NEWS

The Live Action Akira Remake

• 55 Replies

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #15 on: <04-09-11/1431:04> »
That IS their means of diagnosing epilepsy.
The TREATMENT is to not let them watch TV.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <04-11-11/2055:06> »
I'm ok with it really, but I'm sure it won't be as good.

It's not like the original is some holy grail of anime either.  Sure, it did alot to bring it to the western world, but man, out of all the anime I've seen only Neon Genesis makes less sense.  Akira was all downhill for me after the motorcycle jousting.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #17 on: <04-11-11/2325:05> »
Firefly was canceled because it was crap, and legions of Joss Whedon fanboys and girls couldn't muster enough effort to do something.
Oh dear  :o

I fully get the 'I don't like it' component. But don't dump on the Firefly crew, or I'll subject you to a million renditions of Adam Baldwin's 'Hero of Canton'

Go Mal!
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #18 on: <04-16-11/1539:46> »
Am I the only person on this board who's never seen Firefly?

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <04-16-11/1610:34> »

Quite possibly.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <04-16-11/1844:52> »
Firefly is a big geeky internet thing.  As in, if you are geeky in the slightest, and have access to the internet, most likely you have either heard of it or directly seen it.  Highly likely the latter.  Even if some didn't like it (I have even read some people say that it was cliche'd, to which I have to scratch my head), those same know about it.

Get outside the internet and that knowledge goes down, significantly.  Browncoats (what big Firefly fans call themselves) who tried to save the show did so via the internet, so there's quite a bit floating around, still.  And there are a lot more who watched the show who are vocally in support of it than are vocally against it.  I'm actually surprised no one has spat venomous hate fumed about Pete's comment.

As to an Akira remake to live action.  The downgrade from R to PG-13 has me concerned.  Not so much about language (as that was never a big deal for the original), but about the rather grotesque and gory violence the anime contained.  Cutting out too much of it will water down the tension and horror the original engendered, which is a terrible shame.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #21 on: <04-17-11/0952:04> »
I know what Firefly is and I've seen part of the movie that was made on it, but I went years without any TV and only intermittent internet access so I know very little other than the bare basics of it.  One of these days I'll have to get around to giving it a shot.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <04-17-11/1015:30> »
You can watch it on Hulu (episodes rotate out) or Netflix if you instant queue it.  The series is excellent, but many who watch it become quite sad, since there is nothing else than those 15 episodes (and some of those weren't even aired).
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Stahlseele

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <04-17-11/1129:53> »
nope, never seen or read the comics.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #24 on: <04-17-11/1421:19> »
nope, never seen or read the comics.
I'm not sure how serious you're being, but just an FYI (just in case), the comics are just to bridge the gap between the full season of a television show and the full-length major motion picture.  They aren't, by any stretch, the primary story arc or something like that.

Stahlseele

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <04-17-11/1434:38> »
Pretty Serious.
Neither seen the TV show, nor the Movie. And the comics did not cross my eyes either.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #26 on: <04-17-11/1537:15> »
It's just that pointing out the comics, specifically, made the whole comment a little surreal.  It's like when someone says "Yeah, I've never played that video game" if you ask them if they've heard about Shadowrun.  The comics were every bit the ultimately forgettable periphery experience to Firefly/Serenity than the XBox video game was to the overall experience of Shadowrun.

Stahlseele

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <04-17-11/1540:48> »
*shrugs*
when the serenity nerd crush became global, i looked it up of course . .

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #28 on: <04-17-11/2300:30> »
Eh. The series and movie are certainly worth a look.

You might like them, you might not, but at least it's not hard to get ahold of them.

-k

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #29 on: <04-18-11/0156:11> »

Seems kind of relevant.