NEWS

SR5 Question about "Emotional Attachment." [RF, P154]

• 10 Replies

Tassyr

• Chummer
« on: <09-03-17/0142:36> »
I'm working up a runner right now who went from mercenary to runner after the contracts he was given got more and more unpleasant. One thing I've given him is an old AK97, modded to hell and back, that he's named and keeps with him since those days. It's "his" gun. So when reading the disadvantages I saw "Emotional Attachment," [RF, P154], about an item your char is attached to. But I have one question.

The character has an irrational emotional attachment to a piece of gear. The character will always use this item, even if presented with a “better” option.

That's line one from the book. Now, I gave him a pair of pistols to use as backups (One's a revolver with ammo-skip for utility ammo such as stealth tracker rounds, stick-n-shock, gel, capsule, flare and explosive, the other is simple a sidearm just in case.) My intent was that he'd use these guns if it would just be stupid to use his rifle- you know, if he has to walk around in public he can't have an AK slung over one shoulder in most places.

But does that disadvantage mean he won't use ANY OTHER GUNS at all, or just that he won't use another assault rifle, ever? If it's the latter, it's PERFECT. If it's the FORMER, I'm screwed by taking it.
« Last Edit: <09-03-17/0231:25> by Tassyr »
"There's a reason Johnsons are named what they are. They'll try and fuck you at some point, no doubt about it." -Camulus

Mathan

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <09-03-17/0412:04> »
Yeah as a GM and a player who has used that heavily, ok and as someone who has attachment issues, Here is my take on it.

Considering the intent of the rule, I think you'd be able to use other guns, sure. I'd even say your revolver is acceptable if not the attachment gun.

But based on how the rule is written, you'd stick with that gun. Every time you aren't at a range where a longarm is needed, it'd be that pistol. The revolver would be PURE utility at least butting to the point of irrationality and you'd keep your current side arm over much more valuable and viable ones offered. Maybe even refuse to mod due to a 'ship of thesius' scenario.

It's not that the gun is your only weapon, but it is YOUR gun. you own it, you baby it, admit it or not you have a psychological need to know it is safe and have it close for... well whatever reason the attachment was made. if there is a question of which weapon to use then there is no question, that is it. But if your non-pistol weapon would be clearly superior or the only viable option in a scenario you do that.

Tassyr

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <09-03-17/0416:19> »
I think somethin' got confused, lemme try again.

AR is his main, 'attached' weapon.

He's got a Utility Revolver
and a "Discreet" Pistol.

Also a taser, but that barely counts.
"There's a reason Johnsons are named what they are. They'll try and fuck you at some point, no doubt about it." -Camulus

Mathan

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <09-03-17/0424:24> »
Ahhhhh ok. Well, honestly I'd say the same basically applies.

He'd have the other guns, but they'd rarely see use. in fact they'd likely be more window dressing/things he objectively knows he can use but does not.

In times when factors would justify a pistol it might be a toss up, but odds are good the revolver will see more use as it is a utility tool, and it owuld make sense for the characte to then seek a way to sneak that AR into places it could not normally go simply to have it near.

Because of this he's more likely to use the AR far more than he would the pistol if it was attached. To the point where, honestly, I think the scenario where he uses the non-utiltiy pistol or taser will be far more frequent. Because again, utility from specialized rounds and non-lethality. the pistol is ONLY likely to see play when some strange convergence of events makes it the only option or so glaringly obvious that training overrides instinct.

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <09-03-17/0806:34> »
So if you think the quality allows you to use other guns, why don't you tell us what negative impact you think it actually has on your character.

Mathan

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <09-03-17/0843:06> »
Well lets see.

First, the emotional stress/trauma of losing the item. As spelled out you do take a minor penalty on using any similar item for anything over the next six months

And yes, I WOULD make a player roll play that.

Second, it still means keeping the weapon with him no matter what, well past the point of rationality. It means a refusal to upgrade and a refusal to use the best tool for the job at every chance. You are still lugging the item around, babying it, scared of losing it. Doing irrational things to get it back.

for a -5 quality.

Again, I have issues like this in real life. I've lost items I've been attached to before and done some damn unreasonable things to try and fix it. You're not going to refuse to use your sidearm if your main gun runs dry, but you're going to do something stupid to get it back if it is lost. Something a good GM can play with.

And if you lose it, it should hurt.

The Hat from the Indiana Jones movies is a light example but a good one. Reaching his arm under a closing stone door to grab a hat. Stupid, irrational, dangerous literally to life and limb. But the memories meant that much.

THAT is the bigger part of the quality, and frankly for -5 that's a huge bit of baggage and role play to push in.

SunRunner

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <09-03-17/1019:24> »
I think this is a good role play quality that requires interaction between the player and the GM. Its a subjective roleplaying quality so its always subject to interpretation. Shure its easy for a player to take the quality and basically abuse it by working around it and some how always managing to use the better weapon. But that can be said for alot of qualities if the GM does not enforce them or write them into the story. Mathan is about where I would be with the quality. YOU want to use the weapon, your gonna work extra hard to come up with reasons to use it and keep it with you past the point of normal sanity and tactical practicality. That said its a 5 point negative, it should not force the character into suicidal situations 5 times a day. If your the team gun bunny and the play is making a 1.5 click sniper shot you can use your sniper rifle to make that shot, cause your trusty revolver or even AR is just not physically capable of that shot. I agree in the sited example the guy should be trying to sneak the AR into places you would normally just take you pistol and taser into like going to meet a Mr. J in a high sec environment for example. I would not make him actually try and carry the AR into the meet its self as that's just going to end badly and even he knows it, I would however make him do something risky like have it in the trunk of his car where it could cause some problems going through the front gate and other such things. And if the players is constantly going through elaborate mental gymnastics to never have to use the weapon then you either force him to buy off the disad or you drop the hammer on him by getting it stolen and such and hitting him with the negative quality build in dice penalty. If he always leaves it behind at home well hes gonna get robbed so his trusty AR is now missing.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #7 on: <09-03-17/1050:56> »
This really belongs in the rules question section more then creation and critique.
I believe the is RAI it means the same category of item. So if you have emotional attachment to your  Ares Pred, you will always use that over any other pistol 
So it would be up to your GM imo.
« Last Edit: <09-03-17/1109:21> by Marcus »
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <09-03-17/1633:50> »
I read the quality as saying you will always use that item, for what you use it for.  But while you may feel compelled to use that item as much as possible, you don't have to use it outside of its intended role.  If you had Emotional Attachment to an armored jacket, you would wear it as much as possible, even in areas where it might draw disapproving glances.  But you would still be able to wear an armored dry suit for diving, or an armored vest in places where obvious armor is disallowed.  You would not be able to swap it out with a Sleeping Tiger suit/Synergist longcoat combination to be worn in the same areas and circumstances where you could wear that armored jacket.

Tassyr

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <09-03-17/1919:05> »
This really belongs in the rules question section more then creation and critique.

Ah, sorry. I thought because it was a chargen question it fit here instead. My bad.

Thanael

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <10-06-17/1449:51> »
FWIW the SR5 archetype Marksman Adept from Run Faster has emotional attachment to his Crocket EBR, and aquite a lot of backup weapons.