NEWS

Free PDF with the Hardcover? (bought at PAX)

• 4 Replies

Parceval

• Newb
« on: <10-11-19/1513:58> »
Hey,

I got the Shadowrun 6th core Hardcover, which was bought at PAX directly from the CGL booth. The website states that every hardcover should come with a free PDF, but I could find no code or anything else that would allow me to download the PDF. Does anybody know how they were supposed to be distributed? I tried to get into contact with CGL already (via their store contact form), but haven't gotten any reply within the last week. Is there a better way to contact them?

Thanks in advance to anybody who can or tries to help!

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <10-11-19/1619:30> »
You could contact CGL on Facebook perhaps. Unfortunately there was an incident with the GenCon codes, so I'm not sure exactly how they're handling them right now myself.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

adzling

« Reply #2 on: <10-11-19/1743:11> »
You could contact CGL on Facebook perhaps. Unfortunately there was an incident with the GenCon codes, so I'm not sure exactly how they're handling them right now myself.

translation: CGL incompetently had no plan for how to release the PDF, then quickly started handing out free download codes which unfortunately were all exactly the same, meaning anyone with the code could download the PDF. Then CGL discovered their error and just never provided the free PDF and blamed it on others.

Source: I was at GenCon.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <10-11-19/1834:45> »
At GenCon, they handed out a card with the code on it.  Did they not give you one at PAX?

If not, you can try contacting them at store@catalystgamelabs.com and explain you weren't given a code.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <10-11-19/1838:38> »
'I was at GenCon' hardly seems like enough evidence to support that amount of rampant speculation and attacks, not to mention the false claim that nobody received the free PDF for their GenCon purchases when plenty of people did.

Anyway, that aside: The actual problem is quite simple: The Shadowrun subreddit decided to ignore their rule 4 (Don't Pirate), so one of their moderators posted the free download code on the very day the PDF went live in the stores. As such, a single code has been proven not to work so CGL needs a better approach, which might be why you didn't receive a code at PAX.

But already before the PDF came out in the stores, did people successfully contact CGL on Facebook about not having received a PDF code at GenCon. So I think doing the same about your PAX purchase is a good option, Parceval, and I wish you good luck.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!