NEWS

The Reward Loop

• 65 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #60 on: <03-29-19/0457:29> »
Got to be careful not to introduce a scenario where players deliberately take penalties or get hit just to help boost their training times... I rather disliked that in Star Trek, you were encouraged to make up excuses to roll a lot so that you could claim training.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

neomerlin

• Newb
« Reply #61 on: <03-29-19/0728:49> »
Got to be careful not to introduce a scenario where players deliberately take penalties or get hit just to help boost their training times... I rather disliked that in Star Trek, you were encouraged to make up excuses to roll a lot so that you could claim training.
True! Another thing to consider! And while such an exploit might be handled table by table, I should include in the requirements that the rule be broadly applicable. I do not think that a rule that is only functional because of how I personally run a game is a well crafted rule.

neomerlin

• Newb
« Reply #62 on: <03-30-19/0005:06> »
I'm not sure how Star Wars works but if it is at all like the Basic Role Playing system where characters make a roll at the end of every session to see if any skills they used are increased, and so the only way to increase skills is through rolling them, then I think the existence of Karma might create an inherent limitation on abusing the system. Because no matter how much you roll and reduce training time, you still have to spend Karma, so there's not a lot of utility in looking to roll all your low skills as often as possible.

But a possible solution to this potential abuse is to limit it to once per session. Not once per session per skill, but once per session at all. So the Street Samurai can't spend the whole session firing at the hardest to hit targets with his worst weapon and skill to claim it as training (and that's an obnoxious way to play a group game), he can only benefit from that once. And the Rigger can't keep speaking over the Face to make negotiation rolls to try and build that up, because if she does, she can't train her piloting rolls at all that session. Narratively, the once per session limit can be described as the character not just failing, but considering their failure and reflecting on it, which they can't do for every single misstep along the way. If the mage is thinking about why their spell didn't work, they're by exclusion not thinking about what they did wrong when they were sneaking.

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #63 on: <03-30-19/0508:06> »
Depends which Star Wars RPG you mean - that's not how d6SW (the WEG product) works.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #64 on: <03-30-19/0541:04> »
Depends which Star Wars RPG you mean - that's not how d6SW (the WEG product) works.
The one I played a few times apparently had 'if you succeed at a roll, you get to do an improvement-chance roll at the end of the session'.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

neomerlin

• Newb
« Reply #65 on: <03-30-19/0636:09> »
My bad, I meant Star Trek.

The one I played a few times apparently had 'if you succeed at a roll, you get to do an improvement-chance roll at the end of the session'.
Yeah, that's more or less how Chaosium's BRP (the basis of Call of Cthulhu and Runequest) system works. As I say, I think the necessity of karma still makes looking for lots of opportunities to roll largely pointless and then restricting it to once a session furthers that.