NEWS

Bioengineered Awakened Drugs - What else but Tempo ?

• 12 Replies

belaran

• Omae
« on: <03-26-16/1929:13> »
Hi all,

If Tempo is discussed often, mentions of the "other" Bioengineered Awakened Drugs (BADs) are more scarce. The Seattle 2072 guides does mentions "laès", a BADs rape drugs (as if the 6th World needed more shit like that), and something called the "fairy dust", described as "tempo light, with (for now) no the usual side effect.

Bearing in mind that I have not yet come around reading the Ghost Cartel sourcebook, so excuse my maybe uninformed inquiry, I was wondering what are the other "famous" or common BADs ? What are they doing ? Who produces, smuggles and deals them ? In short, if not Tempo, how BADs can appears in my shadowrun game ?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <03-26-16/2027:17> »
Well, depending on who you ask, other BADs include deepweed.

Generally, the defining line is allowing mundanes access to astral space (even if only to percieve auras) for a limited time.

Since you may be unaware (since you have no read Cartels - READ IT!), Tempo supplies are all but gone. And the method to produce it has.... gone elsewhere.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #2 on: <03-26-16/2037:32> »
Red Orchid is another, and Laes has been around for a long while; it's made from the Laesal trees found in Tir Tairngire, and they've been using it to wipe memories for over a decade now.  It's only recently now that a tree was stolen and others started producing it, I think.
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <03-27-16/1438:09> »
Yes, I do plan to read Ghost Cartel, but I'm focusing first in finishing all material available for 5ed (only Market Panic left, more and less). Good to know that Tempo is supposed to be gone, my PCs just resold some in march 2076 - which I guess is anachronic to say the best.

OK, deepweed effect is (I am guessing) giving temporary astral perception, translating into a "awesome, vision dude :) " - Laes is a rape drug. What about the Red Orchid ? 

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #4 on: <03-27-16/1510:46> »
Red Orchid is basically super-heroin, last I checked.  Can't get at my books at this moment in time. 

Deepweed gives anyone astral perception...   And it also makes anyone you dose with it count as a prepared vessel for spirits to Possess.

Laes isn't a rape drug, it's a mind-wiper.  Causes a period of memory loss when processed a certain way; there's some extremely rare and potent brandies that have other effects. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <03-27-16/1651:34> »
BADs are the 'new kid' to the drug scene. And the fact that they are awakened adds to that.

Generally speaking, magic doesn't like to be processed, especially mechanically. Which means a lot of typical drugs just don't translate well into awakened versions.

Deepweed = Pot. Ok pretty straight forward.
But something like cocaine comes from coca leaves.... and is chemically refined, would that mess with its awakened nature? I honestly don't know, but I suspect so.

So until the cartel 'figure out' a way, or find other natural awakened highs, the market will stay fairly light on BADs.

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <03-27-16/1728:14> »
About the Laes being a rape drug (Seattle 2072, p.180):

They [Laesa] have already turned out leäl, a popular new date-rape drug that erases the victim’s memory of the last hour, knocking them out for about ten minutes (which is about nine minutes longer than most of these losers need).

Good to know they are fairly rare, I (wrongly) assumed they were more common than that...

Mestoph

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <03-28-16/0951:36> »
About the Laes being a rape drug (Seattle 2072, p.180):

They [Laesa] have already turned out leäl, a popular new date-rape drug that erases the victim’s memory of the last hour, knocking them out for about ten minutes (which is about nine minutes longer than most of these losers need).

Good to know they are fairly rare, I (wrongly) assumed they were more common than that...

In this boring world you can go to darkweb(matrix) via tor and get gbl/ghb or even flunitrazepam. You just need money, ability of reading,(not on some high level), zero ethics/morality and you can become cassanova(somewhat).

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <03-28-16/1653:46> »
Granted, sadly, if a "casanova" wants to have some unoffered time with someone, it's still fairly easy to access a "rape drug" (whether today or in Shadowrun). My answer was more regarding Tempo and BADs in general. I know idea their source has somehow "disappear" (or moved) and there was a shortage.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <03-28-16/2136:04> »
Have to read Cartels for that answer :D

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #10 on: <03-28-16/2139:02> »
BADs in general are still around. Tempo, however, is all but gone from the streets, and any remaining stockpiles are mighty scarce.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <03-29-16/0214:14> »
Aren't all awakened drugs technically BADs? Chrome Flesh contains a list on page 184 and forward (Ayao's Will, Chrimson Orchid, Hecate's Blessing, Laés, Oneiro, Overdrive, Pixie Dust, and Trance are listed).

This contrasts magical compounds (which are listed on page 186 and on, and include Animal Tongue, Immortal Flower, Little Smoke, Rock Lizard Blood, Shade, Wudu'aku, and Zombie Dust), which as far as I know are not technologically engineered or processed, instead just having a natural, exotic ingredient.

Former editions have other BADs, Tempo being a well-known example simply because of the... issues... associated with it.

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <03-30-16/0751:33> »
Oh, I completly overlooked the Chrome Flesh listing on awakaned drugs ! Thanks for pointing this out !