NEWS

Newbie friendly pre-gens.

• 19 Replies

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <03-25-18/0100:41> »
I think the format is a step in the right direction.

Some thoughts in no particular order:

1) I'd probably left justify all the columns on the skill table. In other words, don't center Attributes and Dice Pool.

2) There seems to be some inconsistency about what's included in the final dice pool. For example, you included the Intimidation bonus from Thunderbird but not the Improved Ability dice for Blades.

3) Many people find that new players have an easier time with passive powers (Improved Reflexes, Combat Sense) than active powers (Adrenaline Boost, Attribute Boost) that they may not know to use. I'm not saying you can't include them, but I would echo my previous advice of a short section with tips on "how to play this character".

4) I would have concerns around the drain for Adrenaline Boost. Right now this chummer here is only going to soak half of it on average, and a 3-box hit of drain is going to taste sour to many players, especially new players. If this were a bigger troll - what does a troll with minimum Body and maximum Strength look like anyway? - then it would be less of a concern, but right now chummer is going to get slapped with drain almost every time he/she pops Adrenaline Boost.

5) It'd be advantageous to separate qualities into Positive and Negative. I had to look up Watch the Suit. When I did, I was reminded that it was a positive quality, not a negative one. When I first saw it on the sheet, I thought the description was an imperative: "stay clean in a fight" ... OR ELSE. I was confusing it with Social Appearance Anxiety, which - for the record - would be an interesting quality for a character who specializes in getting elbow-deep in his or her opponents.

6) An interesting variation on this character would be to specialize in Throwing Weapons instead of Blades. That would give the character a ranged option and would still let them hit hard. Maybe not like a sniper rifle, as you say in the notes, but perhaps like an assault rifle. Missile Mastery and Precision Throwing are fun powers. Plus, I find that new players often like characters that can be dangerous in any situation. (I presume this is why so many of them take Skills A and then max out the Firearms skill group.)

7) What is Death Dealer? That's not ringing a bell for me.

8) You need a comma and a space after "Camping" instead of the new line you have right now. There's other funny formatting too. Currently "Troll" and "Nuyen" are next to each other with no punctuation. I spent a moment thinking, "WTF is Troll Nuyen? A typo for Total Nuyen?" But, no, just Chummer formatting with spaces instead of new lines.

9) Don't forget the Intimidation bonus from the custom ballistic mask.

10) He has ¥990 but only an R1 commlink? Was that intentional or did he just roll like a boss on his Low lifestyle starting nuyen?

That's all for now. Keep them coming.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #16 on: <03-25-18/0643:30> »
What is Death Dealer? That's not ringing a bell for me.

It's an FA quality that increases dmg. Thus a knife attack that as strong as panzer assault cannon.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <03-25-18/1241:34> »
New Format.  Troll Physical Adept this time, includes Character Tent.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1raCGOkdoSuwzgbErvIwbM35qhyGVZ3mG/view?usp=sharing

Updated OP with a couple character tents.

Come on now Hobbes, that's just terrible. Attribute boosts are terrible waste of action economy, adrenaline boost ugh, adding str to a troll while your using a knife and not even focus then adding death dealer on top of that?? Come on man drop that nonsense, put some real init on that character, some decent combat sense, give it a nice weapon focus katana, and stop making adepts look bad. Swapping thunderbird for stag would be nice too.

Down in the mechanical notes it states how to manage the action economy.  The character can boost and attack in the same round thanks to the Rapid Draw Power so it works fine.  Adding a Focus would mean Skills E, I didn't want to do that on a Pre-gen.  Rating 1 Improved Reflexes doesn't get to three actions reliably, Adrenaline Boost guarantees three actions.  I would have to scare up an additional PP to get to Rating 2 Improved Reflexes, and still not guaranteed 3 actions.

Improved Str and Death Dealer aren't affected by Background Count, which is kinda why they're on the sheet.  Really the only thing that Background count matters for is the Blades skill on this character.  13 + (3 + Agility Boost - BGC) is usually going to be around 15 Dice.

Action economy is fiddly, but it's an Adept that can (almost) ignore background count.  I figure moderate dice pool but hits like a sniper rifle would work out most of the time.  And 100% optimization isn't really the goal, I wanted to make sure the character had a decent secondary contribution.  Thus Mortimer's, Thunder Bird, and Watch the Suit. 

I'll see about tweaking the powers after I get the rest of the stuff up as the character is kind of squishy for a Troll Adept.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <03-25-18/1242:12> »
I'm a little late here, but did you ever figure out the rules on "Like a Boss?"  That is probably my absolute favorite code of honor.

per Missions FAQ 1.4 "Like a Boss" is allowed.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <03-25-18/1249:06> »
I think the format is a step in the right direction.

Some thoughts in no particular order:

1) I'd probably left justify all the columns on the skill table. In other words, don't center Attributes and Dice Pool.

2) There seems to be some inconsistency about what's included in the final dice pool. For example, you included the Intimidation bonus from Thunderbird but not the Improved Ability dice for Blades.

3) Many people find that new players have an easier time with passive powers (Improved Reflexes, Combat Sense) than active powers (Adrenaline Boost, Attribute Boost) that they may not know to use. I'm not saying you can't include them, but I would echo my previous advice of a short section with tips on "how to play this character".

4) I would have concerns around the drain for Adrenaline Boost. Right now this chummer here is only going to soak half of it on average, and a 3-box hit of drain is going to taste sour to many players, especially new players. If this were a bigger troll - what does a troll with minimum Body and maximum Strength look like anyway? - then it would be less of a concern, but right now chummer is going to get slapped with drain almost every time he/she pops Adrenaline Boost.

5) It'd be advantageous to separate qualities into Positive and Negative. I had to look up Watch the Suit. When I did, I was reminded that it was a positive quality, not a negative one. When I first saw it on the sheet, I thought the description was an imperative: "stay clean in a fight" ... OR ELSE. I was confusing it with Social Appearance Anxiety, which - for the record - would be an interesting quality for a character who specializes in getting elbow-deep in his or her opponents.

6) An interesting variation on this character would be to specialize in Throwing Weapons instead of Blades. That would give the character a ranged option and would still let them hit hard. Maybe not like a sniper rifle, as you say in the notes, but perhaps like an assault rifle. Missile Mastery and Precision Throwing are fun powers. Plus, I find that new players often like characters that can be dangerous in any situation. (I presume this is why so many of them take Skills A and then max out the Firearms skill group.)

7) What is Death Dealer? That's not ringing a bell for me.

8) You need a comma and a space after "Camping" instead of the new line you have right now. There's other funny formatting too. Currently "Troll" and "Nuyen" are next to each other with no punctuation. I spent a moment thinking, "WTF is Troll Nuyen? A typo for Total Nuyen?" But, no, just Chummer formatting with spaces instead of new lines.

9) Don't forget the Intimidation bonus from the custom ballistic mask.

10) He has ¥990 but only an R1 commlink? Was that intentional or did he just roll like a boss on his Low lifestyle starting nuyen?

That's all for now. Keep them coming.

Thanks, I'll update the formatting this week, I'll update dice pools to include all passives.  Build suggestions are noted along with Marcus's, i.e. I'll tweak it a bit more later.

Thanks again for taking the time to review and post!