Shadowrun Play > Character creation and critique

Technomancer, wait there are AIs?

(1/3) > >>

InvalidIntegrity:
SO yeah,  I'm newbie to shadowrun.  I was considering just using the technomancer premade class to get off the ground and learning the game mechanics.  Currently delved into the unwired supplement and sipping that data slowly...  Its a lot to digest.  But non the less amazing.   I'm really interested hear from anyone who has played an AI character?  I doubt I'll be playing an AI as my first character, but the character concept is pretty cool, I'll be tooling with the idea while play my first character.
Definitely want to be able to jump around different systems and hack through mainframes and such, use emplacements against our foes, or like vent the air out of rooms (at least write programs that kick in and do that!)

Also technomancer players please post you thoughts!   My GM has allowed 500bp limit (there is only 3 of us now that I have joined!)
So any suggestions?

Kontact:
Head first - first time, eh?

The AI rules are kind of slap-dash and hard to work, and Technomancers... yeesh.  All the complexity of the Matrix and all the intricate balancing of the Magic system.

Mancers are specialized, but AIs are ultra-specialized.  500bp on either will net you a monster hungry for karma, but I really don't know if you should sink yourself into building a character who's so matrix-focused unless your GM knows the Matrix rules well.  There's a quote over on Dumpshock that's always struck me as truth.

If the GM doesn't understand the magic system it gets more powerful
If the GM doesn't understand the matrix system it gets less powerful.

If you're dead set on this course, as a Matrix advocate, I can help you out.
If you'd rather play a combat hacker or rigger so you're not bored and feeling useless for 80% of the run, I can help you out there as well.

Mäx:
Technomancers make for kick ass riggers and combat hackers too.

Lansdren:
They have their place in the matrix arena but you have to admit they are harder to run at first particually when new to the system

Kontact:
Yeah, TMs make great riggers.  Unreal riggers once they can use a pair of robot arms and an emulated skillsoft to throw 18 dice on every test.

I just... rigging is complicated already without bringing machine sprites into it.  Not a 1st time character, imo.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version