NEWS

Commlink Questions

• 10 Replies

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« on: <06-21-11/2038:54> »

Okay, trying to upgrade my comms.

Firewall is software, so therefore it is restricted to equal to, or less, than the device System rating, which is restricted to equal to, or less than the Response rating, yes?

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

Yorick

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <06-21-11/2107:08> »
nope, no restriction on firewall. if you have a firewall 10, you can install it on a response 1 device.

its a good idea for all devices that a shadowrunner team use to have firewall 6. especially the smartlinks. any hacker worth the name should have a copy of firewall 6 to start, crack it and load it on everything and keep the teams security updated. analyze should be loaded as well when possible, as this improves detection of intruders.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #2 on: <06-21-11/2114:03> »
Browse, Edit, and Encrypt programs are also highly suggested, and completely legal.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

baronspam

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <06-22-11/0121:45> »
nope, no restriction on firewall. if you have a firewall 10, you can install it on a response 1 device.

its a good idea for all devices that a shadowrunner team use to have firewall 6. especially the smartlinks. any hacker worth the name should have a copy of firewall 6 to start, crack it and load it on everything and keep the teams security updated. analyze should be loaded as well when possible, as this improves detection of intruders.

Yes yes yes.  Firewall 6 always.  Also, get  a comlink that can support a system rating of 3, and Analyse 6 with 3 levels of Optimzation (rules in Unwired) so you can run it on a system of 3.  You are not unhackable, but it takes a real professional with serious gear to break your security at that point.  Even for non-tech characters I usually spend about 6500 on electronics and programs for a character.  You won't be sorry.  It utterly sucks to plan a run to the smallest detail only to have a 14 year old matrix ganger swipe the chat logs off of the troll's comlink when he goes to the Stuffer Shack for soybear and pretzels. 

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #4 on: <06-22-11/0647:36> »
Skinlink should be sufficient for a non-Hacker?

Or would you all jack in?

DNI seems like overkill for a non- technical character.

-Jn-

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #5 on: <06-22-11/0908:43> »

Yes yes yes.  Firewall 6 always.  Also, get  a comlink that can support a system rating of 3, and Analyse 6 with 3 levels of Optimzation (rules in Unwired) so you can run it on a system of 3.  You are not unhackable, but it takes a real professional with serious gear to break your security at that point.  Even for non-tech characters I usually spend about 6500 on electronics and programs for a character.  You won't be sorry.  It utterly sucks to plan a run to the smallest detail only to have a 14 year old matrix ganger swipe the chat logs off of the troll's comlink when he goes to the Stuffer Shack for soybear and pretzels.

Can someone direct me to where the unrestricted Firewall stuff is? I gave it a look at 3am, so my parsing skills may have been less than optimal - all I can find is where it states that Firewall is software (implying that it is limited by Response/System ratings).

I also didn't have much luck finding any examples where Firewall exceeded System in any nodes in the books (Core, anyway).

Not doubting you guys - just trying to find it so I can articulate it to the rest of our group. (Apparently, knowing computer stuff in RL implies that I'm the best suited to understand Matrix stuff in SR.   :P )

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate
« Last Edit: <06-22-11/0925:48> by JoeNapalm »

Maelstrom

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <06-22-11/0934:10> »
Can someone direct me to where the unrestricted Firewall stuff is?

This from the FAQ: http://www.shadowrun4.com/game-resources/frequently-asked-questions/

Does the maximum program rating limited by the System rating apply to Firewall?

No; System does not limit the ratings of Firewall since it is a Matrix Attribute. Agents, Common Use, Hacking, and all other types of programs running on the device are limited by the System rating.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #7 on: <06-22-11/0936:22> »

Awesome. That would explain why I couldn't find it.

When in doubt, check the FAQ.

Thanks!

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
  • Professionals, Don't cross them.
« Reply #8 on: <07-23-11/0342:58> »
hey chummers,
I'm looking for help understanding how to better build and untilize commlinks. so far i've come up with these specific questions.

Where can I find information on how to upgrade and customize commlinks?
I've found the table in SR4A (p.222) about hardware up grades as well as signal up grades. Does the hardware upgrade section cover every aspect of all the hardware in a commlink or just a specific one?

next question what programs would you recommend for a character that wants to make realistic use of his commlink, for things such as data searching, and editing but keep it functionally safe from hackers while not being tech savy enough to be a hacker himself? I've seen the things listed on p.127 but I'm not sure they cover my specific needs very well. I'm thinking I need a browse for data searching, edit to code things (maybe?) command, some kind of IC I'm thinking blackhammer (controlled by an agent?) medic, armor, data bomb, encyrpt/decrypt, spoof and having the pilot run armor or something else ergonomically? is this too much? not enough? I'm open to advice and suggestions

(his tech skills are data search 1/6 / 3/6 datahavens and computer 1/6 / 3/6 for commlinks.) Are there places in unwired or SR4A that I can learn about things that will make me smarter about commlink usage with out having to read the whole book? I already know I'll need an agent/IC/pilot of some kind to help me with miniumal security but what else should i take? I'm not looking to make a full on hacker, just someone who can use their commlink to help them out when necessary for legwork.
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #9 on: <07-23-11/1047:04> »
Most of the details on Commlinks you are looking for are in Unwired. Unwired pg 108 for Software, pg 196 for Commlinks.

Spy Games has a few hardware options, but those are mostly of the James Bond Gadget variety, like installing a flamethrower in your commlink.

-k
« Last Edit: <07-23-11/1051:25> by KarmaInferno »

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
  • Professionals, Don't cross them.
« Reply #10 on: <07-24-11/0419:56> »
Most of the details on Commlinks you are looking for are in Unwired. Unwired pg 108 for Software, pg 196 for Commlinks.

Spy Games has a few hardware options, but those are mostly of the James Bond Gadget variety, like installing a flamethrower in your commlink.

-k
Thanks for the reference points K but I fear I lack the understanding to use them properly... :-\
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm