds for more medical research. Get us closer to limb and organ cloning.
« Last Edit: <08-26-12/1030:55> by PeterSmith »
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #7 on: <08-27-12/0536:31> »
...you can probably use it to grow...

They key word is "probably". Growing a hunk of meat that's intended to be eaten is one thing, but growing a transplantable mass of flesh intended to go inside a person sounds like it would be significantly more complex.

In addition, a commercial venture properly licensed could generate funds for more medical research. Get us closer to limb and organ cloning.

Actually, man, the original intended application of the technology was for transplanting and skin-grafts. So the idea is sound.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <08-27-12/1000:44> »

Actually, man, the original intended application of the technology was for transplanting and skin-grafts. So the idea is sound.

I know. Research for that is expensive, very expensive. My employer is very heavy into medical research, the staff here gets twitchy when they're having issues while working on grant applications. That's why I wrote that second sentence.
Power corrupts.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #9 on: <08-30-12/0015:41> »
Given the difficulty we have over stem-cell research in order to give people those things, a "Meat Printer" would also get the religious nutbars another thing to get their Magic Panties in a twist.    >:(
Stem Cell Research is opposed by religious folk because it involves dead babies. No dead babies means no religious objectors. Or at least a hell of a lot less religious objectors. Also, Christian means Christlike, what's more Christlike than giving people back the ability to walk and see?

PeterSmith: I suppose that's true. But I still dislike it. Then again, it's steak. That's free of any guilt related to animal cruelty.
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <08-30-12/0901:21> »
PeterSmith: I suppose that's true. But I still dislike it. Then again, it's steak. That's free of any guilt related to animal cruelty.

Dude, I'm an apex predator. Guilt over what I'm eating died out eons ago.
Power corrupts.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #11 on: <08-30-12/0947:30> »
Stem Cell Research is opposed by religious folk because it involves dead babies. No dead babies means no religious objectors. Or at least a hell of a lot less religious objectors. Also, Christian means Christlike, what's more Christlike than giving people back the ability to walk and see?
I'm willing to bet Jesus would beat a lot of his followers like they were Moneychangers in Temple.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #12 on: <08-30-12/1001:56> »
He did engage in a disproportionate amount of ass-kicking for a peaceful man.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #13 on: <08-30-12/1020:17> »
He did engage in a disproportionate amount of ass-kicking for a peaceful man.
I bet he'd love a printed steak, however.  ;D

After feeding everyone else with printed fish and wine, of course.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #14 on: <08-30-12/1050:09> »

What guilt?
I've never had guilt over any animal I've eaten, I've even hunted my own food, and never will. Unless of course an apocalyptic event happens and I'm forced to eat my cat or dog. Then yeah I could see some guilt.
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept