NEWS

Which overdose rules are we using in Missions

• 14 Replies

WillAsher

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« on: <07-14-16/0908:20> »
With Chrome flesh, there are now two ways to overdose on drugs.  The Core book has you take damage if you use two drugs that effect the same stat.  Chrome Flesh has you roll on a chart whenever you take two drugs.  Normally, I would use the most recent ruling.  When running Missions, the question is are we using the Core rules, the Chrome Flesh rules, or both.  If both, then we are adding quite a bit of penalty to using chems.   So, which option are we using?  It isn't addressed in the FAQ.

I apologize if this has come up before, but Search isn't working and I didn't see it myself.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <07-14-16/1116:28> »
Just adding to this by stating that technically, the Overdosing rules from Core only takes place when taking multiple drugs (or multiple doses of the same drug) that affects the same attribute, whereas the Drug Interaction rules from Chrome Flesh applies any time two or more drugs are taken.

So there is in fact a difference between the rule sets, and both could apply.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #2 on: <07-14-16/1738:52> »
I don't see a mechanical reason they wouldn't both be used.  It's rough, but there's no reason I can see to assume it wasn't intended to be that way.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Coyote

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <07-14-16/1846:25> »
I don't see a mechanical reason they wouldn't both be used.  It's rough, but there's no reason I can see to assume it wasn't intended to be that way.

I totally agree. The Core Rules regard Overdosing, which is trying to boost the same attribute or other ability multiple times, while the Chrome Flesh rules regard drug interactions, which could happen from multiple drugs even if they're not directly affecting the same attribute.

Since one is for an Overdose while the other is for drug mixing, I use both at the same time. Drugs are powerful enough anyhow.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <07-15-16/0233:19> »
Yeah, kinda makes up for how they can otherwise completely replace 'ware for less than a fraction of the price.  It works but y'all gonna get fucked up on way or another.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #5 on: <07-18-16/0209:50> »
...this is a topic my missions group recently discussed, though no real decision has been made yet as it is felt that it can be seen either way. 

I can understand the same attribute (eg. Reaction which a lot of them tend to boost), but what about effects like High Pain Tolerance which can be stacked with other augmentations?
Forsaken daughter is watching you

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <07-18-16/0532:52> »
As far as I'm aware, high pain tolerance can't be stacked with other augmentations. The quality, which the various drugs just give you at varying levels, doesn't stack with the augmentation that do similar effects. It calls them out specifically.

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #7 on: <07-19-16/1138:02> »
With Chrome flesh, there are now two ways to overdose on drugs.  The Core book has you take damage if you use two drugs that effect the same stat.  Chrome Flesh has you roll on a chart whenever you take two drugs.  Normally, I would use the most recent ruling.  When running Missions, the question is are we using the Core rules, the Chrome Flesh rules, or both.  If both, then we are adding quite a bit of penalty to using chems.   So, which option are we using?  It isn't addressed in the FAQ.

I apologize if this has come up before, but Search isn't working and I didn't see it myself.

Please note this question should have been placed in the "Questions for the SRM FAQ Committee" so that we could have placed it in our topics for discussion.  Page references to go along with the sourcebook references also make things move much faster for the committee.

I will toss this into topics to discuss for the next call.
Ray Rigel
Former Shadowrun Missions Developer and Event Coordinator
Catalyst Demo Team

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <07-22-16/1918:14> »

I totally agree. The Core Rules regard Overdosing, which is trying to boost the same attribute or other ability multiple times, while the Chrome Flesh rules regard drug interactions, which could happen from multiple drugs even if they're not directly affecting the same attribute.

Since one is for an Overdose while the other is for drug mixing, I use both at the same time. Drugs are powerful enough anyhow.

This is also how I play it.  Mix any two or more use the table on Chrome Flesh, multiple boosts to the same Attribute Overdose as well.  Drugs are really powerful and cheap (Nuyen and Essence wise anyway) there needs to be other serious costs.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #9 on: <08-02-16/1736:18> »
As far as I'm aware, high pain tolerance can't be stacked with other augmentations. The quality, which the various drugs just give you at varying levels, doesn't stack with the augmentation that do similar effects. It calls them out specifically.
..however, say my Face took designer grade Novacoke to juice up her Charisma and Reaction (which lasts several hours).  Then a fight breaks out and she pops a cap of Designer grade Kamikaze.  Both grant High Pain Tolerance (Nocvacoke at rating 1 and Kamikaze at rating 3).  So I can understand that she wouldn't receive 4 boxes of HPT however, my real question is, would that trigger the Overdose rule in the Core book even though HPT is not an attribute boost?

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #10 on: <08-02-16/1739:47> »
...oh, and to add.

Under the latest FAQ, using drugs  just got a bit tougher as one now needs to not only roll an addiction test at the start of the session, but one after each 8 hours of rest as, well as if they use a a substance during the session, one at the end of the session.  Reductions for downtime and other factors like higher grade still apply to all tests.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <08-04-16/1846:02> »
The book says anytime there is a shared effect so in my book that means two drugs that boost High Pain Tolerance is going to count as an overdose.  If the rules stated it applied to the same attribute I'd give it a pass because HPT is not an attribute.  But I don't see a loophole in shared effect.  That's pretty universal IMHO.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <08-05-16/0427:00> »
...oh, and to add.

Under the latest FAQ, using drugs  just got a bit tougher as one now needs to not only roll an addiction test at the start of the session, but one after each 8 hours of rest as, well as if they use a a substance during the session, one at the end of the session.  Reductions for downtime and other factors like higher grade still apply to all tests.

Huh, well, that'd be a direct change from how it works in the normal rules.  I suppose it's so that short-term Missions characters aren't quite scot-free.  Dunno if it was necessary...

But if you have to make a test every eight hours of rest, that'd be so many tests you'd probably inevitably become a Soykaf Burnout in a couple weeks from drinking one cup.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #13 on: <08-16-16/0316:45> »
...as mentioned in the FAQ you still get your downtime bonus so the chance is still pretty low.  Add in the bonus for Pharma grade, and for most drugs that means a threshold of 1. Unless you roll really bad or glitch, you should still be OK.  I would imagine if the net threshold is reduced to is 0, you wouldn't have to make a test.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <08-22-16/2028:38> »
Reading the section on page 15 is really seems like they are combining addiction tests with withdrawal test or perhaps confusing the two.  That's the impression I get when reading it anyway.